Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > QB Help Center
Sewing machine category >

Sewing machine category

Sewing machine category

Old 06-24-2014, 06:47 AM

Default Sewing machine category

Every week someone looks for advice in choosing a new sewing machine. I would love to see a separate category for this. We have one for vintage machines, why not one for new machines??
Sandy
Old 06-24-2014, 08:13 AM
Power Poster

I would also love to see the machine names with the manufacturers price list as well. I think it's a scam that you can price compare on most other high end purchases but not sewing machines.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I would also love to see the machine names with the manufacturers price list as well. I think it's a scam that you can price compare on most other high end purchases but not sewing machines.
For the most part this is so true, it's like top secret. My LQS that sells Pfaff and Viking post thier machines, used and new ones on line. They show the suggested price and then thier selling price. One woman called them from the west coast and said even at paying the 60 for shipping, it was still way cheaper than buying it where she lives at. The other problem is there is normally only one store for each main brand in an area so its not like you can comparison shop. I'd have to drive 2 hrs away to check out the closest Viking store. That being said, I love our Tidewater sew n vac, they have lots of locations, each one offering a little different in supplies and classes. I got a yr serger club when I bought my new Ovation and I can go to anyone of the stores for my classes. My emb shop mainly has thier classes the beginning of the week and I work those days. Sew n Vac that's closest to me talked to her other students who were going on Wednesday's and they all were willing to switch to Friday so that I could join in. It also happened that others wanted it on that day so now the class is even bigger. It makes no since to be limited on your choices, or knowing the going price in your area of anything so you can make an informed decision. Even most of the online selling places don't list prices, they say call for price list. You shouldn't have to. Not to hopefull about getting new category though, Emb users tried a while back and they said no, even though there is close to 3000 post to that thread. I heard they said because it isn't quilting, neither is recipes and some of the other things on here. By the way, do you all know that last I checked online, Sears was carrying different brands of machines like Viking, etc and they show the price. They even carry RA thread and at about 1/2 of the LQS.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:52 PM

I couldn't agree more with each of you. Excellent idea QBers! Thanks
Old 06-25-2014, 12:45 AM
Administrator

there are no plans to create any additional sections.
we simply cannot honor every request to further add, subtract, multiply, divide and sub-divide the sections we have now.

however, i do keep track of requests.
should the time come for a major overhaul of our structure and organization, they will all be considered - even if not all of them can be fulfilled.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Really, sticker shock is not reserved for new car's. Nor the "Lemon Label" I want a new fangle machine with a few bells and whistle's but with out some feed back on them from real owners and user's I'm a bit reluctant to spend that kind of money.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:16 AM

One of the things to be aware of when buying a sewing machine, is that the warranty is frequently only with the dealer where you bought it. Ask about this before you buy. It will be a pain for you if you have to box a machine up & send it across country to get it fixed when there is a local dealer right down the road or across town from you.

I know several people who bought sewing machines at the International Quilt Festival in Houston and found that not all their local dealers provided warranty service for the machines, even though my friends bought a better warranty for the machine. After mentioning that at the Brand Booth the next year, they were told that even though the Brand wanted the local dealer to service & warranty the machine, they could not require them to so. Also, I like Brother machines - My local dealer told me to call him regarding the price anyone quoted me on a machine and he would try to match it.