Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: PDFs posted to the QB

Blog Entries

PDFs posted to the QB

I have come to realize lately that when I want to view a pdf posted here on the QB, it must be downloaded to my computer [Win 7 using Chrome browser]. I would prefer not to download everything to my computer when I do not know what it contains. Is there a setting on my computer that would give me choice to preview the pdf before downloading it? Thanks.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Blog Entries
    That's how my kindle downloads everything. Drives me crazy!
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

I'm used to clicking on link in QB and having it open in a new tab. However, when I'm on the computer at work (with Chrome) I think that the default is to download PDFs. I think that the work-around is to right click and choose "Open Link in New Tab"

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
    Janey & John

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
    I'm used to clicking on link in QB and having it open in a new tab. However, when I'm on the computer at work (with Chrome) I think that the default is to download PDFs. I think that the work-around is to right click and choose "Open Link in New Tab"

I actually tried that and it did not make a difference... a window still pops up asking me where I want to save it to.
    Nancy in western NY
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post

after posting my reply, I had the opportunity to click on Kitsie's pdf link in the flying geese thread. I remembered your advice and tried the right click/new tab advice. It opened the pdf without asking to save it. The pdf's I'm having trouble with are those that are uploaded to the thread like one would do with a picture.
    Nancy in western NY

Hmmmm. I stopped by work to see if I could figure some way to just preview a pdf that was attached to a post. I did not figure any way to do it. If you can save it some place other than the Download folder, an idea would be to have a dedicated flash drive to save it to. That way it wouldn't be cluttering up your Download folder or taking up space on the hard drive.

Janey & John

BOM.pdfCan anyone please tell me the name of this pattern using 4 different Colorways? I think it has a total of 18 blocks. I have made one some time ago and have the fabric for another quilt and want to use a different Colorway.

Interesting . . . when I click on .pdf's it always opens a window that asks if I want to open it or save it. It's the same on my work computer and laptop. I can't remember if I set it up that way when I got the computers or later. I'm still using Windows 7 (at least for now). I wonder if it's a function of the operating system to save or open .pdf's?
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

I just tested the .pdf from roweed's post and it opened with a box asking if I wanted to save the file or open with Adobe Acrobat
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Blog Entries
    hmmmm, when I clicked it or right clicked it, it wants me to save it to my computer. I guess it may be my settings. so I googled the issue and it told me to check this, which is the way it has always been on my PC,
    Name:  settings pdf.JPG
Views: 94
Size:  20.6 KB
    which seems to indicate that it will not ask me to save pdfs... just open them in Chrome?
    but it is not working that way on the QB. When I'm on sites that offer free pdf patterns, for example, the pdf's are opening in Chrome and I have the option to save them if I want to.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-30-2019 at 02:50 AM.
    Nancy in western NY

Blog Entries
    Here's another post that has an uploaded pdf instead of a linked pdf. when I right or left click it, it asks me to save it.
    https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipe...ml#post8282853
    Nancy in western NY

QuiltnNan I just tried the link. I right clicked on the link to open in new tab and it asked me if I want to open or save the pdf. I just clicked open and it opens it up.

Blog Entries
    Thanks... There must be something with my computer. I guess I'll just live with it for a while since I'll have to upgrade my Win7 soon.
    Thanks to everyone.
    Nancy in western NY