Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 42 of 44 FirstFirst ... 32 41 42 43 ... LastLast
Results 1,026 to 1,050 of 1079

Thread: 2013 Fabric Moratorium

My real down fall.
    I went out of town to older son's for Tday. This was costly trip I can tell you. My younger son drove me there the Sunday before and came and got me the Friday after. I paid the gas of $200. That pickup eats gas. Trip was okay. I had not been shopping for material down ther for at leas 3 years or more. I told my son I had to stop on way back for material. Ends up a friend of DIL there drove us to the next town (where I wanted to buy material) and bought material at both Cubbs. One jus a sewing shop and the other Cubbs=Ben Franklin. If we stop end of Oct and start again Jan 1st I am fine. I knew I would not be down there again for maybe a year as not driving. Material like $10 a yard there. Walmart here is like $10 a yard. I picked stuff I wanted for quilts. Must have gotten 30 yds or so. I had planned to buy a little material but not that much. Younger son asked if I had gotten my material. Yes, he is for me getting material it seems. 3 years ago I bought John Deere panel and a yard of JD equipment to cut for appliques. I made him the quilt and he really likes it. First quilt I made with panel and borders and appliques. It took me time. Was moving. I did pretty good the res of the year not buying material.

Colorado: Woww! I think one of the penalties for falling off the wagon should be you have to show pictures. Thirty yards, about 3.33 queen size quilts, not counting backing. Most of us on this thread have stashes that rival small fabric stores, how big is yours?
    I am old enough to remember when planning the expenses for a trip did not include gas. It was such a small expense no one ever gave it a second thought. Just last weekend I spent over a hundred dollars on gas so I feel your pain.

Blog Entries
    All anniversaries count as far as I'm concerned - particularly the exes.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

Blog Entries
    Hmmmm.....i don't have an ex. 37 years with the same man, but no anniversary till April. That's a long wait! I will do my best!
    The only bad days are the ones you don't get.

Quote Originally Posted by mom-6 View Post
    Don't know if that counts or not, but it should! My friend since second grade recently celebrated the 37th anniversary of her divorce, so go for it. 
    December 6th was my 8th "nonaversary" as I call it. The 8 yr anniversary of my divorce from him. This is the first time that day has come & gone without me happily thinking about it.

I'm not up to the stash size of a small quilt shop, but the man says I'm getting there. The Quilting Hen is having a $4.99/yd end of bolt sale. Cotton, flannel, batik, all sorts of brands & 1.5 to 16 yards in stock per item. There's a few quilting magazines on the page too. I made it out alive though. Zero purchase.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nancia View Post
    Hmmmm.....i don't have an ex. 37 years with the same man, but no anniversary till April. That's a long wait! I will do my best!
    How about I share my anniversary with you and then you share yours with me in April? But wait - weren't we supposed to be on a moratorium????? I am going to NOT buy fabric but buy gadgets instead (rulers and needles for my quilting machine).
    Martina

I bought fabric and other sewing stuff for my birthday in November, but didn't go too crazy. No fabric purchases since and am trying to continue with that. I haven't been able to sew much either. Merry Christmas everyone.
    "Life is mostly froth and bubble, but one thing stands as stone. Kindness in another's trouble, courage in one's own." Adam Lindsey Gordon

Emma,
    Stash is large I guess seeing others mine is not that bad. If I pile some here and there not so big. DIL was packing some of it. I had some packed for moving, I really do not know what and how she packed it. Just labled it material I guess. I have no idea what is in the boxes. Ones I had labled I put what. She is not a sewer or quilt maker.

Last month, Nov, I was 82.

Blog Entries
    Madqulter , you're so sweet! I' m happy to share the anniversaries, but not the man! Lol! Tho' there have been days you could have had him for a quarter, and no returns or refunds! All in all, he 's a keeper, but 37years is a long time to go without a fight so of course, we've had a few. But he just bought me a Viking serger, so can't ditch him now. 8-)

Blog Entries
    Nancia, I got my own and I totally understand. lol We did go to the store today and I picked up a few rulers (well, more than a few actually). I am such a happy and lucky girl. Pat paid for the loot and he refused to tell me how much. So I gave him a big hug and a thank you and now I have to save for the circle set of rulers.
    Martina

Blog Entries
    Glad I had my stash today--just eliminated 1 1/3 yds of fabric from it. GD's and I made potholders (5 of them) for teacher gifts--the one with the 4 pieces folded in half--easy for 7 and 10 yo to put together. No I won't go and replace the fabric and may go and put together a few more for the family members to enjoy.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    I donate quilts to the AAQI.

