Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 34 of 37 FirstFirst ... 24 33 34 35 ... LastLast

Thread: Bonnie Hunter's 2018-19 Mystery Quilt "Good Fortune"

battleaxe - I think I like your version better! It seems way less "messy" to me.

I knew from the start that I'd probably not really like my quilt when it was finished, simply because I'm not a fan of quilts with green in them. But I didn't make it planning on keeping it for myself - at some point someone will fall in love with it and it will go to it's new home.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Great job Kalama. Love the double sided look. I may have to give that a try also. It sure would get rid of a few of the UFO tops I have lying around. I have my field done but am waiting till Friday to work on those 4 borders. I will have the house to myself, no distractions.

Blog Entries
    Kalama, my goodness, double sided, that requires another nightmare.

Macybaby, I want to know how you do things. My blocks look fuzzy, nothing really lines up. Yours are pristine. It's got to be that pressing, do you think? I'd love to have a video of you working. I know....from a galloping horse, but up close they are not right. I don't really object to the Chinese square puzzle pattern, doesn't look so busy.

Battle Axe, my finished BH mystery quilts aren't pristine either. They are so busy that once quilted it is not as noticeable. I think if I was doing one of hers to enter into a show then I would not do it as a mystery - I would piece like I normally do.

I don't know if mine is the pressing. It maybe the production line type sewing. I swear I check my measurements but once I get back to using the units later in putting the quilt together I find many are slightly off etc. My usual way of putting blocks together is to work a couple blocks at a time.

Chevrons! I really dislike them. I have tried many ways of making them and this year used Deb Tucker's corner pop ruler. That worked well but I still hate them. I am thinking next year I just might replace them with 2 HST
    Peggy

"Tension is who you think you should be. Relaxation is who you are."
    -Chinese proverb
    http://peggybsquilting.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    Saw another way of putting the final border together. It was little bridges, now I cannot find that. Can someone help?

Marcia

Kalama, your Not Ringo was awesome... and the shirt side, even more so! It looks like a shirts Round Robin. Both sides beautiful.

Battle Ax, you did a great job with your backwards chevrons! There's always a new design to be made...

Kass, I don't use EQ, either. Probably because I'd rather spend the money on other things.... But I agree with you and Givio... it's no different than showing a good photo. Both are schematics without numbers. The current MQ is very simple and the star block can be found in many block books. The other is just 4 patches and stringed rectangles. So what's the big secret to protect?

All the commercial designers use EQ.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries
    Kalama you are so creative! I enjoyed your "Not Ringo" quilts and your 9 patch creation is spectacular!
    Very nice Battle Axe, I like your version very much!
    Leslie, I am loving those purple units!
    Kathy, your quilt is coming along beautifully!

It is such a thrill to see everyone's progress and the talent of those who think outside the box. Awesome!!
    Helen T.

Leslie, love those purple strings. Can't wait to see your GF all together.

BattleAxe, I love what you did with your wrong way chevrons.

Kalama, great job on your double sided Not on Ringo Lake ...... love that name.
    We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves. Buddha

Leslie, I think your beautiful purples are going to work out great. Can't wait to see it.

BatteAxe, you did wonders with those wrong way chevrons!

I now have both of my red units done, about a third of my first quarter star units sewn, must now finish pinning the rest and pin the bright version. Inching along. I found six milder oranges in my oranges, and will try making matched set clue 4 blocks with those, and if I don't care for that, there's one mild orange I have sufficient yardage of to just use that one alone.
    Lisa

It is so good to see the progress made with all the different colors. I am really grateful that each year Bonnie does this mystery and have no problem following the requests she has.
    Sandra

Quote Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
    Attachment 606491Here she is, mistakes galore, cause for grinding teeth, etc. Points are all catywhompus and the chevrons, will I've spoken of that before. What I did manage to do correctly?? is to hide the sage green that I used in both the chevrons and the green border. I had quite a few left over. I still have that last border to do. But I wanted to see what I was getting.
    Oh my gosh, I love that word, "Catywhompus", totally fits in quilting. Going to remember that one, lol.

