Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Just wondering? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/just-wondering-t99386.html)

icon17 02-13-2011 08:36 AM

Just How Many Table Runners Can Anyone Really Need?
I've never used even One, but see lots of them talked about here. I understand the fact you can use them as a quick Quilt project to learn on but after that they seem useless to me. why not make lap size ones and donate to a charity? Lori K. 8-)

KathyAire 02-13-2011 08:39 AM

Table runners are wonderful to decorate with. The more you have the more changes you can make - especially the seasonal ones.

hperttula123 02-13-2011 08:43 AM

I use them and just about everyone I know does too. I have to have a couple sets. I have a messy three yr old and wash them all the time. :)

Scissor Queen 02-13-2011 08:43 AM

If I'm going to donate to charity I give cash. They can do more with the exact same amount of money I would have spent on fabric and batting than they can with one lap size quilt.

I use table runners on my hutch, table and my dresser.

dellareya 02-13-2011 08:44 AM

My mother in law has a beautiful formal dinning room. She always sets a formal table even if we are eating pizza. She always uses a table runner. I've had fun over the years making her a variety of them. She is always pleased to get and use them.
Now my daughter uses table runners also, so I'm working on her collection.

sharoney 02-13-2011 08:45 AM

I have a few- when one gets dirty, I put another one on the table while it's being washed. And since I look at it every day, sometimes I just get tired of one and want to look at something else. AND, I like seasonal ones, too.
BTW, LOVE your fur-baby! I have two Yorkies.

dakotamaid 02-13-2011 08:48 AM

I don't do table runners however I do sew for charity. I could give cash to charity but I really enjoy seeing what one of my quilts will bring in a auction. Once I raised about 750 dollars. FUN!

I always make one for our local school carnival. Lots of moms buy lots of tickets to buy one of my quilts and that brings money to the school for things they have no money for. It is for the fun of it.

nance-ell 02-13-2011 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by dellareya
My mother in law has a beautiful formal dinning room. She always sets a formal table even if we are eating pizza. She always uses a table runner. I've had fun over the years making her a variety of them. She is always pleased to get and use them.
Now my daughter uses table runners also, so I'm working on her collection.

Your MIL must be related to mine! She always sets a beautiful table, complete with candles for every meal.

Icon17 - I love using table runners for decoration. I have a long countertop on the wall opposite the working area of my kitchen where I serve large dinners buffet style. A table runner really looks great there. They really are very functional as well as beautiful. Make one with your fav fabrics and try it out!

np3 02-13-2011 09:17 AM

Me too! I love using them. I have an aunt that only uses quilted tablecloths!

harvsstuff 02-13-2011 09:23 AM

I decorate with them, plus when they are removed there is less dust to wipe off the table!