I have a great idea! I am starting a medallion style quilt along in the block of the month category .. check it out. I think you could use scraps and fabric in your stash absolutely. I bet if you put one solid with it, say white or black or whatever goes with your scraps the most.. you could make your rounds all scrappy and use up lots of your little fabrics. Or your bigger ones if you have yardage. 3 yrds focal fabric and the rest stash.. see grand way to pick away at your stash. Mine is two shelves long and about 100 fq's and its making me very nervous. I plan to pick away at them and if necessary buy only solids such as more kona black or bright white that makes it easy to work with the others. So does that count as a moratorium for 2014 if I need solids so I can beat up my stash??
    Linda
    Here today... why what a lucky bunch we are.

Blog Entries
    Are we getting a new set of rules for January? Can we have a link here to the new thread, please?

I have been very good this last month I made 4 22" bears, 4 pot holders, 6 sets of pillow cases and a pair of jammey bottoms out of my stash no new fabric since black friday

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nancia View Post
    Are we getting a new set of rules for January? Can we have a link here to the new thread, please?
    I'll start a new thread for 2014, with the same "rules" as this year (since everyone makes up their own anyway )
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

I'll be watching for the new thread in 2014. I have really enjoyed reading all the entries. Maybe next year I will be a little better on my purchases, but no promises!
    Sophie2

Can't seem to keep to moratorium, but doing much better on the stash busting. Most of the time I have at least some of the fabrics on hand for any project I want to start. Do still usually have to get one or more to coordinate with what I have.

Blog Entries
    I can't believe I haven't made a fabric purchase in December. Not one. If I keep this up I might actually make a dent in my stash.
    Vivian
    Yukon Territory, Canada
    www.quiltingunderthemidnightsun.blogspot.ca

I have to confess. I bought fabric in 2013. A lot. This will NOT happen in 2014. I swear it! All quilts will be made from Fabric already in the Fabric Museum!

I haven't purchased anything in Dec but I have some JoAnn's coupons that are begging to be used. Congrats Viv! Stay strong, I will fall from grace for you.
    Bluelady, have you ever sought funding for the "Museum"? Maybe I can get mine declared a National Treasure and at least get tax exemption.

Blog Entries
    I can go you all one further! Not only have i bought fabric in December, i haven't used any! I am a mess right now! I was doing really well till I decided to make a sweater for my dolls. 1 sweater, many dolls, they share. But I SWEAR ( often and loudly, expletive deleted) no fabric for quilting. I am making an apron for my daughter, a smaller scale apron for my almost dgd ( same print, but smaller) and an even smaller scale same print aprons for her dolls, so they can all cook together. Wish i remembered how i posted pics, cause it was so easy, but now it eludes me! Anyone can help me with my ipad? Oh, and about 4 pieces to make a needle case for a Christmas party swap ( and decided to give one I've already made, told you, I'm a mess!)

Nancia: Sounds like you are in a creative frenzy, in a good way. Can't help you with the Ipad, I have a standard old PC. Wish I could see some pictures. Went to JoAnns today and found the perfect fabric for a medallion quilt along being put on my Jabba and Brat on the board. It starts in January, I can hardly wait!

Blog Entries
    Just bought 3 yds of fabric--2 for 2 more kid capes, but using lining from the stash and then some college logo items to make for the big kids. Sigh..
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    I donate quilts to the AAQI.

ok just figured this out.. this moratorium stuff.. ok its like saying Monday I am going to start a diet. suddenly you justify well its Saturday I can still have. ice cream and French fries and oh that pizza looks good its not Monday yet.. you see here I sit thinking well sure I can do that I truly want to use up a bunch of my staff and finish ufos.. so I think.. better buy it now ....I want more dark blenders like black and dark blues/greens so I can well mix them with the scraps to make things all matchy matchy. I have the whites/creams. Now am I falsely justifying a purchase due to the diet syndrome? argh pirates. but I do think (here I go again roll your eyes) in order to take those fifty different large scraps and make a cohesive quilt or five I need something to pull it all together. and those forty yards of fabric I own and make something out of them.. oh dear I think I failed and I haven't even started!
    Linda
    Here today... why what a lucky bunch we are.

Blog Entries
    Elisabrat, U R 2 funny.
    Martina

Page 42 of 44 FirstFirst ... 32 41 42 43 ... LastLast