Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2 week Challenge to use the good stuff >

2 week Challenge to use the good stuff

2 week Challenge to use the good stuff

Old 01-12-2024, 06:06 AM

Default 2 week Challenge to use the good stuff

Challenge is to use up those bundles of fat qtrs/and bolts of fabrics that you already own, but have that fear of cutting the good stuff. Happy Cutting/sewing

Not sure when it happen...but over the years I tend not to use the bundles or yardage of fabrics that I loved and go to the scrap bins. Well for the next few weeks I am going to use the good stuff. To start I am going to make PJ bottoms and then with the left overs and scraps will make cat beds for the local animal center and also for my own cat. Heck I may even have a few friends that are cat lovers. there is a very easy cat bed DYI that I found that I will be using. Just few large circles and you use a plate for the center and sew a circle leaving a space to stuff (use old pillow stuffing or small scraps) then you sew the out some of the circle and do the same. Very easy.

Then will decide on which lovely fat qtr bundle I will sew up. I have one that I have no idea why I bought besides it being beautiful...a Japan silk bundle. I think that will become a table runner and give to my dad who was stationed in Japan in the 50's.

I am hoping this will get me over the...but I can cut it...Heck I may just donate my scraps...hmmmm...that is a tough one
Old 01-12-2024, 04:20 PM

Good idea…….
Old 01-13-2024, 05:01 AM

That was easy...made myself a pair of PJ's with Flannel I love that I have been saving...for What...LOL...and only took a few hours and since I had pre-washed and was able to wear them last night. I now have a bit more space on my shelf. Rainy day here so time to pick out some more lovely fabric that I have.
Old 01-13-2024, 05:06 AM

Great idea, I have to get into the use the good stuff mode. I have a ton of batiks that I just can not cut up, I need to use them!
Old 01-13-2024, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by rjwilder View Post
Great idea, I have to get into the use the good stuff mode. I have a ton of batiks that I just can not cut up, I need to use them!
Batiks make lovely drunken path quilts. I made a few years and years ago when I had no issue cutting up the good stuff...weird how I got my self in the mood of not using the stuff I just had to get. 2024...use the good stuff! Can't wait to hear/see what you make with it.
Old 01-13-2024, 06:29 AM

great idea, home wide. Rob's auntie saved the good stuff all her life. While she had holey clothes, gray tattered linens threadbare throwrugs, all things that were upstairs in trunks glowing with beauty and goodness. I expect most of it w ent to goodwill as her kids were in their 60's by the time she passed.

I lived away from home for nearly 3 years caring for my FIL and his farm as he progressed through dementia. When I came home I got our our good china and use it every day. the thriftstore mismatch I bought when we married some 40 years before went out the door. We deserve our good stuff. If we don't want it, pass it on.
Old 01-13-2024, 06:41 AM

Such a joy to use the good fabric. I can't sew right now but thanks for the reminder to use it. I will plan a special project.
Old 01-13-2024, 09:59 AM
Power Poster

I have never saved the good stuff for later because it was to good to use now. That makes no sense to me. I use new towels, dishes, etc when I get them. I don't mind at all opening a jelly roll or layer cake for one piece I want to use or taking a fat quarter out of the bundle. NO ONE will save your stuff to be used later by them because it is the good stuff.
Old 01-13-2024, 10:47 AM

All good advice. I also have fabrics like that. I have had anxiety (self induced) thinking of removing part of a bundle. But, like with the dishes, no one is going to care about my stuff when i am gone. They will not appreciate the money spent, the value these things brought to my life.
I cleaned out kitchen cupboards and china hutch before the holidays. Of course i offered to my kids first. NOPE. No one now-a-days wants their home overrun with stuff they will pack in the cupboards!
So, ladies, lets Use it or Lose it!!
get out the good dishes and used them for macaroni and cheese~~~
cut that beautiful fabric and STOP SAVING FOR SOMEDAY!

thank you for this post!!!