Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > QB Help Center
A suggestion: >

A suggestion:

A suggestion:

Old 02-29-2012, 03:20 AM

Default A suggestion:

I have a hard time using the search function (I never can seem to search for the right term and/or get so many irrelevant results I can't find what I need) and I hate to repeat a "help me!" every time I run into a quilting issue. May I suggest a separate category for "Help with quilting" that doesn't clutter the Main category for trouble-makers... uh, I mean trouble-shooters... like me?! It would help those of us who depend on other's wisdom without having to admit to ignorance or boo-boos, it would keep the wise ones from answering the same questions over and over, and it would help the company by not wasting storage space for the same "what kind of _______ should I use" type of questions.

It's something I'd like to see, so I thought I'd suggest it. Thank you.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:50 AM
Administrator

it wouldn't do any good.
people will still post the same questions over and over because they don't bother to look to see whether the information is already there. one look into the QB Help Center is all you need to see what i mean.

human beans. LOL
Old 02-29-2012, 09:39 AM

I noticed the same thing, I used to use search all the time, but with this new format, it doesn't seem to work all that well and I've gotten into the habit of not using it. You're right Patrice, there would still be a lot of repeats : )
Old 02-29-2012, 10:26 AM
Power Poster

It would not help. People simply do not look. As an example, I would not even try to guess just how many theads have been started about both Leah Day and the Blind Quilter. A simple search and people would know these topics have been started again, and again, and again, and again. Another is Walmart. How many threads do you suppose there are....
Old 02-29-2012, 02:32 PM
Administrator

the Advanced Search works fairly well.
it definitely works better than the search did in the old software.

no search engine is perfect, though.
the human thought process is still far more complex than computer software can keep up with.

as far as i'm concerned that's a good thing.

Hal! What are you doing, Hal?!
Old 02-29-2012, 09:20 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Oh, Patrice, I wonder how many people didn't see that movie? Or read the book? I agree that advanced search works better, as long as you're not me and remember to check only "posts" or whatever the appropriate type of entry is. There will always be repeats, no one should worry about it, maybe the person who answers this time will be the person who asked last time.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:22 AM

fortunately, this program hasn't turned into a hal, but there's still time! sometimes i'm annoyed by the same questions, and then i remember it wasn't that long ago those were my questions and it was all new to me! i think we each have to discover our way. perhaps, a general terms and how to section would be of help. and then for those immediate questions or discoveries, like wal-mart selling inferior fabric or suddenly having lqs fabric ,could still be brought up in the general discussion area, just not so often. of course, if you're not feeling wise and wonderful you can skip those questions and move on to the good stuff, like the pictures and humor (thank you, ditter and others!).8-).
Old 03-04-2012, 08:49 AM

Go figure...I didn't even know advanced search was here, learn something new everyday, Thanks again!
Old 03-04-2012, 09:01 AM

I use the search all the time and find all I need. I don't know why others have such problems doing so....
Old 03-10-2012, 07:18 PM
Power Poster

actually, i think the new search works better than the old board. when using advanced search, there are two tabs, try them both, sometimes i get better results with one over the other, but it is not consistent