Chuck Nohara Quilt Along

Old 03-16-2022, 12:02 PM

Default Chuck Nohara Quilt Along

A few of us will be starting to work on Chuck Nohara’s book 2001 New Patchwork Patterns. She was a Japanese lady. My book has both Japanese and English. The book is out of print. My copy says 1998, so it’s an older book. I have just fallen in love with all her patterns. I regularly check on the used book sites. The only way I connected with this one was the ISBN number. It’s 4-529-03114-4. If you search for this book add the name of the book and the ISBN. The sites that I use are www.Abebooks.com , www.thriftbooks.com , www.betterworldbooks.com , www.bookfinder.com , and lastly www.alibris.com. If you have this book count yourself lucky. The out of print books available are crazy pricey.
The blocks don’t come with instructions and are 3”. I find it’s easiest to take a picture of the block with my cellphone, save it, edit it, resize it and print it out. But there are a bunch of resizing programs. A lot of the blocks I’ve seen on the internet are 6”. I don’t see well so I’m making mine 9”. 9 1/2” unfinished. I would recommend choosing a block size that you want. I think for the pieced blocks I will resize the block and cut it out using the pieces for templates. Also your color preference and fabric choices. Many of the blocks look to have retro style. Pinterest has a huge collection of the Chuck Nohara blocks. I see whole pages pinned. Also the magazine Quiltmania has 20 free blocks, they are 9 1/2” and are called “The Tuesday Flowers”.
I’ve chosen 5 blocks to start with. When done with my quilt I plan on about a queen size quilt. I’m not fond of the retro style. I use almost all batiks, they have the clean crisp colors that I want.
please join us. Do as many blocks as you want and yes we want to see pictures.
Old 03-18-2022, 09:07 AM

So glad to finally have a quilt along for the Chuck Nohara blocks thanks to sewingitalltogether! Hoping we will have others join us!
Old 03-18-2022, 09:34 PM

Since books aren't available at any reasonable price (if at all), I'm going to have to pass.
Old 03-20-2022, 02:46 PM

Default Block

Ch#15 Scottie. I have a block! Far from perfect, but is a start. Come on in; join us in making these delightful blocks.
Attached Thumbnails 9f84cd51-97d0-4ec6-858a-f3d391c44df4.jpeg  
Old 03-23-2022, 03:11 AM

Getting a slow start here. I’m working on one of the basket blocks. Love your Scottie.
Old 04-04-2022, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by sewingitalltogether View Post
Getting a slow start here. I’m working on one of the basket blocks. Love your Scottie.
Thanks. I think I’ve done 3 total. Pretty challenging!