Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > QB Help Center
How to upload better photos >

How to upload better photos

How to upload better photos

Old 04-04-2012, 04:10 PM

Default How to upload better photos

Hi all, I thought I"d post instructions for those of you uploading humongous photos. It's very easy, any one with a Windows system can do it! I skip photos like this, it's annoying to scroll side to side, up and down, then scroll side to side and up and down again!

I can help you learn how to resize, with a program already on your computer. It comes with EVERY Windows program, it's called Paint.

Go to your start menu and do a search for "Paint". Open it.

Click on File.

Click on "from scanner or camera"

Choose your photo, when it opens click on Image.

Choose "Resize". Change your photo to 25% for both horizontal and vertical. And be sure to save it to your computer!

It takes the same amount of time to do this as making me go up and down and side to side numerous times to see your annoying photo! LOL

Hope this helps!
Old 04-04-2012, 07:00 PM

I do pretty much the same thing only I use a different program. I hate fuzzy out of focus pictures. Especially when they are taken with a low DPI cell phone camera.

>I take my pics at the largest settings my camera will do. It's easier to shrink a high DPI photo and keep it clear than it is to increase the size of a low DPI photo.
>Then I download them to the computer.
>Then I transfer them to another file for web ready pics.
>Then I reduce them to 640x480.
>Then I might hit them with a wee bit of sharpening to bring out the focus.

I can do a pic from downloading to finish in about the time it took me to post this.

After that I can upload them through the forum's system, or use photobucket.
Either way I put clear pics on the forum that are easy for people to see.

Joe
Old 04-04-2012, 07:37 PM

Thankks, Christine! If I ever get something worthy to post, I have great directions!!
Old 04-05-2012, 09:27 PM

Christine, I have XP and Windows & and do not have Paint on either. Am I missing it somewhere? My sister has XP and she has Paint because she uses it to adjust her embroidery digitizing! Grrrrr!!
Old 04-06-2012, 12:21 AM
Muv

Thank you Christine.

What you don't tell us is how to know in advance how big the photos are going to turn out when we post them, and if we have posted big pics, the thread is stuck with them.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:50 AM

You should have it, did you use the search box in the start menu?
Old 04-06-2012, 04:27 AM

Open your photo in Paint before you upload it. When it opens, this is how large it will be if you upload it.

Alternatively, you have 20 minutes to edit your post. Upload your photo, check the size and if it's too big, use Paint to reduce the size, save, and upload the smaller photo. Click Save Changes. Then click the edit button again. Click "Advanced Edit". Delete the large photo. And you delete the attachment .jpg as well. To do this scroll down the page a little and click on "Manage Attachments". Choose the bottom jpg and click "Remove". Then click Save Changes.

Easy to do! It doesn't take but 2 minutes once you get the hang of it.

Originally Posted by Muv View Post
Thank you Christine.

What you don't tell us is how to know in advance how big the photos are going to turn out when we post them, and if we have posted big pics, the thread is stuck with them.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:33 AM

Thanks Christine! Someone did that for me on my last post. My pics were huge and I didn't know what to do. Next time I looked, it had changed. Thanks to whomever.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Nanamoms View Post
Christine, I have XP and Windows & and do not have Paint on either. Am I missing it somewhere? My sister has XP and she has Paint because she uses it to adjust her embroidery digitizing! Grrrrr!!

You don't necessarily need Paint. Just open your picture - on the top left side of the menu bar you should see edit, organize tab - hit that & the pic will re-open again - right click on that & you should see resize in the drop down menu, at least that's the way mine works. Hit resize & choose 800 x 640 (I think that's the right size) hit save & you should now have 2 versions of the pic - the original & the resize version. You can follow QB to upload & post your pic.
Hope this works for you.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:01 AM
Power Poster

The ginormous picture issue was a bug in the board. Most of us were doing it correctly for the most part. Christine, you may wish to go back and look at some to the pictures you couldn't be bothered with before. They are fixed now.