Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Barbara Brackman's "Stars in Her Crown" >

Barbara Brackman's "Stars in Her Crown"

Barbara Brackman's "Stars in Her Crown"

Old 03-05-2019, 06:10 AM

I've done quite a bit of paper piecing, but don't think any of these blocks really need to be done that way. I would probably use use templates and go that route, but I'd over size and trim down as I sewed.

When I do paper piece, I always trim and fully remove the paper before joining any sections.

I've printed a few of these out, but can not get them to print the correct size no matter what I try. I figure the only way I'll get them all to end up the same size is if I draft them myself. But at least they are very simple blocks so that would not be hard.
Old 03-05-2019, 05:26 PM

Macybaby- I had a great deal of difficulty with sizing. See post # 36, #46 and #49. I found problems with the original pattern on the blog and then even purchased it from her etsy store but there were still problems with the print out- some blocks were out by 1/32" to 1/4". I was very disappointed that it wasn't user friendly to print to the correct size from the blog and then also especially after purchasing it. BB had stated that this pattern could be either made using templates or paper piecing. I will pm you.
Old 03-05-2019, 05:29 PM

I haven't tried printing them but already knew if I was going to do this I would draft them myself. I also completely agree w/ you about going the template route. I'm not afraid of FPP, I have done several very complicated ones, but like you say these are simple enough to use templates.

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I've done quite a bit of paper piecing, but don't think any of these blocks really need to be done that way. I would probably use use templates and go that route, but I'd over size and trim down as I sewed.

When I do paper piece, I always trim and fully remove the paper before joining any sections.

I've printed a few of these out, but can not get them to print the correct size no matter what I try. I figure the only way I'll get them all to end up the same size is if I draft them myself. But at least they are very simple blocks so that would not be hard.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:07 PM

This one is my favorite, I might just draft it out as a small block for the fun of it.
Originally Posted by costumegirl View Post
Here is my Block 4 Affie - sorry taken at an angle

[ATTACH=CONFIG]608251[/ATTACH]
Old 03-06-2019, 05:31 PM

I like most of the blocks - Block 4 & 7 are my favorites.

Kassaundra -I know that you are always so creative with your designs and have such interesting results! I would love to see what you do with these blocks - When you are ready to do them please post pics of your fabrics, process and blocks

I agree with all the comments and if starting again I would probably do some differently to make it easier. I just jumped right in when I first started without thinking it through first & I know I will be fiddling around and re-pressing the ones that are made to get the seams flatter and less bulky.

When I placed the 9 blocks together DH made the comment that they were nice but the finished piece will not be big enough for our bed - LOL he thinks all quilts should be bigger ones to put on his 6'4" frame!
For my second set I will move around the fabrics and change their placement for variety and may add/change up a few blocks from other sources that will work in ok with the others.
Old 03-09-2019, 05:16 AM

Good Morning! BB has posted the border info on her blog I think that is is going to be the perfect frame for this! Be sure to check it out!

http://barbarabrackman.blogspot.com/...10-border.html
Old 03-09-2019, 05:28 AM

Here are all of my 9 blocks just placed together - they may not be put in this arrangement in the final piece.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]609972[/ATTACH]

I won't be joining them together until I make 9 more to have a larger quilt - more blocks coming near the end of next week

Please comment on this design or show pics of your fabrics and progress on any of the blocks - would love to see them!
-
Attached Thumbnails 9-blocks-cropped-resized.jpg  
Old 03-09-2019, 02:42 PM

I love your colors - that is going to be very pretty. I love the secondary blue stars.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:51 AM

Thanks Macybaby At times it was a struggle but I'm happy with the results so far. LOL I think my daughter is going to claim this one. I was going to add a small diamond in the middle of the blue stars but I think I might leave them as is.

The border that BB gave yesterday continues the secondary star motif into the edge.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:03 AM

I did draw up templates, but couldn't get as accurate as I would have liked, mostly b/c of how small I went. I believe if I had done the full sized block the templates would have worked better. However not all is lost I am using those templates to cut my shapes and using the freezer paper method to piece them. This is my first time w/ freezer paper fpp and I do like it a lot. Here are my fabrics.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]610194[/ATTACH]

Here is 1/16th of my finished block, it is 3.5 x 3.5

[ATTACH=CONFIG]610196[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0131.jpg   dsc_0132.jpg