Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   2013 Fabric Moratorium (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/2013-fabric-moratorium-t209802.html)

DustysMomma 06-08-2013 06:29 PM

I bought about 10 yards of fabric this week from the online yard sale group that I help admin on Facebook. However, I feel I have to feel a little vindication, or is it justification? I saw the fabric and it screamed "YOU MUST OWN ME!!!" but I bought it with the promise that it will be used to make quilts for Sikesjj's group giving away mostly to children in Moore, OK. These are definitely bright girl colors, all seersucker fabrics. I also got a batch of king sheets and misc pillowcases for $2 that I'll use for for backings.

PaperPrincess 06-13-2013 04:21 AM

A friend in need... Well here's an excuse I haven't seen before, I'm teaching my friend to quilt and have been talking about Connecting Threads fabrics and their free shipping on a $50 purchase. She called me the other day and was about to place her first order, but didn't have quite enough yardage in her basket for free shipping, so did I want to get a couple yards of something and help her out? Being the great friend that I am I made the sacrifice & told her to order a couple yards of a neutral (beige). OK, I could have gotten thread or a pattern or a book or a notion... but it was only 2 yards. No will power I guess.

patsisler 06-13-2013 06:27 AM

Is it too late to join this challenge? I have the summer off from babysitting the grands (and I few weeks before my mom comes to stay with us until she finds an apartment). I have been resisting the call of fabric but the call for yarn is so strong these days. Maybe this will pull be back to the fabric!

Foxflower 06-13-2013 08:21 AM

patsisler....maybe this will help you with both. I don't think it's ever too late to join. Get some of yer yarn and tie yerself onto this wagon for sure.

Pat625 06-13-2013 09:53 AM

Trying to reduce stash..I always cut my scraps into different sizes..Today I am piecing a scrappy top using 5 inch squares, and it seems like I haven't made a dent in my scrap stash!! Forget about getting into the yardage!! going to have to make some simple fast quilts to get into the stash!

MadQuilter 06-13-2013 10:26 AM

Paper Princess, what a good friend you are. That was so nice of you. In this case, the purchase doesn't really count coz it falls under the "good deed" category. LOL

Patsisler, we are the poster children of FA (Fabriholics Anonymous) and it's an ongoing support group. Particularly for when we fall off the wagon. LOL

nancia 06-13-2013 11:51 AM

i'm wondering if we should be called " fabric bouncers". we fall off, buy some fabric and biounce back on, over and over and over and over and over and over

Pat625 06-13-2013 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by nancia (Post 6120273)
i'm wondering if we should be called " fabric bouncers". we fall off, buy some fabric and biounce back on, over and over and over and over and over and over

That must be where all these bruises came from!! We say we are not buying fabric, and secretly we are each others enablers!!

Emma S 06-13-2013 01:04 PM

Well folks here I am, Junes example for bad behavior. Yard sales, some people try to find a bonanza, envy the people that do and keep hoping. I fell into two on the same weekend. Quilters grade fabric, 21 yards still on the bolt, three different ones, $2 per yard. Large, really large assortment of scraps and two yard lengths from a quilters estate. (Pat, know just what you mean about scraps.) Total spent $49. I am really off the wagon, can't even see you guys from here in the dust. Worst part, if that ad, "quilting items" shows up I know I will be all over it.

oksewglad 06-13-2013 05:26 PM

My sister was here this week--we "traded" fabrics!! Her DH just shook his head.