Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Looking for patterns for bookshelf quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/looking-patterns-bookshelf-quilts-t83909.html)

Corky 12-19-2010 12:56 PM

In March it is my turn to ask for Friendship Blocks from one of my quilt guilds.

I would like to have them all do a section of a bookshelf or bookcase. Using items such as books, planters, knick-knacks, etc.

I have been collecting pictures and ideas for a couple years.

Do any of you have (free or cheap!) pictures or patterns of book shelves or ideas you have done?

I need help with instructions for the blocks. Do I have them just do the blocks with a common background and then I put the "shelf" part on? Should the books be all the way to the front edge of the 'shelf' or back a bit? What about height and length? Help!!

I am sort of thinking of having them use selvedge edges for the book titles and using their own names for the authors? Or they can make up their own titles.

Doesn't that sound like fun?
:shock:

SandraJennings 12-19-2010 01:04 PM

Sounds like a great idea. Keeping a similar background could work, then again, any pictures you find of bookcases ( in real life) have shadings due to the angle of sun light. Perhaps giving them a 2" square of your "bookcase wood" would help them. Setting a minimum and maximum for book lengths might help too.This is like a mystery quilt. Cant wait to see what you end up with in your library.

Queen 12-19-2010 01:33 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I made one several years ago and there is a book that explains how to do it. Sorry, I don't remember the title because I borrowed the book. The pictures might give you an idea on what to put on your shelves.

Mary

book shelf quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]145272[/ATTACH]

candle sticks on library quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]145273[/ATTACH]

vase on library quilt with flowers
[ATTACH=CONFIG]145274[/ATTACH]

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 12-19-2010 01:48 PM

http://www.blockcentral.com/quiltblocks.shtml

It's on my to-do list, too! Here is a link to a pattern I'm thinking about.

nativetexan 12-19-2010 01:49 PM

well there is a pattern on www.winnowing.com
Christine Thresh's site.

carolaug 12-19-2010 01:56 PM

That is so neat!

Ramona Byrd 12-19-2010 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan
well there is a pattern on www.winnowing.com
Christine Thresh's site.

-------------------------------
Someone a day or so ago asked for a single Wedding Ring pattern for her DD. I think this might work nicely for her, but have lost the link. She can use either 2 of the rings or all over the quilt with them with this pattern.

I absolutely LOVE this book case quilt, I have book cases both free standing and built in all over my house.

ChrisB 12-19-2010 02:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Corky
In March it is my turn to ask for Friendship Blocks from one of my quilt guilds.

I would like to have them all do a section of a bookshelf or bookcase. Using items such as books, planters, knick-knacks, etc.

Do any of you have (free or cheap!) pictures or patterns of book shelves or ideas you have done?

I need help with instructions for the blocks. Do I have them just do the blocks with a common background and then I put the "shelf" part on? Should the books be all the way to the front edge of the 'shelf' or back a bit? What about height and length? Help!!

I am sort of thinking of having them use selvedge edges for the book titles and using their own names for the authors? Or they can make up their own titles.

This is the one I did for a grandson last year. I added my own touches for his interests - labeled Harry Potter books, a Coke can etc. I ordered the pattern from here: http://quiltbug.com/patterns/winnowing.htm

Corky 12-19-2010 03:09 PM

Those are perfect ideas. Giving them each a piece of the "wood' will help them with colors. I think I will provide the background fabric. Maybe something mottled so it looks like light is showing. I can have different heights to the shelves, have some of them make tall books, some shorter so I have an assortment.

Thanks for the great ideas, Sandra!!

Originally Posted by SandraJennings
Sounds like a great idea. Keeping a similar background could work, then again, any pictures you find of bookcases ( in real life) have shadings due to the angle of sun light. Perhaps giving them a 2" square of your "bookcase wood" would help them. Setting a minimum and maximum for book lengths might help too.This is like a mystery quilt. Cant wait to see what you end up with in your library.

Corky 12-19-2010 03:11 PM

OMGosh, its wonderful, Chris! Thanks for sharing!

I thought I could give them ideas of what I would like on my shelves, a plant, a fish bowl, a toy, etc

Originally Posted by ChrisB

Originally Posted by Corky

This is the one I did for a grandson last year. I added my own touches for his interests - labeled Harry Potter books, a Coke can etc. I ordered the pattern from here: http://quiltbug.com/patterns/winnowing.htm