Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek >

Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek

Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek

Old 11-10-2020, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
Thanks for the responses to my gray query. I can picture it in real life, as in your photo, Ice, but not for my quilt
I ordered the colors from Sherwin Williams and then I'll start choosing. I'm not really a lover of purple so that's not
an option. I really like gray fabrics that are so popular now but not with this..........\
Ditto with parakeet- nope!!!
Hey, Susie....I use a lot of gray in my quilts, which is why this quilt appealed to me. BH used the scraps from this Mystery on her new pattern, Appalachian Autumn, as her blog states. That quilt is awesome but the green is not reflected....still....the gray plays really well with the autumn colors. I’m trusting her since this is my first BH quilt. We shall see...

Last edited by Teen; 11-10-2020 at 05:58 PM.
Old 11-10-2020, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
An idea just crept into my mind -- find a neutral print I absolutely love and buy 3.5 yd, to use as a constant in the mystery quilt. (Maybe I'm just missing the shopping I normally do for the mystery, LOL.)
Go for it...Shop away!! I deliberated in using a constant neutral but I have a bunch of large scraps I’m going to try to use up. I’m using just one gold but the rest is scrappy...
Old 11-10-2020, 06:47 PM

I just looked and didn't find anything that wowed me. Unfortunately, it takes so long to browse on line!

I could use black this time as the neutral. I rarely use black in quilts, yet I have quite a few black FQ on hand. But that would make for a very dark quilt (and I'd have to eliminate my darker grays.)
Old 11-11-2020, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
I just looked and didn't find anything that wowed me. Unfortunately, it takes so long to browse on line!

I could use black this time as the neutral. I rarely use black in quilts, yet I have quite a few black FQ on hand. But that would make for a very dark quilt (and I'd have to eliminate my darker grays.)
Colors really pop with black as a background, though.
Attached Thumbnails heart-vt-sampler.jpg  
Old 11-11-2020, 05:12 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Teen View Post
Hey, Susie....I use a lot of gray in my quilts, which is why this quilt appealed to me. BH used the scraps from this Mystery on her new pattern, Appalachian Autumn, as her blog states. That quilt is awesome but the green is not reflected....still....the gray plays really well with the autumn colors. I’m trusting her since this is my first BH quilt. We shall see...
Thanks Teen! I'll check it out. I just know your quilt is going to be fabulous because they always are!
Old 11-11-2020, 07:10 AM

I'm having a hard time including gray. Is anyone else? I just can't picture it with the other ones.
After reading through last year's thread, I am planning to do the Grassy Creek Mystery this year. But I also have a problem with grays: my stash cupboard is bare. In addition, I'm not really feeling the fall colors, maybe because I just worked on 2 quilts with gold and barn red.

My stash is mostly 'Thirties fabrics, so I'm using that as a jumping off point and plan to use the following colors:
Red=Blue-Green
Orange=Green
Gold=Butter Yellow
Parakeet=Cardinal
Gray=Blue-Purple
Light=Light Yellow

Photos in both color and black and white are attached.
I have already visited my local quilt shop to add to my palette but probably still need more options to keep it scrappy. I am thinking of just using a single fabric for my lights, but I have 3 that are similar if I change my mind.

Can't wait to get started. -- Suz
Attached Thumbnails grassycreekfabriccolor.jpg   grassycreekfabricb-w.jpg  
Old 11-11-2020, 08:06 AM

Welcome, SuzSLO! Your colors look beautiful!
Old 11-11-2020, 08:13 AM
Power Poster

I agree, your fabrics are great! Glad you're joining in, Suz!
Old 11-11-2020, 08:43 AM

I'm having a hard time including gray. Is anyone else? I just can't picture it with the other ones.
I'm just lurking here, no time to join in this year. But I agree with you about the grays. If I was going to make this mystery, I would change the grays to light blues, as in a fall sky. It makes more sense to me and I love blues!
Old 11-11-2020, 09:40 AM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!

Oh I just hope we don't have to do sets again. I just couldn't get into them. Has anyone heard.