Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 20 of 31 FirstFirst ... 10 19 20 21 30 ... LastLast

Thread: Orphaned Blocks QAYG Challenge

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
    I had already started on a QAYG using orphaned/scrappy blocks, trying to use them up. Some are attempts at learning my embroidery machine, some are my learning to paper piece, etc.

Here they are. I have 30- 14" blocks, so I plan on using a 5x6 layout.

Here are some pictures. They aren't all that compelling and nearly as interesting as you all's but hopefully when I'm done, it will be a respectable scrappy quilt--

Just flyin I think your scrappy squares are lovely... and the quilt will be warm and cozy to wrap up in when its finished.
    Have an awesome day!

Sounds interesting, think I will give it a try. It would be great to finish a quilt at the same time. BTW, I am from your neck of the woods, The Harbor,
    I know everything I WANT to know!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by katsewnsew View Post
    Sounds interesting, think I will give it a try. It would be great to finish a quilt at the same time. BTW, I am from your neck of the woods, The Harbor,
    Welcome to the thread Katsewnsew. I live here in Portage now but Mesa, Arizona is my neck of the woods. Actually lived both in Mesa and Gilbert.
    Have an awesome day!

I finally have pictures to show. Name:  dana's quilt.JPG
Views: 204
Size:  277.4 KBName:  photo-39.JPG
Views: 184
Size:  161.8 KBName:  photo-38.JPG
Views: 213
Size:  247.0 KB

The following are what I'm working on right now. I saw the straight line quilting on a link on the board and it is working perfectly for this. I've pieced the batting and since it's for a little girl, I knew that it would keep it stable for years to come.

Name:  school house 1 quilting.JPG
Views: 197
Size:  180.7 KBName:  school house 1.JPG
Views: 204
Size:  221.8 KB

Blog Entries
    Great quilts, GGal. The house block is an interesting take--could use lots of scraps in this block--what's the overall size of the block?
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    I donate quilts to the AAQI.

Thanks, OkSewGlad. The house blocks finish at 10 inches. I used 10x18 inch pieces of fabric and cut out 6 at a time. This is a Marti Michell pattern using her templates. It was a class assignment and one I resisted because I hadn't seen a houses quilt that I really liked but by the time I sewed the first 6 together, I was hooked. I had used the most horrible fabric that I had and the pattern transformed them into something I really liked. She suggests how to spread the colors out so the houses are pretty well balanced with the different prints. This is my second house quilt and I still used some pretty horrible prints in the darker houses but it all balances out.

I got my blocks all quilted and cropped to 9". It was so much fun quilting these separate little squares! I mainly STID, but did a design in the middle of the larger bigger squares. I like to take a photo and study it a little while to see if they look okay side by side. Got my sashing pieces cut and the 1 3/4" strips pressed in half. Can't wait to try the next step.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "You have enough quilts made when your soul is filled, your creativity satisfied and your fingers just won't work anymore."

Great blocks, Jeanie! I agree it's fun to quilt the little squares.

Here is one row (front and back) of my QAYG Baby Quilt. I'm so excited about how easy this was, I just hope that they line up okay when I do the rows. I tried pinning the pieces, as Jenniky did, but I found it much easier to just put tiny dots of school glue along the edges and press it. This made it much easier to sew. I used my 1/4" foot for the edges, then changed to my SITD foot for machine sewing the final seam. I do not do hand stitching if I don't have to.

"You have enough quilts made when your soul is filled, your creativity satisfied and your fingers just won't work anymore."

Blog Entries
    Hey you both might like to try this stitch Anael has done instead of SID. I use it all the time, but a little closer together on my smaller quilts. This is a serpentine stitch, also called 3 point zigzag set at a width and length of 2 on my Bernina.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...d-t198493.html
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    I donate quilts to the AAQI.

Boston - Wow your stitches are lovely. If yaou want ta see how the wool quilts ya could buy a small piece & try a few stitches.
    GG - I love both o' your quilts. Just stunnin'!
    OK - Thanks for postin' Anael's thread, her jelly roll race quilt is lovely!

I just got back from Brady & had a busy weekend. The lake is so low that Islands are appearing ta pop up everywhere!
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

Blog Entries
    Gardner, I love your projects! What pretties!

Jeanie, your blocks are turning out sooo pretty!

