Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek >

Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek

Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek

Old 11-02-2020, 04:37 AM

Thanks for the suggestions about color. I've been looking at pictures of past BH mysteries and really like the ones for "Frolic." I am leaning to kelly green, purple, blue, and an accent color (pink? aqua?) to substitute for orange. I don't think I'll wait to see how it goes before starting because some of the fun of this is its intensity and the anticipation of the next week's clue. I will enjoy seeing how everyone on this thread is doing as we go.
Old 11-02-2020, 04:52 AM
Power Poster

Hmmm...... I said Frolic was going to be my one and only. But I'm having second thoughts. The reason I didn't end up liking it was mostly the colors. I don't like this year's colors either so I may just do my own. I find the mystery part really fun.
So I think I'm in!
Old 11-02-2020, 06:04 AM

Hello everyone, |I’m in!!!! Yea?!!!!! I always look forward to doing her mysteries. And sewing with everyone.

I like most of the colors, so I decided to buy new fabrics. I know I don’t have enough red, orange, gray, or gold fabrics, since I used most of these fabrics in my current QAL’s off the internet. , I decided to switch out gray (which based on paint chips sample is a dark color), for a very dark brown. Instead of white I will use a medium light beige. An hour or so afterwards I found another color way (I have in my stash), I liked just as well. I’ll post pics when I get the fabric in the mail. Or I may just look for more fabric in my stash. Undecided which one I will use.????

Until then, I need to work on the top from last year, and a few other projects.
Old 11-02-2020, 10:42 AM

peaceandjoy, your quilts are beautiful!

It's great to see so many joining in! SusieQOH, I'm glad you're thinking of doing the mystery again this year even though you weren't happy with the outcome last year!

I'm really intrigued by the large amount of gray. I think I have pretty close to the 5 yd. required, although my biggest piece is not a true gray, but a piece of Japanese taupe that is more taupe, though it has gray leaves, so it may not work. I remembered that I have two more half yards of gray earmarked for another quilt, which I could pilfer if need be. I also have a bag of leftover gray strings from a project a few years ago, but I was trying to stick to blue-er grays that time, so not sure how useful they will be.
Old 11-02-2020, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
That reminds me! I don't know if this is new because of the covid, but Sherwin Williams will send you the chips for free!

https://colorchips.sherwin-williams....RBMuL5q8L_FeCM

Thanks for that info - I just ordered my paint chips. Glad to know I don't have to make a trip to Lowe's.
Old 11-02-2020, 11:34 AM

I'm in!! This will be my first BH mystery quilt although not my first BH quilt. I've talked my walking buddy into joining me on this adventure. We are having fun looking at colors. She is going to stick to BH's suggested colors as this is her first quilt and she's not sure about how to choose colors. I've chosen colors of cranberry, red-orange, turquoise, deep gold, cream, and egg plant purple for the grey. Got my ideas for the colors off a shirt with a Southwestern flare so not quite fall colors but I like them and they seem to mesh well.
Old 11-02-2020, 02:57 PM

I like the colors this year, except the grey. I've little grey in my stash but I have a lot of browns. So I think I'll go that route instead.
Old 11-02-2020, 03:00 PM

Went to Lowes today to pick up color samples and ran into another quilter doing the same. We helped each other find the colors and had a nice little visit. (Masks on). So fun already. I liked Bonnie's suggestion to maybe buy a little something while there and although I feel I am pretty well covered in supporting Lowes since we have bought several major appliances there in the last few years, I did happen to find a couple things I needed. Good trip!
Old 11-04-2020, 06:07 PM

Default This will be my 3rd Mystery Quilt

A friend suggested Bonnie's Mystery quilt 2 years ago and I have learned so much from making my quilts. Bonnie is so good at showing you how to sew each clue step by step. This year I'm joining in because it will keep me busy safely at home, I miss my knitting group and other activities I haven't been able to participate in this year and probably the same for next year. So this year I'm especially happy to be involved in Bonnie's Mystery 💓
Old 11-04-2020, 06:42 PM

I haven't missed a MQ in 7 the last 7 years but think I'm going to give it a pass this year. It takes every bit of my quilting time trying to keep up during a really busy time of year, plus I have a couple of grandchildren quilts I need to focus on. I'll be watching you all and cheering you on (and of course saving the clues so I can make it later if I love the pattern!). Enjoy!