Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 10 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Box of Strings Quilt Along!

Box of Strings Quilt Along!

We have a very talented QB member, Angelina NR who generously shared a tutorial for a really awesome quilt called Box of Strings. Here is a link to her tutorial including a picture of her quilt. Really awesome!!! Kudos, Angelina!!

Several QB members were so excited we decided we want to make our own version of Box of Strings quilt.

https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutori...s-t295413.html

This will be a Quilt Along, much like the ones for Bonnie Hunter's mystery and other similar projects. The other really cool thing about this is we don't have to mail anything to anyone and there are no deadlines!!!

We will post pictures and encourage one another as we make our blocks. This is going to be really fun! Jump in! This is going to be a blast!
    Jane

Thanks I love that quilt
    Have a nice day and a safe one too!

Super Member frustratedquilter40's Avatar
    Sounds like fun
    ​Christine

I would love to join this sounds like something that I can fi ti. With other projects. Looking forward to seeing everyone's blocks

Judy in Phx, AZ

Blog Entries
    Now that I have ( finally) finished sorting scraps and getting my sewing room as organized as is possible at this point I am ready to start another scrap quilt. The Sticks and Stones quilt turned out great so I’m motivated to try another- this one truly appeals to my style. So, I am all for participating in a new sew along.
    Yea!
    Thanks for coming up with the idea.and boy, I Love the quilt!
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Yeah! I was certainly inspired by AngelinaNR's quilt and I know others were as well. I hope others find this thread and jump in.

Do you think you'll go with black triangles or use another color? If so, what other color are you thinking of using?
    Jane

Power Poster
    I have drawn out the pattern on graph paper, cut foundation papers and washed my black but I have to finish quilting and binding a wallhanging before I can start. I thought about using a different triangle colour but black seems the best for contrast with my scraps.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Jane for organizing!! This should be fun!! I'm definitely inspired by Angelia's great design!! I will try to get all of my scraps together so I can get started!!
    Deb

Jane, what a great idea offering the members to do a sew along with the fantastic pattern that Angelina so generously shared with us!

I'm not home now, but would love to join in on this when I get back to town. I'm wanting to make some baby quilts.....so what do you guys think would be a good color for the triangle? In one case, I know it's a girl.....in the other case, I don't know. Any suggestions? Thanks for organizing this jclinganrey ....will be fun and Angelina NR, thanks for the tutorial!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    I'm not home now, but would love to join in on this when I get back to town. I'm wanting to make some baby quilts.....so what do you guys think would be a good color for the triangle? In one case, I know it's a girl.....in the other case, I don't know. Any suggestions? Thanks for organizing this jclinganrey ....will be fun and Angelina NR, thanks for the tutorial!
    Dark purple would look good. Red would be bright.

Blog Entries
    You could any color as long it is on the darker color value so that you can keep the dimensional rectangle effect - dark blue, dark green, dark burgandy, dark red or even dark gray if you want to give it a modern twist
    Deb

I'm enjoying reading about the color variations that one could use, the options for this is endless. I just cut 94 black triangles, which is only about half of what we need for the size of the quilt Angelina made. Taking a break then will stat pulling out scraps that will need to be ironed.

Jane, thank you for organizing this quilt-along, and Angelia, thanks for sharing that tutorial! I have strings, and a large amount of midnight blue that I bought for a quilt that didn't pan out. This would be a great use for them.
    Lisa

Blog Entries
    ok, signing up for this page comments. That is beautiful! and Lord knows I have lots of strings.
    Life is short, live it while you still can. QuilterMomma

Lots of good ideas about other possible colors. I might go with a very dark blue. I think I might try one block with dark blue and one with black & see which one I like better although my dark blue is 'right next door' to black so I'm anxious to get your opinions.
    Jane

I also am thinking of setting my rows so that the triangles run horizontally instead of vertically. Just some thoughts swirling around in my brain - - -
    Jane

I may join in, I have a lot of strings! Whenever I've had something longer than 3.5" but narrower than 1.5" it gets tossed into a gallon jar. I think I've started on my third one, and they are packed tight.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Quote Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
    I may join in, I have a lot of strings! Whenever I've had something longer than 3.5" but narrower than 1.5" it gets tossed into a gallon jar. I think I've started on my third one, and they are packed tight.
    I was thinking of you when this thread was started and wondering if you were going to jump in on the fun!

Blog Entries
    Wow! I'm very flattered that you are doing this. Thank you for the interest.
    Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com/

Guess this could be called a "string along". LOL

Quote Originally Posted by jclinganrey View Post
    I also am thinking of setting my rows so that the triangles run horizontally instead of vertically. Just some thoughts swirling around in my brain - - -
    Jane I think that is a terrific idea.
    I'm committed to a watermelon quilt top but I bet I could squeeze in some of these blocks so I don't get so bored with the other, as I have lots and lots of strips and strings already cut. I also have lots of black.
    Great idea!!!! Thanks for sharing your ideas all.
    Jennifer: Organized in my dreams.
    🌷RIP dear Tigger....you are missed!
    Buddybear's Mom ...Yorkie Fur Baby

Here is my starting point. Now to iron and sort.

My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

I’m going to follow but not start right away. I haven’t been quilting long so don’t have a lot of scraps plus I’m working on a project that’s almost possessed me. I’m very focused on this quilt & just want to work on it right now.

Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    I’m going to join in, but not until I get back to the sewing room with all the strips precut into bins. LOL, could probably make 3 quilts with no problem at all. It really seems like a fun project to fit in around finishing UFO’s. Although, I don’t know, may need to buy a dark for the triangles. Will see when we get back to the stash.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it difficult to plan the day.

Kris

Page 1 of 10 1 2 ... LastLast