Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Orphaned Blocks QAYG Challenge

Blog Entries

Part I of Attaching Rows

Name:  1 QAYG Attaching.JPG
Views: 348
Size:  127.3 KB

Name:  2 QAYG Attaching.JPG
Views: 344
Size:  122.6 KB

Name:  3 QAYG Attaching.JPG
Views: 338
Size:  99.3 KB

Name:  4 QAYG Attaching.JPG
Views: 344
Size:  133.8 KB

Name:  5 QAYG Attaching.JPG
Views: 329
Size:  104.8 KB

Name:  6 QAYG Attaching.JPG
Views: 343
Size:  119.1 KB

Name:  7 QAYG Attaching.JPG
Size:  110.8 KB

Name:  8 QAYG Attaching.JPG
Views: 349
Size:  130.7 KB

See Part II of Attaching Rows for continuation.
    Have an awesome day!

Blog Entries

Part II of Attaching Rows

Continuation of Attaching Rows

Name:  9 QAYG Attaching.JPG
Views: 333
Size:  131.0 KB

Name:  10 QAYG Attaching.JPG
Size:  122.0 KB

Name:  11 QAYG Attaching.JPG
Size:  133.5 KB

See Part III of Attaching Rows for continuation
    Have an awesome day!

This thread comes at a perfect time! I'm anxious to follow it. Thanks!

Blog Entries

Part III of Attaching Rows

Continuation from Part II Attaching Rows

Name:  12 QAYG Attaching.JPG
Views: 337
Size:  100.7 KB

Name:  13 QAYG Attaching.JPG
Views: 340
Size:  99.4 KB

Name:  14 QAYG Attaching.JPG
Views: 336
Size:  134.0 KB

Name:  15 QAYG Attaching.JPG
Views: 330
Size:  129.6 KB

Name:  16 QAYG Attaching.JPG
Views: 335
Size:  121.7 KB

Name:  17 QAYG Attaching.JPG
Views: 323
Size:  119.8 KB
    Name:  18 QAYG Attaching.JPG
Views: 329
Size:  132.9 KB

See Part IV of Attaching Rows for continuation
    Have an awesome day!

Blog Entries

Part IV Attaching Rows

Name:  19 QAYG Attaching.JPG
Views: 326
Size:  105.5 KB

Name:  20 QAYG Attaching.JPG
Views: 327
Size:  126.8 KB

Name:  21 QAYG Attaching.JPG
Views: 326
Size:  99.7 KB

Name:  22 QAYG Attaching.JPG
Views: 330
Size:  125.2 KB

Name:  23 QAYG Attaching.JPG
Views: 332
Size:  136.7 KB

I will give ya' all a few days to digest all of the row attaching, while I am working on attaching a four inch sashing all the way around my rows. Exciting Huh
    Have an awesome day!

Blog Entries
    Nice job Jenniky! You've explained with words and pictures so well! It is very understandable. Thank you so much for your hard work!!!
    Ronda

Oh, it is coming along nicely!
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

Blog Entries
    Chay - We will all look forward to seeing the squares you select for this project. I also want to invite you to share your QAYG experiences with us and participate in the discussions. And Questions are always welcomed.

Ronda - Thanks I found an easier way of making the tutorials off line in paint and then just posting the pictures. It made it so much easier.

Dublb - Yuppers moving along.

Everyone - Im hoping to see more posting of everyone else's projects this coming week. Also would like to hear more discussion of any troubles anyone runs into.. or if you see a different way to achieve the same or better results then what I have posted. Remember the best way for all of us to learn is by sharing our experiences. I hope everyone will continue to give input and share. Positive Feedback from Lurkers is always welcome. If it's negative then tell it to QuiltE... LOL
    Have an awesome day!

I hope the sashing will be part of the tutorial too! Awesome job so far jenniky.
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

Blog Entries
    Thank you Jenniky for the latest photos and text. Hope to actually start on a few squares tomorrow.

