Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2021 Old School BOM Discussion and Photos >

2021 Old School BOM Discussion and Photos

2021 Old School BOM Discussion and Photos

Old 02-16-2021, 12:47 PM

Bev, your pinks are seriously right up my alley, love those prints!

SBG, Just pop the blocks in your orphan pile/drawer and forget about them month to month? It's when you have a project out all the time that you tend to want to get it finished and off the table...

Besides getting flowers from my husband on Valentine's Day, I thought I'd show you the darling charms and jelly roll my sister gave me as an unexpected Valentine's Day gift yesterday! What a treat! I've made a 1930's reproduction D4P quilt in the pastel prints paired with white. It was a block swap done here on the Board. But I haven't used the darker 1930's prints and I'll use these with colors instead of whites, so this quilt will be quite different than the other.
Attached Thumbnails valentines-day-2021a.jpg   2030-memories.png   valentines-day-2021.jpg  

Last edited by givio; 02-16-2021 at 01:13 PM.
Old 02-16-2021, 04:27 PM
Power Poster

Love your Valentine's Day gifts, Giv, and your quilt! D4P looks great in 30's repros.

The trouble with my BOMs is that I've started 3, and each has a little collection of fabrics to go with it (to make the other blocks out of). Too much for the orphan block drawer!
Old 02-16-2021, 06:16 PM

I've finished up my Merry Mayhem and BH mystery tops, so am ready to join in here. SBG, can you work on something else while waiting for the next block to come out? This is the perfect pace for a plodder like me.

Blueridgebev, that is a pretty block!

givio, your d4p is beautiful, as are those 30s fabrics (and the plant).

Here is my first month's block. I'm using a bundle I bought from Quilted Twins (I find their prices hard to resist), plus some stash fabrics. I thought I might try something different with the center of the autograph block, as I am not an embroiderer.

edit: Sorry for the purple background. I need to learn to put something neutral down when taking photos.
Attached Thumbnails img_6119_fotor2.jpg  
Old 02-16-2021, 06:44 PM
Power Poster

That looks great, joe'smom!

SBG, can you work on something else while waiting for the next block to come out?

Yes, will have to! A lot of something elses.
Old 02-17-2021, 05:44 AM

joe'smom, Good to see you here! I'm still working on the border of my MM NYD top, I'm adding more to make it twin size. It was nice to see yours done! Love the mix of colors on your January block!

Last edited by givio; 02-19-2021 at 05:59 PM.
Old 02-17-2021, 05:42 PM
Power Poster

Here are my February blocks in the civil war prints, and the 30s prints. Still need to do my third one, in moderns. I really like this block!

Attached Thumbnails img_0807.jpg   img_0808.jpg  

Last edited by sewbizgirl; 02-17-2021 at 05:44 PM.
Old 02-18-2021, 12:54 PM

sewbiz, your blocks are beautiful! I particularly like the CW one. This block had struck me as a bit boring, but seeing yours, I feel quite enthused about it.

I've never made a sampler before, and I'm concerned about the stash fabrics I pulled to go with the bundle I'm using, which has a wide range of colors. Is this star point fabric I chose incompatible with my first block?
Attached Thumbnails img_6229_fotor2.jpg  
Old 02-18-2021, 01:54 PM
Power Poster

I wouldn't say 'incompatible', but very different from your first palette with pinks, purples and green. If you use it more than once, it will blend better in the overall quilt. Sometimes you just have to keep making block, to see.

I usually make scrappy quilts, so working within a little group of fabrics is something new to me.
Old 02-19-2021, 01:10 PM

Here is my month 2 block. Something was staining my background fabric in places, so I scrubbed off my wool mat, which has scorch marks, thinking it might be that; I wiped down my iron with a wet rag (and now it no longer slides), and I dumped the small amount of Best Press that remained in the bottle (although, why it would not stain for months and then start staining I have no idea). I then washed the block, and the staining came out (but then my carefully pressed block was a stringy, wrinkled mess). I'm hoping nothing of the sort happens today. I'm going to re-make block 1 because I realized I have no value contrast between my star points and the background.

Attached Thumbnails img_6237_fotor.jpg  
Old 02-19-2021, 03:43 PM
DJ

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Pretty block, DJ. I think part of the BOM is to expose us to new techniques. If you prefer your own method, no reason to change. I haven't made the block yet, myself.
Yes, I do realize that. I didn't know I wouldn't like the technique till I tried it, so it was a good learning experience, I guess.

Love the blocks I'm seeing! So interesting to see the same block in so many fabric combinations.