Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   2013 Fabric Moratorium (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/2013-fabric-moratorium-t209802.html)

Pat625 09-05-2013 07:06 AM

Determined to be good this month!!

MadQuilter 09-07-2013 02:56 PM

I told the gal at the LQS that I won't be participating in any more Block of the Week projects since I ALWAYS seem to find something else I just HAVE to buy. Today a few FQs made their way into my bag but they are so cute - could not resist.

SouthPStitches 09-08-2013 08:32 AM

Now we're into the 9th month of the year and I don't think I've purchased 9 yards so my fabric buying compulsion seems to be under control, if I average it out. Amazing how you can rationalize......... That being said, week after next we're headed to Maine and it would be wrong for me not to go through the fabric department of a Marden's store. All bets may be off. Get out the bandaids, I may be falling off the wagon big time.

Foxflower 09-08-2013 09:23 AM

I'm doing good...In July I obtained only a handful of I-spy scraps for a project and used them immediately (actually I don't think the LQS charged me for them), no fabric purchases in August, and none so far this month. I traveled a lot during that time an managed to stay out of the fabric stores. The withdrawals have decreased and I'm working from stash other than asking friends her and there to augment my I-spy scraps. November here we come.......may not even have to buy any then either.

karenpatrick 09-08-2013 11:21 AM

I started out the year on a fabric moratorium and only fell off the wagon a couple of times. Well, my DH and another couple and I always go to Lake Shelbyville in southern Illinois for Labor Day Weekend. There is a charming little quilt shop in Shelbyville that I always go to to look to see what she has. The last couple of years she has had a sale bin that is a large wire basket and she takes bolt ends and puts them on sale at a deeply discounted price. Well, over $100 later I fell off the wagon with a thud. No one is perfect, right?

SandyinZ4 09-08-2013 12:15 PM

Fox, you are doing great. I think my withdrawals will cease for at least a month. A few days ago, I took all fabric off of shelves and out of bins and sorted it all out. I think I have enough fabric that I could keep busy with things for 4 years. This includes a lot of kits so needless to say, I don't think a LQS will be calling my name soon. Karen, I might have done the same if I were in your shoes. When you can get fabrics at a great discount, it is worth it to do so. I looked in KQ catalog today that came in the mail and backing for a large quilt is now over $100 for 9-11 yeards! My stash is looking more valuable all the time!

nancia 09-08-2013 02:56 PM

I am proud of me this month. I bought a small bunch of fq's to have an array of colors my ddil likes and wants in a quilt. Then i think her second quilt will be a scrappy since i really have a lot of scraps. I really like the wonky flying geese quilt that n2scrapper did a tute on. Looks fun and like i did a lot more work than I'm going to. That's always a plus. Haven't been able to get to actual sewing as i have been doing a great deal of hand to hand combat with some stubborn fleas! What i didn't spend on fabric, i spent on flea stuff! I may be emptying my shelves and washing everything! Yelp! I am out numbered, but not out classed! I WILL win! I hate those fleas-es to pieces!! Thanks, Sylvester ! Lol

Foxflower 09-08-2013 03:15 PM

Stash works great for backings! I have to confess that before my moratorium I had bought a stash of flannel for backings. I do like a flannel backing.

Emma S 09-08-2013 03:37 PM

I took "advantage" of the Thousands of Bolts under $5 per yd sale. Lets just say the delivery was over 25 yards. I will stay on that wagon through November, I will, I will!
Pat: Good luck this month. Hope temptation doesn't call.
Martina: Whats a few fq among friends? You did better than I did.
SouthP: Yes it would be very, very wrong!
Karen: What better way can you celebrate your triumph than to spend $100 on bagain fabric?
Sandy: I'm not even tempted by the expensive fabric no matter how beautiful, it is the darn sale fabric that gets me everytime. The feeling is that if the price keeps going up I won't be able to buy any new fabric, so just this once......!
Nancia: Not sure where you are, but when I lived in the SF Bay area, Aug and Sept were awful months for fleas. I didn't even have pets. It was the feral cats. One year our patio was grey, there were so many fleas. You have my absolute sympathy. Creepy stuff. I found the aersol flea cans, that you just set off and leave the house, were the most effective for indoors. For outdoors we had a bug guy come and spray. I really dislike insecticides but sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

justflyingin 09-09-2013 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by paulswalia (Post 6263984)
So - here's my story......(head hanging in shame). I haven't bought ANY fabric (except for a half yard piece with puppies that look like my puppy) in the past couple of months. Well, if you don't count those scrap bags of batiks from the Vermont Quilt Festival. But TWICE in the same period I was asked to take, FREE OF CHARGE, fabrics that were (a)left over from a charity project and (b) from an estate of a deceased quilter who I don't even know!!! It seems that once I decided I wasn't going to buy any fabrics the Goddess of all Things Quilty decided I really did need to add to the stash and has been bringing it my way for free. Sheesh - just added 30 yards to the stash. Hope the floor in the quilting room holds up under the weight of all that stash!

But why should you hang your head in shame? I guess I don't get it. I think it is neat that you were given this fabric...it is fantastic!