Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pay it forward... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pay-forward-t88643.html)

harryb1834 01-08-2011 08:05 AM

I don't know what has come over me today, since I have never posted anything like this before. I was just talking to an owner of a quilt shop...and things are not going so well for her in this economy. It wasn't what she said, it was more of what she wouldn't tell me. For her privacy, I will not mention more, but I was thinking all it would take is a few more customers to buy something each month. So I guess I am saying, go buy more fabric from you local shop, unless you have too much. I am sure this little quilt shop is not the only one that is in trouble.

- Harry

mom-6 01-08-2011 08:10 AM

Many small businesses of all sorts are having slow times lately. The lady at the boxes and packing materials shop we visited yesterday was commenting on being bored because so few people had been in now that Christmas is past.

trif 01-08-2011 08:14 AM

If this shop you speak of has an on-line store and you can give out the web address those of us out of the area can help.

qwkslver 01-08-2011 08:16 AM

Times are tough. Those of us who can need to patronize the places we love or else they won't be there. It's food for thought.

harryb1834 01-08-2011 08:21 AM

They have a website, but you can't buy anything on it unless you call it in. It is also very limited on the selection. I think most of the business is instore.

I would rather not publish the name of the shop for her privacy even though I know it would help.

- Harry

Ladyjanedoe 01-08-2011 08:23 AM

It's a sad reality that people simply can't spend what they don't have. The only one that really gets away with that is government.

SuziC 01-08-2011 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Ladyjanedoe
It's a sad reality that people simply can't spend what they don't have. The only one that really gets away with that is government.

Isn't THAT the truth!!!

Lacelady 01-08-2011 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by harryb1834
They have a website, but you can't buy anything on it unless you call it in. It is also very limited on the selection. I think most of the business is instore.

I would rather not publish the name of the shop for her privacy even though I know it would help.

- Harry

Next time you go there, you could ask if she would like her website details put here.

jojosnana 01-08-2011 08:46 AM

It is a shame the effect of this economy is having on many folks that we have thought would always be there. Hopefully it will turn around soon so we can go back to our regular lives.

MoMiMi 01-08-2011 08:51 AM

It's sad. I'm a scrappy quilter and use all my scraps and are always on the lookout for more. I like to be "green" and truthfully, I guess I'm cheap. Quiilt store fabrics are so expensive and as a senior I just can't justify the cost.