Blog Entries
    I'm down to the last border. I borrowed a border treatment from a woman named Cole on Facebook. It uses the same blocks, but just put together differently. Somehow....I think when I took the paper off the short neutral border, I stretched it. Nevertheless, I'm having to easeeeee this last one in big time. I should have stitched around that border to hold it, but hindsight is better. Did anyone else have this problem? Is it ok to put a dart in that scrappy border?

Rippety do dah is the name for these borders. I set out to make them today and only got 1 1/2 done. It's amazingly easy to flip those triangles. Tomorrow I will try again.

Well I somehow tossed out the leftover bits from Clue 3 the 200 squares that are green and white. Now I dont know what I am going to replace them with. So will have to think on this to see what I will do. I really dont want to have to redo them. Might just put in strips of some sort. Has anyone else done this? Looking for suggestions.
    Sandra

Blog Entries
    I'm down to the last border. I borrowed a border treatment from a woman named Cole on Facebook. It uses the same blocks, but just put together differently. Somehow....I think when I took the paper off the short neutral border, I stretched it. Nevertheless, I'm having to easeeeee this last one in big time. I should have stitched around that border to hold it, but hindsight is better. Did anyone else have this problem? Is it ok to put a dart in that scrappy border?
    I am to the point of the shorter neutral border and am so glad you suggested stitching around it to hold it. I was thinking that they would be coming apart when working with them. Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cindyb View Post
    I am to the point of the shorter neutral border and am so glad you suggested stitching around it to hold it. I was thinking that they would be coming apart when working with them. Thanks!
    PS Since this is a scrappy strip, rather than put in a dart because it's too long, why not just cut it off? Or did I misunderstand your question?

Marcia, absolutely take some tucks if necessary - no one will see it unless you try to do 3 inches in 1 tuck LOL.
    QuiltingVagabond aka Kathy

Last night I cut my constant clue 4 blocks for my bright version; I used my most toned-down orange. Those blocks should be pretty quick sewing today. My first quarter star units are all pinned and about half of the second bunch. I did my bright version clue 5s scrappy, so I wouldn't be able to use those for a border even if I decided I wanted to; it would look weird with the constant orange blocks.
    Lisa

Blog Entries
    Well, it did come apart in places. One side looks like it was ruffled in a ruffler machine. But it's done. It's repaired and I will take it down off the design wall and........well I'd better not say. Perhaps if I put it in the pile to be quilted it will grow on me.Name:  20190112_095938_resized.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  438.3 KBDoesn't really lay flat. 74 x 74.

Looks good Battle Axe. I thought this one would wave. I'm sure mine will too. Any time I have borders, the wave gets wavier with each addition. All was well till the green triangles. So, "Long may She wave" is my motto. Afterall, my quilts are seldom folded nice and proper at the foot of the bed. They are crumpled and messy anywan. I like your different blue/green centers and outside border. Looks good.

Blog Entries
    Toverly, you are so right. Every time I touched that stubby neutral border it wanted to take off like a jet airplane. Sooooo many mistakes, the chevrons the wrong direction, the inclusion of sage into a green recipe, unfamiliarly with sewing on telephone book pages, fuzzy looking blocks due to bad pressing, big mess still on the floor, wrong number of final border blocks, won't lay flat with ruffle edge.

Blog Entries
    Toverly, you are so right. Every time I touched that stubby neutral border it wanted to take off like a jet airplane. Sooooo many mistakes, the chevrons the wrong direction, the inclusion of sage into a green recipe, unfamiliarly with sewing on telephone book pages, fuzzy looking blocks due to bad pressing, big mess still on the floor, wrong number of final border blocks, won't lay flat with ruffle edge.
    OMG!!!!! I think I'm loving your's more than Bonnie's.

I made an executive decision this morning to take the orange/yellow strings off and switch to another color, I have lots of string strips done in other colors so it won't be any big time commitment. I love those little red and white blocks, want them to show up more. SO many gorgeous variations on Bonnie's facebook group, I would never make a decision if I ever waited for the mystery to be over before I started

Battle Axe... I love how you have done your outside border! I wish I had seen that before I started putting mine on.
    Last edited by JENNR8R; 01-12-2019 at 10:50 AM.

Battle Axe, love your completed top .......... waves and all
    We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves. Buddha

Page 34 of 37 FirstFirst ... 24 33 34 35 ... LastLast