Boston, I agree your stitches are great! Obviously the batting didn't keep you from producing a great product and since I usually only machine quilt anymore, I still use and love my warm and natural...or rather my warm and white.
    Ronda

Blog Entries
    Hi everyone, I have been following your class, just waiting to get a few things done so I can be free to start these lessons.
    I used fleece for the back of my great granddaughter's quilt and it turned out great. Plus it was so easy to quilt. The only problem I can see is that it is so warm. Certainly not a summer quilt!
    Good Better Best, never let it rest till the good is better and the better best

Blog Entries
    Gardnergal - Your quilts are beautiful. Great job Your talent in quilting is very apparent in the quality of your workmanship.
    Have an awesome day!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
    Hey you both might like to try this stitch Anael has done instead of SID. I use it all the time, but a little closer together on my smaller quilts. This is a serpentine stitch, also called 3 point zigzag set at a width and length of 2 on my Bernina.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...d-t198493.html
    I also use this stitch whenever I can. I used it mostly on bags since I use fusible fleece as the batting and it works great.
    Life's More Fun with a Doxie !!
    ​Have a Great Day !
    Vicki G
    https://www.facebook.com/vickigdesigns
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VickiGDesigns

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JeanieG View Post
    Here is one row (front and back) of my QAYG Baby Quilt. I'm so excited about how easy this was, I just hope that they line up okay when I do the rows. I tried pinning the pieces, as Jenniky did, but I found it much easier to just put tiny dots of school glue along the edges and press it. This made it much easier to sew. I used my 1/4" foot for the edges, then changed to my SITD foot for machine sewing the final seam. I do not do hand stitching if I don't have to.
    JeanieG - The Baby quilt is coming along very nicely. This next QAYG quilt Im working on I'm planning on doing all machine stitching. Im thinking I will try your method JeanieG. and use the dots of glue and pressing instead of the pinning.
    Have an awesome day!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sunrise450 View Post
    Hi everyone, I have been following your class, just waiting to get a few things done so I can be free to start these lessons.
    I used fleece for the back of my great granddaughter's quilt and it turned out great. Plus it was so easy to quilt. The only problem I can see is that it is so warm. Certainly not a summer quilt!
    Hello back at you Sunrise. Sounds like your dggd's quilt is going to be very useful come the cold winter months.
    Have an awesome day!

JeanieG - Like you, I am hoping fervently that my rows line up with each other. I believe I am going to check them closely before I start pinning. If they are off a bit, I might slice off a smidgen.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Boston - Wow your stitches are lovely. If yaou want ta see how the wool quilts ya could buy a small piece & try a few stitches.

Sorry Dublb, I cannot work with wool as I am allergic. That's okay though, I love the Warm and Natural.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I finished my test of this process. I made 8 blocks pretty nondescript just to see if I could do this (fairly easily). My first 2 blocks were set wrong so I just changed the whole layout as wasn't worth ripping. So my test piece is not very pretty... I have a set of sun bonnet sue type blocks that are for a quilt for one of my DIL. I need a QAYG method to join them and was not happy with where I was headed. I believe this will work nicely so I am going to get those all squared up and ready to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post

Sorry Dublb, I cannot work with wool as I am allergic. That's okay though, I love the Warm and Natural.
    Oh yes, stay away from the wool!!!! No allergies allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by DeneK View Post
    I finished my test of this process. I made 8 blocks pretty nondescript just to see if I could do this (fairly easily). My first 2 blocks were set wrong so I just changed the whole layout as wasn't worth ripping. So my test piece is not very pretty... I have a set of sun bonnet sue type blocks that are for a quilt for one of my DIL. I need a QAYG method to join them and was not happy with where I was headed. I believe this will work nicely so I am going to get those all squared up and ready to finish.
    Your Sue's are gonna be beautiful! I like the first set o' blocks. Bind 'em & call 'em a Table Runner. Done!
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

Well, I have six of the blocks put together. They look okay from a distance, but when you get a bit closer, you can see that they could have lined up a bit better. I hope my sister will not be too critical when she sees it.

Anne, no one will notice this unless they are an avid quilter! I think they are just fine, and it is your first time trying this. I have one more row to do and I'll have mine together too! I love your Christmas prints, so cute!

Blog Entries
    Anyone have the answer on how we can tell which side of the W & N is the scrim side, and whether we put that to the backing or towards the top of our quilt???
    Sue

The quilts are all beautiful. I have a problem . I wanted to add more blocks to the center that we started in QAYG. My blocks were 9" square. So, I had smaller blocks and I have carefully measured each block to be 9" squares. I have done everything step by step as I first did. They have been quilted and the sashing has been added. Now when I try to align the sashings, the center blocks are smaller and the sashings do not match. What can I do? HELP, PLEASE!!!!!

Page 20 of 31 FirstFirst ... 10 19 20 21 30 ... LastLast