Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 35 of 44 FirstFirst ... 25 34 35 36 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Fabric Moratorium

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nancia View Post
    Sandy, let me know how that does. And where did you find a piece that wide! Share the resource, please! I may have to steal it, since i really can't buy it...............hmmmmmmm............a pre-dickle-ment.............
    It was an offer on Craftsy but I don't know if it is still available. I will tell everyone when I get it quilted but will be a while as top is still in progress as a leader-ender project.
    She who dies with the most fabric, didn't sew fast enough!

The long-arm quilter I use says her machine loves minky. I've seen that some people use double-sided minky as a combo-batting/backing because of the softness and thickness. Hope that helps.

Good job staying strong madquilter.
    "Life is mostly froth and bubble, but one thing stands as stone. Kindness in another's trouble, courage in one's own." Adam Lindsey Gordon

Blog Entries
    Mad quilter, i am so proud. Of you! (But my ipad has a mind of its own-- going cray cray here!). I have ordered some seriously reduced charms from craftsy, but i always feel self righteous when i order charms from connecting threads. Their s are so inexpensive, and especially their batiks are rich and gorgeous! But I'm trying not to order anything from anywhere. Not going too well! If the economy crashes it will be my fault since dh has told me to stop buying. Maybe he'll let me. Start tossing stuff that isn't brand new or a family heirloom. That covers much of our stuff. He's right, we really are running out of room! I' m going into NYC in a couple weeks to hit a couple of stores, like mood and the city quilter and American girl place. If i leave my visa at home i won't be able to buy my tickets or feed myself, OR buy anything. But if i take it all he,, will break loose? Just trying to be a good citizen. 8-/
    The only bad days are the ones you don't get.

Alright, I'm confessing in advance.... assuming nothing goes wrong to change my plans (there's a possible family emergency lurking that could flare up), I'm heading to Lancaster for a few days next week. If that happens, I will be buying fabric, probably mostly FQ's to add variation, but I can't go to the fabric mecca and not spend money. I just can't. I'm not doing so good with a fabric moratorium.

My stash is neat and organized though and it fits nicely behind closed closet doors, does that get me off the hook at all?

I spent this weekend with a friend in crisis in Knoxville, TN (long story.) So I'm driving back through Atlanta, and of course, there's a Joann's in Kennesaw, about a mile off the interstate. I needed some Christmas fabric for my home decor swap, so I whipped in for a quick stop. I'm making a table runner, which will be this fabric and a solid with embroidered pieces on it, but I haven't calculated the yardage yet, so I'm sure I have extra, but I got 2 yards. I went to look at the remnants and didn't buy a thing, and the same with thread (mostly because it wasn't on sale and I have plenty of black and white for piecing at the moment.) I got out of the store for $15 and resisted all temptation to buy anything just because I liked it. It was a Sunday though, so the urge to go to my new favorite LQS didn't apply since they weren't open. That's probably a good thing!

So, all I'll be adding to my stash is the leftovers from the runner fabric, which isn't horrible since I don't have much Christmas fabric anyway.

I have been in hiding since the Wisconsin State Shop Hop in June. I spent way too much but what's a gal to do when her 2 Sisters from Australia want to do a shop hop???!! I bought way too much, but the shops had such lovely things. We have one more hop coming up. The "Falling Leaves Shop Hop" is always the last week in Sept. & the 1st week of Oct. so there's still no hope for me. YET! When the snow flies I'll be doing a lot of stash shopping!!

Quote Originally Posted by pokeyscorner View Post
    I have been in hiding since the Wisconsin State Shop Hop in June. I spent way too much but what's a gal to do when her 2 Sisters from Australia want to do a shop hop???!! I bought way too much, but the shops had such lovely things. We have one more hop coming up. The "Falling Leaves Shop Hop" is always the last week in Sept. & the 1st week of Oct. so there's still no hope for me. YET! When the snow flies I'll be doing a lot of stash shopping!!
    I also got way too much during the Wisconsin Shop Hop in April. I blame my DH as he was driving me to the shops.
    Sophie2

This will be a great thing for me to do! I don't need anymore projects at all! I feel that what I have will last me until I can't see to quilt anymore! If I just finish half of what I have, will be a great accomplishment!

Donna: Welcome. We are basically all in the same boat about fabric. As I understand it, this moratorium is supposed to end in November but I am all for starting a new one. Its been a lot of fun watching everyone struggle with the lure of fabric. Best of all it has really helped me cut back on my fabric buying, granted with several notable crashes.

Blog Entries
    One local guild's quilt show was today. Iidn't buy any fabric, but a Redeye sewing machine followed me home - it's a lot harder to hide than a little fabric. I had some magazines picked up but sanity reigned. Even if the most current magazines were only 10 cents, they still take up space. The internet has more patterns than I can use so I will survive without hard copies - but they are so pretty and such fun to look through. I hope there is some fabric in my mailbox. It's for a quilt at church. I only needed a yard so I bought a wide backing to make the postage worthwhile. The backing will be used before Christmas so it really isn't going into the stash. #3 daughter was making eyes at some b/w fabric when she was here for her father's memorial so guess what she's getting for Christmas. My first 10 minute blocks (centers are red with shaded black roses).

