Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2016 UFO Challenge of the Month >

2016 UFO Challenge of the Month

2016 UFO Challenge of the Month

Old 02-26-2016, 06:48 AM

My latest UFO finish. Started this top in November - actually, started & finished the top at a retreat that month - then stashed it in my "to be quilted" pile for a few months. Done now, with a fancy backing to go with. The block design isn't mine, but the construction method is (I was not keen on the partial seams in the one I found online).
[ATTACH=CONFIG]543514[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]543515[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails p2240698.jpg   p2240699.jpg  
Old 02-26-2016, 06:54 AM

Toot Toot, Rryder! Two beautiful UFO finishes. The purple one is my favorite so far. I think it's the color and the more orderly nature of it, the straight lines, that appeal to me. Really lovely. Congratulations!
Originally Posted by rryder View Post
Here's my 5th and 6th Feb. finishes. The last picture shows the way these are mounted, for those who've asked how I do it.

Rob
Old 02-26-2016, 06:58 AM

Toot, Toot for you Krista! Congratulations on your UFO finish! The quilting really shows up nicely on the back in the darker areas. I don't see it much on front but I bet it really works well with the design. Terrific job.
Originally Posted by kristakz View Post
My latest UFO finish. Started this top in November - actually, started & finished the top at a retreat that month - then stashed it in my "to be quilted" pile for a few months. Done now, with a fancy backing to go with. The block design isn't mine, but the construction method is (I was not keen on the partial seams in the one I found online).
Old 02-26-2016, 07:09 AM

So, UFO Challenge members, we're nearing the end of February. We have a weekend coming up plus February has an extra day this year so there's an opportunity for some more finishes. I'll post February's finishes early in March to allow everyone a chance to post for February. Last month I didn't do that and I changed the tally a couple of times. I'll save myself the trouble and you the confusion by holding off a bit. (FYI, my count puts us at 49 finishes for this month. Nice job.)

As for me, no finishes this month but I finally broke down and took one to the LA yesterday. I should have it back in a few weeks, maybe sooner, then I'll put a binding on it and call it done. I also have a batik top that I keep planning to start quilting and don't. MAYBE it'll be done next month too.

If you have nice weather by you, don't forget to get some fresh air between your quilting finishes this weekend. Enjoy!

Last edited by Janice McC; 02-26-2016 at 07:12 AM.
Old 02-26-2016, 07:26 AM

Neat quilt Krista, I really like the way the backing you pieced relates to the front.

Rob
Old 02-26-2016, 08:02 AM

Way to go Rob, two more down. You will have a great selection at your show. I will agree with others, I really like the purple one. Also, thank you so much for your mounting instructions and picture.

Kristkz, what a beautiful quilt. I love the way you can use a focal fabric without cutting it all apart that the pattern allows. What is the name of the pattern? Also, I really like the way you pieced to back to carry over to the design on the front.

Congratulations to you both on your February finishes.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Anoka Quilter View Post
Kristkz, what a beautiful quilt. I love the way you can use a focal fabric without cutting it all apart that the pattern allows. What is the name of the pattern? Also, I really like the way you pieced to back to carry over to the design on the front.
Thank you. I don't know the name of the pattern. I originally found the block and some layout ideas here http://www.sewmamasew.com/2012/02/mo...ary-sew-along/, and then rewrote it to remove all the partial seams and itty bitty pieces they used in assembly. My instructions are on the Ottawa Modern Guild blog here http://ottawamodernquiltguild.blogsp...-of-month.html (click on "March")
Old 02-26-2016, 09:40 AM

Thanks for the instructions and links kristakz.
Old 02-26-2016, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by kristakz View Post
Krista I love your quilt!! So eye catching and fun!
Old 02-26-2016, 12:25 PM
Power Poster

Your quilt is beautiful, Krista. It has so much movement in it. Great modern quilting too.