Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Merry Mayhem's Mystery Quilt #147 "Let's Face It" >

Merry Mayhem's Mystery Quilt #147 "Let's Face It"

Merry Mayhem's Mystery Quilt #147 "Let's Face It"

Old 12-04-2022, 07:19 PM

What a beautiful assortment of fabrics, vadalia! They go very nicely with your A and B fabrics.

I haven't sifted through the C fabrics I gathered, but I'm thinking that overall they are too bright to be compatible with the first B/E fabric I chose, which looks very subdued in comparison. My second choice, which could only be used for E because it is not a subtle print, is a farmland scene, and I'm wondering if that's too specifically thematic to go with C fabrics that aren't related to farming. In addition, of all the many greens in my stash, I could only find one possible B that was compatible with this potential E fabric, and it is barely a half yard. I'd like to cut my C's before taking a photo, so will try to do that this week.
Old 12-05-2022, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by vadalia View Post
I think I'm following that one- I could only find it on the facebook page. I believe it's under Cuts and Bolts Fabrics Mystery Quilt or something to that effect, you'll have to ask to join. Let me know if you can't find it and I'll scrounge up a link.
All the adds on Facebook were frustrating so I closed the account. Is it available some other way?
Old 12-05-2022, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by vadalia View Post
I finally bit the bullet and cut up my Fabric Cs. I'm super nervous since I lean more on the "controlled scrappy" side at best, but I decided to just cut up all the unused fat quarters I've had laying around for years. What will be, will be. I did still try to kept the number of colors limited so that I could maybe do a gradient effect if I didn't like the scrappiness any other way. I did have just enough for the queen size (was originally going to do the twin size) so for the sake of cleaning out that part of my stash, I'm going big this year:

Attachment 641693

The dark rosey colored fabric in the upper right is my Fabric B/dark, the light beige in the bottom right is my Fabric A/light. I'll probably wait until I know how much I like the quilt before I choose the borders.
Those are really pretty colors! Love the rosey colored next to the light beige with all of the others. Those look great!
Old 12-05-2022, 09:56 AM

Here's a messy photo of my uncut fabrics. The cream (with embossed butterflies) at the top left would be my A. I pulled two fabrics for my B even though she said 'not scrappy,' in caps no less, because I rarely buy more than 1/2 yd. unless I'm buying for a border or backing. But I think these would blend well enough. In the middle are the C fabrics, and the two at the bottom would be my D and E. Please advise if you think this would work. If I were to buy a yard for my B, what color would you suggest?

Unfortunately, most of my stash C directional fabrics will have the wrong orientation, as the scraps were not large enough to cut for correct placement.

Attached Thumbnails img_7718_fotor.jpg   img_7719_fotor.jpg  

Last edited by joe'smom; 12-05-2022 at 09:59 AM. Reason: addition
Old 12-05-2022, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
Here's a messy photo of my uncut fabrics. The cream (with embossed butterflies) at the top left would be my A. I pulled two fabrics for my B even though she said, 'not scrappy,' in caps no less, because I rarely buy more than 1/2 yd. unless I'm buying for a border or backing. But I think these would blend well enough. In the middle are the C fabrics, and the two at the bottom would be my D and E. Please advise if you think this would work. If I were to buy a yard for my B, what color would you suggest?
Those are great fabrics, as you stand back, there is a lot of green and quite a few reds/oranges. I love the two greens at the bottom, are the two at the bottom part of a collection? Any coordinating fabrics from a collection perhaps? I think these will work well together just like her golds.
Old 12-05-2022, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
Looked at c&b web site. No NYE mystery. Do you have a link?
I started a thread on the Main page since I think I have to get permission to start one here. At any rate, this is the link for the main mystery page - the fabric requirement and cutting instructions are in the files. You could scroll down on the main page to get them, but you have to wade through a bunch of posts. https://www.facebook.com/groups/376851042875618
Old 12-05-2022, 03:07 PM

Rebaquilts, the two fabrics are not part of a collection, but I bought them both when making Bonnie Hunter's Grassy Creek mystery (but ended up not using them). The grid fabric was part of Robin Pickens 'Solana' line, which was out at the time. The other fabric I discovered by accident while googling something else, and found the nicest shop when buying it -- 'Quilts 'n Gifts.'
Attached Thumbnails img_7720_fotor.jpg   img_7722_fotor.jpg   img_7721_fotor.jpg  
Old 12-05-2022, 08:59 PM

What a beautiful assortment of fabrics, vadalia! They go very nicely with your A and B fabrics.
Thank you, so much! Makes me feel more confident in my choices

I'm wondering if that's too specifically thematic to go with C fabrics that aren't related to farming
I feel ya. I ended up swapping out what was supposed to be the outer border to last year's mystery quilt because it just didn't fit with the other fabrics (only after I'd already cut it, of course) I don't think I'm even going to cut my borders this year until I have a better idea what the quilt is going to look like when it's more put together. Can't wait to see your Cs!
Old 12-05-2022, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Rebaquilts View Post
Those are really pretty colors! Love the rosey colored next to the light beige with all of the others. Those look great!
Thank you! I went back & forth between the rosey fabric & a midnight dark blue but I loved the rosey one too much. The only down side is I couldn't use some pink fabrics I'd originally planned on because there wasn't enough contrast. Small price to pay, I think!
Old 12-05-2022, 09:15 PM

Here's a messy photo of my uncut fabrics. The cream (with embossed butterflies) at the top left would be my A. I pulled two fabrics for my B even though she said 'not scrappy,' in caps no less, because I rarely buy more than 1/2 yd. unless I'm buying for a border or backing. But I think these would blend well enough. In the middle are the C fabrics, and the two at the bottom would be my D and E. Please advise if you think this would work. If I were to buy a yard for my B, what color would you suggest?

Unfortunately, most of my stash C directional fabrics will have the wrong orientation, as the scraps were not large enough to cut for correct placement.
Those are some super cute designs! I go crazy for ladybugs

So just to make sure I have it correct- the two oranges at the top are your combined Fabric B/"dark" and the two greens at the bottom are your D/light border and E/dark border, correct? The only thing I'd keep an eye on is how much contrast you can get with the B/dark/ orange fabrics and some of your orange and red Fabric C pieces. I had to drop a couple pink fabrics from my Fabric C because they didn't stand out enough against my rosey colored Fabric B, so I've been there too.

As for what color B you might want to buy instead, good question. You have a little bit of blue here and there with some of your other fabric Cs (but it's not an all-over color in those fabrics like the orange & red is in their's) so blue might be a good option to tie things together without being too jarring. Or you could go extreme and up the contrast with a dark purple, since that makes up a triadic color scheme with the orange & green also prominent in your fabrics Good luck!