2014 Fabric Moratorium

Old 10-17-2014, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
I so understand, MadQuilter. It's like suffering a caffeine withdrawal headache! So lucky we have someone like Madamekelly to inspire us. Back to the scraps.....
Confession time- DH was put on permanent disability so it was a little easier for me than it might be for you. When the money doesn't exist, it is easy not to buy anything. Thank the stars I have enough stash to last me the rest of my life, and still leave some for my daughters to sell when I am gone.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:55 PM
Power Poster

I'm retired, but my BFF is still employed. I've been trying to get her to come over & play (quilt) for a while now. They came for dinner this evening & wandered into my dining room (aka sewing area) and was blown away by my fabric collection. I mean totally amazed. I was embarrassed to tell her that what she saw was just a small amount of my stash, just what I had pulled from my fabric storage area to work on current projects. I had been telling her to that if she wanted to quilt, just come over and DO NOT BRING ANYTHING!!!. I think she finally believes me.
Old 10-17-2014, 04:56 PM
Power Poster

I am so proud of myself: Went to Joann because I needed a piece of mesh or tulle. I am killing poor Sunbonnet Sue again and the latest adventure has her being beamed up into a space ship. Right now she is floating ON the beam of light and I want to put some mesh over to make it look like she floats IN the beam. Bought a small piece of mesh and a gift for the next quilt retreat exchange. I had a 40% off a single item and 20% off the entire order. Walked out with a $13 bill. YES!
Old 10-17-2014, 05:30 PM

I'm starting the second year of my personal moratorium. I'm about to move into a 2 bedroom apt on the south side of the building. I am going to sort the sewing room out into stuff I really want and what I'm likely to use. I'm not putting a time limit on the "likely to use" pile though. I'm pretty sure there's going to be plenty that I can live without and I'll either gift it or sell it when I have time.

In the last year I've bought 5 spools of thread and 1 yard of fabric. I've made 8 wall hangings this year for my "pencil" series totally from stash. They're all sized so they hang on a hook with a new pencil in the corner pockets. For some of the wall hangings I used some of the patterns from the Year in a Snap series that I did and some of them are totally my design. When I have time I'll find a good spot out in the hall to take some pics of them this weekend and post them.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:20 PM

I'm using some leftover Stonhedge for a church project. They're small, but still... Other than that, I've started a quilt and had to buy background fabric. The top is done and is square. That's not making me happy, so I've figured out how to make it more rectangular. It seems that the more I sew, the more scraps I have!! I haven't bought any fabric in over a month...so I'm happy!
Old 10-17-2014, 06:28 PM

Scissor Queen...your post #794 intrigues me. (" I've made 8 wall hangings this year for my "pencil" series totally from stash. They're all sized so they hang on a hook with a new pencil in the corner pockets. For some of the wall hangings I used some of the patterns from the Year in a Snap series that I did and some of them are totally my design. When I have time I'll find a good spot out in the hall to take some pics of them this weekend and post them.") I am most certainly looking forward to seeing pictures.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by SandyinZ4 View Post
Scissor Queen...your post #794 intrigues me. (" I've made 8 wall hangings this year for my "pencil" series totally from stash. They're all sized so they hang on a hook with a new pencil in the corner pockets. For some of the wall hangings I used some of the patterns from the Year in a Snap series that I did and some of them are totally my design. When I have time I'll find a good spot out in the hall to take some pics of them this weekend and post them.") I am most certainly looking forward to seeing pictures.
There's plenty of wall space out in the end of the hall that gets good light so I'll take pics of the two series hanging together. I hang the larger ones in my cubical at work and I hang the smaller ones on the outside of the glass sliding door. I think I started the original series some time in 2007.
Old 10-19-2014, 11:12 AM
Power Poster

Yesterday was another proud moment in the life of Mad. Hubby and I had some business to attend in a different part of town. I passed 2 LQS, JoAnn, Beverly's and Michaels and didn't stop at any of them. Did I want to? Of course! But I heard you ladies talking me out of it. Even DH was a good boy and didn't try to convince me otherwise. YAY!
Old 10-19-2014, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by SandyinZ4 View Post
I posted pics of the series in the Pictures forum. They're all titled Pencil Series.
Old 10-19-2014, 04:19 PM

Martina: Really a little worried about you. Is your sudden interest in your Sunbonnet Sue in any way related to your withdrawal from fabric buying? Maybe we should add stable mental health as one of excuses for buying fabric. Has your new baby come out of the box yet?