Harriet's Journey BOM

Old 04-25-2021, 09:15 AM

Whew, second month done! I am really learning how to cut accurate and sew accurate. Small blocks don't leave much room for error. But it is fun!
Attached Thumbnails img_20210425_120805.jpg  
Old 04-25-2021, 11:09 AM

toverly, those are wonderful! It's such a treat to see these blocks in the various types of fabrics.
Old 04-25-2021, 12:15 PM

Toverly...blocks are beautiful! I learned so much on my Sylvia sampler when working with this block size. I agree that accuracy with cutting and seam allowance are key. Looks like you got that down. Lovely work!
Old 04-25-2021, 04:03 PM

I am looking at the B-9 oak leaf block, and I don't see how that can possibly be needle-turned, as there is so little space between the leaves for seam allowances. What do you applique-ers say?

I've never done fusible applique. Is it too stiff to put a needle through by hand?
Old 04-25-2021, 05:04 PM

joe's mom, I do what I call cheater applique. I trace the pattern onto the glue side of fusible interfacing, my favorite is Pellon 911FF. Then I sew around the fabric and interfacing, cut the interfacing and turn it. Then I iron the glue side of the fusible to the back side of the fabric and use a glue stick to glue it down to the back piece. I then applique it. It sure helps on these small pieces to have all the seams turned.
Old 04-26-2021, 10:54 AM

Thank you, toverly. I'm having a hard time picturing what you mean. I'm with you on 'trace the pattern onto the glue side of the interfacing,' but not understanding 'sew around the fabric and interfacing,' etc. (I can be really dense sometimes.)

Old 04-26-2021, 01:32 PM

It is sometimes hard to visualize even weirder to explain. The interfacing is on top with the glue up. The fabric is placed with the right side up and the wrong side down. Sew along the pencil line, this creates the applique shape. Trim around the applique piece. Cut a slit in the interfacing and turn the applique.When turned the glue is against the wrong side of the fabric. Iron the applique flat, being careful to turn the edge under so the interfacing doesn't show. I then use a glue stick to stick the applique to the back piece. I don't remember whose method this is, I'm sure it was on youtube somewhere.

When I started this method, I used the glue on the interfacing to press the applique on the back. It didn't work as well for me, the applique was puffier and hard to place correctly.
Old 04-26-2021, 02:34 PM

Thanks, toverly! I got it this time.
Old 04-26-2021, 05:58 PM

Anyone willing to do a photo tutorial for the applique technique? I was raised to do hand sewing but so far have avoided applique in my quilts. Maybe a good online tutorial would do. Post a link please.
Old 04-26-2021, 07:39 PM

WMUTeach, I'm a big fan of the Piece O' Cake ladies. I learned from their book, "The New Applique Sampler." They teach the needle turn technique. There is also a way to do applique with freezer paper, and another with basting but I've not looked into those because I enjoy needle turn. Here's the link from googling 'piece o' cake applique youtube'.

https://www.google.com/search?client...plique+youtube