Question: is there a way to change the color of the text when it is on a dark background? A few photos are extra hard for me. Some of my eyesight is diminishing with this thing call 'older age' . However, I am thankful for what I do have left.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    Wildyard - Part Five will be the attaching of the sashing.

SewExtremeseams - I will go back and take a look and see which Lettering is on a darker picture and see what I can do to repost those for you in a different way.
    I have to laugh at myself because some times I don't know if the picture is actually blurred or if its my eyesight. Yikes.. Ha ha
    Have an awesome day!

Blog Entries
    SewExtremes _ Thanks for letting me know about the readability of my recent picture posts. If you can give me a couple of days I will re-post the complete tutorial with words under the picturse over in the Tutorial Section and then provide a link for everyone to it. In the future I will also post the words under the pictures in my posts here. I hope that helps.
    Have an awesome day!

Reporting for Duty!!!!!!!!

Jenniky ... you have worked so hard at putting the pics and words together!! MOre than well done! You;'ll be publishing books next! You know what you're doing to me? ... making me want to get going on this! And then there are all my other things!!!!!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

You did a great job. Everything is very clear to me!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    Reporting for Duty!!!!!!!!

Jenniky ... you have worked so hard at putting the pics and words together!! MOre than well done! You;'ll be publishing books next! You know what you're doing to me? ... making me want to get going on this! And then there are all my other things!!!!!!!!

"Salutes"!!

QUILTE- No publishing books for this Chickee. How would I ever get any quilting done. I'll be here when you are ready to jump into a QAYG project. In the mean time it is good to have your input and feedback in our discussions.
    Have an awesome day!

Jenniky,
    I do this method frequently (see my avatar), and for me the biggest challenge is aligning the intersections when attaching the rows. I have to do a hand baste for 1 -2" at each intersection to keep them lined up. Your idea of pinning the quilt together a few inches away from the seam is a good one, and I think it would help prevent the weight from pulling. I will be trying that this afternoon when I attach the first 2 rows of my Snoopy quilt.

I just found your thread a few days ago and have skimmed through it. You may have mentioned this tip -- I find the quarter inch presser foot a necessity when attaching the sashing. The layers are thick and the presser foot fits so nicely into the ridge. My sashing seams improved so much once I started using it.

Thanks for posting this thread!

Dayle

Blog Entries
    Daylesewblessed - I have not tried using the quarter inch presser foot to sew on the sashing. But sounds like a really great idea. I'm going to try it and see how it works for me. I'm glad you have found our QAYG thread and I hope you will continue to share with us as we move along exploring the various Quilt As you Go Techniques and Variations.

Everyone- I know I sound like a broken record, but I will continue to encourage everyone to give their input, tips, questions, etc. into our discussions. It's a win win for everyone when we share our knowledge and experiences.
    Have an awesome day!

You are doing a fabulous job Jenniky. I'm behind in reading the posts but have skimmed them this morning. Well done everyone and thanks for all the photos and explanations Jenniky.

Blog Entries
    Jenniky, oh, I didn't mention I was talking about future photos... I'm so sorry. Um, I was planning to ask you on ones I couldn't make out from the photos you have already posted. You have done such wonderful work that I do not want to create more work for you. Thank you so much for all you are doing for all of us to learn.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

I have wanted to learn QAYG for a long time, so afraid to try it myself. I know how to sew very well, can't explain my fear of actually doing this QAYG. I won't be able to post pictures, for some reason, it doesn't work for me. Maybe I can get my daughter to do it for me? Thanks for this tutorial.

You are doing a fabulous job Jenniky. I understand it, I think. Thank you so much. I picked out the fabric for the back sashing. Now I have to pick out fabric for the front sashing. Then I will cut them and try some more. I did a rag quilt where you sewed an x across the square. That was my first and only QAYG attempt. So, I am learning alot.

