Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sick at heart.....and need some advice (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sick-heart-need-some-advice-t98883.html)

Divokittysmom 02-11-2011 05:33 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I have been working on my very first pieced project for a few weeks. I made a table runner for Valentines Day of 4" squares and a center section of embroidery. All was going quite well, I am very pleased with how well my squares joined together.. that's saying alot since I am a perfectionist!
I attached the binding which went pretty well, a bit too wide when I turned it to stitch it down but I am ok with it... for now. Last thing was to spray the embroidered section to remove the chalk marks. That went well also.... came back from my lunch break to discover that the water had seeped into each side of the embroidered fabric and my tiny red gingham check squares had bleed all over themselves. :cry: :cry: :cry:
I preface all of this by saying I know it was my fault I should have pre washed the fabric especially being a red print. Soooo.... now I am faced with how to repair this mistake.
Any ideas on what I can do?? I am going to put it on the table for the weekend and put a candleholder over each square just for now.It's so nice that they are balanced one on each side...But I would love input on some ideas on what to do... I am afraid tearing this apart is the only way to repair it. Gram was right when she said ' As you sew, So shall ye rip'. Just seeing of there are any other alternatives.
Thank you sew much!
Still crying! :cry:

Edited my post and added a couple of photos. I do have the dye catcher didn't think it would resolve this. I have not ironed it just letting it air dry.
Thanks so much for your quick replies. :-)

quiltinghere 02-11-2011 05:34 PM

those dye catchers do work -

Even try 2 in with the washing

DON'T dry it or iron it until you've gotten it all out.

mcdaniel023 02-11-2011 05:40 PM

Ditto what quiltinghere wrote. Use the color catcher in the wash. It works!

Divokittysmom 02-11-2011 05:47 PM

Quiltinghere where did you find your adorable avatar, that is just darling!!

GwynR 02-11-2011 05:49 PM

its very beary cute! i am sure the color catchers will work for you :-)

mcdaniel023 02-11-2011 05:51 PM

That is adorable. I sure hope you get it fixed.

nativetexan 02-11-2011 06:03 PM

I would spritz water over the squares till wet. hopefull they will blend. then if necessary wash with color catchers.

roseOfsharon 02-11-2011 06:06 PM

I agree, wash it several times with a color catcher. it should work. Fingers crossed here for you. A very pretty table runner.. I love the embroidered "Happy Valentine's Day".

tutty 02-11-2011 06:12 PM

How very pretty hope it will come out for you , sure sounds like it will from all the above posts !

JulieR 02-11-2011 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan
I would spritz water over the squares till wet. hopefull they will blend. then if necessary wash with color catchers.

I think this is what I would do, too. Maybe use a sponge so you can control what gets wet?