Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
  • Merry Mayhem New Year Day Mystery >
  • Merry Mayhem New Year Day Mystery

• Merry Mayhem New Year Day Mystery

Old 12-22-2020, 05:53 PM

Teen, your choices are great! I think it will look dramatic.
    Old 12-23-2020, 08:31 AM

Default Question about 2?

Hi all, I've been lurking but will be making one of these with patriotic colors for a quilt of valor to donate. Having seen the focus fabrics, particularly of Sewbiz (absolutely love that orange, it is so pretty) and Blueridgebeverly (love the flower), though, I am thinking about making 2. I like Sewbiz's suggestion of waiting to see before piecing together, maybe do that with the QOV and sew one for myself? For those who have made them in the past, do you think it is possible to make a second one in a day? I have the patriotic colors already, but if I decide to do 2, it will probably be easier to cut each at the same time, ie cut both A's, then both B's, etc. I also thought that the QOV may need a second border.
    Old 12-23-2020, 09:00 AM

I've made two of them from last year. It depends on how fast you are in piecing. Here are pictures of both quilts.
    https://www.quiltingboard.com/attachments/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/621443d1578029427-100_1101.jpg
    https://www.quiltingboard.com/attachments/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/621633d1578636705-100_1105.jpg

I'm also plaining on making two this year. I will post pictures of the second set of fabrics tonight.

Last edited by Queenbarbiej; 12-23-2020 at 09:04 AM.
    Old 12-23-2020, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Queenbarbiej
    I'm also plaining on making two this year. I will post pictures of the second set of fabrics tonight.
    Thanks for those photos QueenBarbieJ, that is very helpful (and they look great). Do you cut each A, then each B, etc? And did you piece each quilt separately, or did you piece both step by step (all As to Bs, etc.). Just wanting to be efficient and your experience as to what worked for you. I'm definitely thinking to do two now.
    Old 12-23-2020, 10:11 AM

I've done them the last three years and some steps I was pushed on and others I had lots of time, so it's hard to say.

With this one being a medallion, it "should" just be mainly straight borders, shouldn't it? So, maybe that will make it go together quicker. We will know more when we get the Christmas clue.

Watson
    Old 12-23-2020, 03:55 PM
    Power Poster

I’ve done a few of the Merry Mayhem New Year Mysteries. I’m scheduled to work on the 1st this year, so won’t be able to keep up, but I’m hoping to manage to grab the clues and make it on my day off. They are always fun, cool quilts
    Old 12-23-2020, 07:33 PM

I piece them one at a time. Here's the colors for the second quilt.
    Attached Thumbnails 100_1212.jpg  
    Old 12-23-2020, 07:46 PM

LeahQuilts, That's a darling selection! Looks like it would be so appreciated by a child. :-) I'm supposing the 'directional fabric to not be used' is just to avoid the print being sideways or upside down or whatever. If you don't mind that sort of thing, just go with a directional fabric. A quilt can still be cute even if all the motifs are not right-side-up.

Teen, Your cuts all look great!

Joe's mom, Yeah, you return to the page, and the new button for the next clue will be added there-- https://merrymayhem.com/onedaymyster...eid=117fc7f440

IrishRose2, I'm cutting my borders WOF too-- just need to make sure you have the length that is called for, so if there are seams to get to that length, that's all the difference between the WOF cuts and the LOF cuts. Anyway, I don't have the LOF, so I can't cut that way. :-p I'm going to be piecing both the length and the width of the cut! :-)

QueenBarbie, oh, wow, that's really nice! I have some of that yellow fabric. So, you plan to add a second border around MM's pattern? I plan to add another border too, as I want a rectangle twin size quilt rather than the basically square size of the pattern.
    Old 12-23-2020, 08:26 PM

I have more than enough of my fabric A. I just like to work with WOF borders. I am going to revisit my fabrics before I cut. MY C seems a little bland for me.

queenbarbiej, I love the intensity of your fabrics. It will be a lovely quilt.
    Old 12-24-2020, 04:25 AM

Since I have a small stash (nothing more than a yard), I had to make a trip to my LQS yesterday. I will try to post a photo of my A-D fabrics.

Attached Thumbnails f919dd46-31ad-4ed9-8176-2e523b227534.jpeg