Jenniky...your instructions are excellent. Thanks for all of your work and willingness to share! I finally got my computer up and running so I will post pictures. I started my QAYG before you started this thread so I'm finding problems as I go and then making things up. Thelast picture is with 2 rows attached and the third row with the back showing. When I got to joining the two rows I didn't have any fronts that available to sew together since I had sewed the joining strips from end to end. I don't know if that makes sense but to overcome that, I added a small strip using your method to join the 2 rows together. Worked perfectly but added a dimension to the front of the quilt I hadn't planned on. I'm punting!!! I did make the joining strips on the back the same width as the front sashing so it makes a statement too and gives more dimension to the back. The black fabric is flannel so it stretches and frays and isn't the ideal choice for this method. The first picture shows my little strip. The outer border is the same color and it will be the backing on the sashing too. I'm going to sew front and back sashing on at the same time and then flip them out, iron well and insert the batting and quilt it after it is attached. The middle picture is my next QAYG project. I'll use your method but won't be starting on it immediately. In the meantime, I will be following this thread and hopefully getting my ducks in a row so I don't have so many oops to work through.Name:  photo-49.JPG
Views: 261
Size:  242.9 KBName:  photo-47.JPG
Views: 268
Size:  276.8 KB Name:  photo-48.JPG
Views: 273
Size:  255.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Jenniky View Post
    "Salutes"!!

QUILTE- No publishing books for this Chickee. How would I ever get any quilting done. I'll be here when you are ready to jump into a QAYG project. In the mean time it is good to have your input and feedback in our discussions.
    ........... and to absorb or buffer any negativity!
    Hey, shouldn't be too hard to go from the tute photos and words, and publish!!
    Remember, never say never!

OMG ... I Just noticed you have the link to my acronym thread in your siggy. How long has it been there?

And OMG#2 ... you really must get using your 1/4" foot! Mine is on pretty much all the time!

Quote Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams View Post
    Jenniky, oh, I didn't mention I was talking about future photos... I'm so sorry. Um, I was planning to ask you on ones I couldn't make out from the photos you have already posted. You have done such wonderful work that I do not want to create more work for you. Thank you so much for all you are doing for all of us to learn.
    ITA SewES .... Yes, some of the lettering on the pics is hard to read. I'm sure Jenniky will figure it all out,
    From the peanut gallery, I prefer it to be there, than to be separate from the text ... even if I have a bit of a hard time reading it, it's much better to have it right there with what I am seeing in the pic!

Jenniky ... you're a woman of many talents!

Blog Entries
    Thank you all for you great reviews of my tutorials. It's a pleasure and learning experience making them. It's my way of giving back to the QB. I have learned so much here and I want to pay it forward anytime I can.

QuiltE - you never fail to bring a big grin to my face. I put your link in my Siggie this morning when I ran across an acronym I couldn't remember. I thought it would be very handy there for me and anyone else to use. I have been using my 1/4" presser foot except for some reason it didn't click for me to use it for the sashing in this project. I guess because I was sewing on batting I automatically thought of using my walker foot. I think the other reason is I have a 1/4" mark on my walker foot so its just like using my 1/4" presser foot. Always good to have lots of options. I am going to try using the 1/4" presser foot next time for comparison.

The main problem I see that arises with sewing on the sashing to the rows is the pull of the weight of material in the rows. I find there is a strain on the edges of sashing and edges of the row I am sewing. By placing the extra pins a couple inches out actually helps to hold the quilted rows in place and remove the pull and strain on the fabrics under my needle. Not my original idea; I read it somewhere in the numerous tutorials and comments here and there and just applied it to this problem.

Gardenergal - I hope you will share these quilts with me in person when we visit at the retreat. I am intrigued
    Have an awesome day!

Whew! You had me thinking it'd been there for days and I'd missed it!

Of course, what was I thinking ... you were using your walking foot!
    That's one of the joys for the Janomes with the AccuFeed system (their style of a walking foot) .... they have the regular AF, but also an AF 1/4", and AF SITD! I didn't realize how grand it was when I bought it ... now that I've used it I'm even more sold on it!

I keep thinking how spoiled we are on this thread ... you do all the research and consolidation Jenniky and we get to reap the rewards with no work, other than to show up here!!! A hero you are!

Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 19 ... LastLast