Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter's 2018-19 Mystery Quilt "Good Fortune" >

Bonnie Hunter's 2018-19 Mystery Quilt "Good Fortune"

Bonnie Hunter's 2018-19 Mystery Quilt "Good Fortune"

Old 11-30-2018, 07:29 AM

Thanks for the link, AmyBible!

That was an interesting method with the Simple Folded Corners ruler; seemed a little complicated. I will use the paper method for the HSTs; it will give me a welcome break from the motions of rotary cutting.

http://www.quiltingandwhatnot.ca/Hal...-Triangle.html
Old 11-30-2018, 08:33 AM

So I grabbed my blue and some off white and made two sets. One cutting a quarter inch bigger than requested. One cutting as requested. I trimmed a lot of the Biggies but I got ten good ones and out of the properly cut ones, I have found one that passed.

Somehow I think I'm doing something really wrong.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:49 AM

Putzing along in Kalama. I love all aspects of quilting! Have a realtor coming this morning to do a walk through. Believe it or not my quilt room is the best looking room in the house 👀
Attached Thumbnails clue-2.jpg   clue-2-b.jpg  
Old 11-30-2018, 09:01 AM

BattleAxe, I think you are focusing too much on the seams and now what is left. If you really want to keep teh seam exactly how you have it, then try cutting your pieces just hair larger.

I think a lot of people sew just a tad bigger seam than they should, so to compensate you need to cut a bit larger. That is why Bonnie suggests getting the line up on the fabric.

one thing I've noticed, if I am using my stripology ruler, I do have to make sure my seams are extra scant. That cuts exactly so there is no "getting the line up on the fabric". I think if a person is using die cutters, tehy will deal with the same thing and then may need to pay more attention to getting an even scanter seam than what they think.

Lots of people have said, cut five blocks, sew them together and measure the results. If they are bigger or smaller than you need, then you need to adjust your seam. I have no idea what mine measures out to, and I normally sew a few peices together and check, and then adjust to maybe making a slightly smaller or larger seam. I don't worry at all about getting all my seams exact, I worry about getting all my pieces exact.

I also find having the grid on my sewing surface helps a lot, I can make sure to keep things square and straight, and it's way easier to tell if I misscut and which is correct - like when you are sewing two strips together and you realize they are not cut the exact same width.

I've found that I don't have a good feel for finger pressing. I seem to always get a bit of a stretch when I do that. Once in a while I'll want to finger press instead of getting up to my iron, and I find I don't get a full turn of the fabric. Make matchin seams harder, but it also means I end up with slightly smaller end results, as I've got a thread or two more in the foldover part.

I also don't use steam. For two reasons, one, I find if I'm not very careful I"ll stretch. In order not to stretch I need to use my figures closer to the iron, and that leads to the second reason - I steam burn my fingers way too often!

So I don't use steam, but I sort of finger press very lightly as I"m regular pressing, and I never do the "lift up and set down". I use a light pressure (which means I sort of very lightly support the iron, no pressure down at all) on the iron and use it to help tightly fold over as I press, so I get a very crisp crease. Then I let the iron sit a bit and then move on. Often I'll have the iron on 2-3 units at a time, so each piece may be under the iron for 5-6 seconds as I"m working down the line.

Last edited by Macybaby; 11-30-2018 at 09:04 AM.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
Marcia, did you check the width of your strip sets before proceeding? That's how you would tell if you need to change your seam allowance. Keep trying until the strip sets come out exactly the right width. Once you've established your seam allowance, make about five sample 4-patches to make sure things are coming out right. It can take quite a while getting the seam allowance right, but never was time better spent.

Another wee tip for when using such small pieces - when you come to line your two layers of fabric together, don't line up at the seam edge, line them up at the opposite side instead - the outside edge if you will. That way, if there is any discrepancy in the width of the strips, this difference will be lost into the seam allowance instead of at the outside edge of your unit.
K
Old 11-30-2018, 09:20 AM

Thanks to everyone for their input. I think making the cut a quarter inch bigger is the ticket for me. I was a rug weaver for over 15 years and I have a heavy hand and fat fingers. The cuts are on the AcQ Go so the only factor is my placement of them on the blades, and maybe the bad ironing. Making the strip curve, thus not getting a square cut.

Doing 5 and then measuring is a good idea as doing one, may not be a big enough sample.

Marcia
Old 11-30-2018, 09:44 AM

I am brand new to the Bonnie Hunter mystery process. I have watched for years and this year, though not retired yet, I am going to try this but a smaller of half version.

Last Friday I completed all 120 red 4-patch and ready for the next clue today. I have starched all my fabric before cutting and used Bonnie's little ruler for my needle placement to insure my seams are the scant 1/4".

This is Fun! Enjoy Ladies and Gentlemen!
Karen

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-30-2018 at 11:35 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 11-30-2018, 12:38 PM

Well... clue 2 is on the table... I use the new leaf designs HST rulers with strip sets.... I get about 20 HST per strip set, so I have a bunch piled up and ready to cut. Cutting and pressing are what I'll be doing tonight while my stepdaughter finishes her quilt top. We are going to long arm quilt tomorrow at my brother's, so she better get it done... wish us both luck and me a lot of patience...
Old 11-30-2018, 12:45 PM
Power Poster

[ATTACH=CONFIG]604633[/ATTACH]

Clue 2 done. Lots of baking to do this week so that goodies can be mailed out to family.
Loving all the pictures that are posted, beautiful progress.

Best Wishes Kalama getting the house prepped for the realtor's viewing.
Attached Thumbnails clue-2-good-fortune.jpg  
Old 11-30-2018, 02:43 PM

I may have a head start on Clue 2 - I just finished another of Bonnie's quilts and had blue&white HSTs left over! Same size I think, didn't get a chance to dig them out yet.