Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QB Help Center (https://www.quiltingboard.com/qb-help-center-f27/)
-   -   PDFs posted to the QB (https://www.quiltingboard.com/qb-help-center-f27/pdfs-posted-qb-t305990.html)

QuiltnNan 07-28-2019 04:52 AM

PDFs posted to the QB

I have come to realize lately that when I want to view a pdf posted here on the QB, it must be downloaded to my computer [Win 7 using Chrome browser]. I would prefer not to download everything to my computer when I do not know what it contains. Is there a setting on my computer that would give me choice to preview the pdf before downloading it? Thanks.

NZquilter 07-28-2019 06:40 AM

That's how my kindle downloads everything. Drives me crazy!

OurWorkbench 07-28-2019 07:16 AM

I'm used to clicking on link in QB and having it open in a new tab. However, when I'm on the computer at work (with Chrome) I think that the default is to download PDFs. I think that the work-around is to right click and choose "Open Link in New Tab"

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

QuiltnNan 07-28-2019 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench (Post 8282108)
I'm used to clicking on link in QB and having it open in a new tab. However, when I'm on the computer at work (with Chrome) I think that the default is to download PDFs. I think that the work-around is to right click and choose "Open Link in New Tab"

I actually tried that and it did not make a difference... a window still pops up asking me where I want to save it to.

QuiltnNan 07-28-2019 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench (Post 8282108)

after posting my reply, I had the opportunity to click on Kitsie's pdf link in the flying geese thread. I remembered your advice and tried the right click/new tab advice. It opened the pdf without asking to save it. The pdf's I'm having trouble with are those that are uploaded to the thread like one would do with a picture.

OurWorkbench 07-28-2019 03:30 PM

Hmmmm. I stopped by work to see if I could figure some way to just preview a pdf that was attached to a post. I did not figure any way to do it. If you can save it some place other than the Download folder, an idea would be to have a dedicated flash drive to save it to. That way it wouldn't be cluttering up your Download folder or taking up space on the hard drive.

roweed 07-29-2019 09:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]615395[/ATTACH]Can anyone please tell me the name of this pattern using 4 different Colorways? I think it has a total of 18 blocks. I have made one some time ago and have the fabric for another quilt and want to use a different Colorway.

cashs_mom 07-29-2019 10:50 AM

Interesting . . . when I click on .pdf's it always opens a window that asks if I want to open it or save it. It's the same on my work computer and laptop. I can't remember if I set it up that way when I got the computers or later. I'm still using Windows 7 (at least for now). I wonder if it's a function of the operating system to save or open .pdf's?

cashs_mom 07-29-2019 06:58 PM

I just tested the .pdf from roweed's post and it opened with a box asking if I wanted to save the file or open with Adobe Acrobat

QuiltnNan 07-30-2019 02:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
hmmmm, when I clicked it or right clicked it, it wants me to save it to my computer. I guess it may be my settings. so I googled the issue and it told me to check this, which is the way it has always been on my PC,
[ATTACH=CONFIG]615431[/ATTACH]
which seems to indicate that it will not ask me to save pdfs... just open them in Chrome?
but it is not working that way on the QB. When I'm on sites that offer free pdf patterns, for example, the pdf's are opening in Chrome and I have the option to save them if I want to.