Quote Originally Posted by Emma S View Post
    ...several notable crashes.
    The crashes are what keeps me/us at overflowing! My problem is too much buying what I like and not enough buying what goes together. So when I try to use stash, I end up having to buy more to go with it, and end up with the more leftovers added to stash then I used out of it.

Dusty's Mom I am so with you on this. Blenders make everything else work but they sure aren't very interesting to buy. I made a bargain with myself, if I bought any fabric it would be blenders. Well that lasted until the first sale came along.

Blog Entries
    I think i might like quilting most for the buying of fabric! I just bought two patterns, instead of a kit. I am "vewy, vewy" good, too!

Blog Entries
    Well, two weeks in a row I didn't buy any fabric. DH was blown away how quickly I came out of the LQS when I picked up this week's BOM installment.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

Everyone is doing great, Congrats! I have been doing great this month, after my huge fall from grace in August. I had to buy a yard to finish the binding on a quilt, otherwise doing good.

I bought a couple yards for a swap this weekend, and 3 yards of backing fabric. I didn't even take the time to look and see what else Hobby Lobby had that I might like. I'm happy that I've managed to condition myself to think of the local Hobby Lobby as only a necessity store and not a want store. Of course, I was looking last night at a pattern for a friend and thought to myself that there's 1 more fabric I need to do it, because I don't have any neutral batiks, only bold colored ones. That may either require an online purchase or waiting for a trip out of town. We're going to Jacksonville, FL this weekend, so a stop at the little LQS (Gone Quiltin in Lake Park, GA) I went to a few months ago on my way home from there might be in order.
    Last edited by DustysMomma; 09-24-2013 at 03:44 AM.

Blog Entries
    I'm being good. It helps that there's never anyone to wait on you in fabrics at wal-mart. Lol, so i bought doll shoes and hats, leggings, roller skates and hair bands. Spent more than fabric would! Lol

Blog Entries
    Irish--send me your address in pm! I have a plan!! Oooooooooo! There's a ups truck outside my house! I can hear it! Maybe he has my new/ old doll! Oooooooooo, i can't wait. But.......he hasn't knocked on my door. Pout, maybe not for me.........oh, poop! But he's still here, nope, there he goes. Sadness reigns!
    Anyway, I'll talk to you on pm, ok? Ok!

Blog Entries
    Ok! Is there a doll buying moratorium ? I think i need one! Giles just arrived and is in great shape! He will join his identical twin , Jacque ( closest to jack and Jill i could get!) his clothes are on the way to the laundry,s.o.p. and then he will join the other kids! If I knew how to post pictures with this ipad, I would introduce you, lol. No doubt my techie will show me how, and then I can post lots of pics on the " lives and loves of the 18" dolls" thread.

Blog Entries
    Nancia, I would really love to see some pics of your 'dolls'. Do you make any or just buy already made ones? Do you make clothes or quilts for them or just display as is? I used to make dolls but they are a lot of work and I discovered most little girls did not want a handmade doll. Sigh! Now I am into quilts and I make them for me and enjoy every minute.

Blog Entries
    Years ago i made dolls and sold them at craft markets, but after designing a bunch of them it became tedious. I'm not good at tedious and repetitive. The dolls I'm working with at this moment are the 18" pretend American girl dolls, especially the boys, who are so hard to find. I make the clothes and since I have a following of four little girls i keep busy, when i want. I'm starting to make halloween costumes, developed from patterns and then adding my own twist. Yes, it's true! I'm twisted, lol !!!! I need the patterns to be sure i have the right sizes and proportions. Since the girls are all pretty young there will be a lot of princesses. For my girls there will be at least one fairy, and I can see some pirates for the boys, maybe even Captain Hook , who knows! I bought some fabric perfect for mermaids, so that will have to be there too. So many ideas, so little action!

Quote Originally Posted by nancia View Post
    So many ideas, so little action!
    Love that. I'm so with you there!
    "Life is mostly froth and bubble, but one thing stands as stone. Kindness in another's trouble, courage in one's own." Adam Lindsey Gordon

Blog Entries
    I signed up for the Peggy Martin class at Craftsy "Strip-pieced Paper Piecing" and love it. I already checked my stash for suitable contrast pieces big enough to do one of her quilt patterns. Can't wait to get started.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

Blog Entries
    Madquilter- be sure and post pics of your progress with the Craftsy class. I am curious as to how it goes. Thanks.

Madquilter: Looks like a lot of fun. I have one of her other books that I really enjoy. Please let us see as you go along. Have fun.

Page 35 of 44 FirstFirst ... 25 34 35 36 ... LastLast