Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   2018 Fabric Moratorium (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/2018-fabric-moratorium-t293585.html)

oksewglad 01-02-2018 07:09 PM

Connie...I just need to figure out how to approach this challenge...I don't want to willy nilly make up blocks that end up in UFO land...we all know about those projects! How big of fabrics to use is another question. I'm not interested in doing the challenge quilt listed in the link. I'm thinking of making big HST's (6" finished)...I have a chunk of white and gray somewhere...okay now thinking outloud...ugh I have end of the year bookwork to do too.....throwing lots of rain on my quilt parade!

zozee 01-02-2018 07:14 PM

I'll join this year so as to keep my stash appetite in check. I've done pretty well without accountability, but this year my word is "contentment" and I want to be content with less fabric --by actually making more projects from what I have.

I'm going to try to record my inventory as well.

But don't worry; I'm a strong believer in keeping the brick & mortar quilt shops in business. Because of their higher prices, though, I tend to be more intentional about what I buy in my LQS anyway.

Teen 01-02-2018 08:05 PM

I am So weak!! I really don't know if I could do this but my stash is crazy...mostly precuts and FQ's which are my downfall...but I have a lot of yardage (7 whole bolts, too) that I should get into...I just don't. I'm starting a Baltimore album quilt this year and will be shopping on Thursday for the fabric...which will be a lot of yardage (20 yards) and there is nothing in my stash that I can use or have enough of (reproduction fabric). I need to buy all at once to guard against discontinued fabrics since this will likely be a 2-year project. I will join and do my best. I think just making a commitment to shop my stash first will be a huge step...

tscweaves 01-02-2018 09:18 PM

The fabric moratorium is such a good idea that we started one on another forum in regards to weaving yarn:-) No yarn buying "just because", shop the stash first. Thanks for being such a good influence on me! It will be interesting to see which wagon I fall off of first:D

elly66 01-03-2018 08:01 AM

Would like to join again this year. After several years of participating feel like last year was finally a success! I definitely controlled the "fabric bug" better.

Belfrybat 01-03-2018 01:18 PM

I haven't purchased fabric all year!!!!

rryder 01-03-2018 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Belfrybat (Post 7975817)
I haven't purchased fabric all year!!!!

Me either!!!!!:D

Altairss 01-03-2018 03:39 PM

I am in! I did ok last year better the year before but I really am limited on space and have far more fabric then is really reasonable and I need to be better at sticking to a budget! I know I will need to buy batting and some backing but really I played yesterday and was able to pull fabric in multiple colorways for quilts so what I have is very usable I just need to use it.

happylab 01-03-2018 06:32 PM

I got my 1st box of fabric I bought before the new year. Waiting second box and i’m Done buying for a while. The fabric is so pretty. It’s mostly batiks. I’m going to use the fabric for my 365 challenge I will be working on off and on this year and maybe next.

I’m so glad everyone have been shopping stash 1st before buying. Congrats everyone.

Eve de La Garouste 01-04-2018 12:37 AM

Hi,
I want to participate. My stash is out of controle : + 500 yards of fabrics. I'm a handmade quilter. with a job (35 hours/week). I make one or too quilts for year only.
My resolution : buy no fabrics, no books ou patterns, no notions. Only treath fot pieced or quilting.

Scuse my english, i'm a french girl !