Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   2019 Fabric Moratorium (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/2019-fabric-moratorium-t301821.html)

Conchalea 01-29-2019 03:59 AM

Jmoore, great restraint on your part! Congrats are well-deserved. Sometimes a ‘cooling-off period’ is all that’s needed in order to halt that impulse buy.
Connie, are there noticeable dents in your stash? Seems like there should be with all you’ve finished lately.

Irishrose2 01-29-2019 09:14 AM

Need another trip into the lion's den. I bought 1 1/2 yards of the lime for background on my current quilt. I'm getting low and I'm not done with the little 2 1/4" squares, then I will need more for the sashing strips.

Teen 01-29-2019 02:21 PM

Jmoore....I shopped MSQC too, yesterday...filled my cart with precuts and glue sticks.....logged out before purchasing....last night I deleted everything but the glue sticks and hit purchase....lol... We were of like mind.. We should be so proud of ourselves...

oksewglad 01-29-2019 02:37 PM

Way to stay strong! Keep it up folks...

SillySusan 01-29-2019 05:19 PM

We can do this, guys! In just a few days it will be a whole month down! And so many of us have used nothing but stash! Next month is a short one. We can do this... one day at a time and soon it is the end of another whole month! :)

retiredteacher09 01-29-2019 05:48 PM

Conchalea: The stash is going down but not fast enough yet for me. :) I basically just do the tops so it doesn't go down as fast as if I made backings. It is, however, a good feeling to get some tops done.

I got an email from one of the church quilter's that she left a bag of scraps for me in the quilting cupboard at church. Hopefully it is a small bag. I am getting good at going through the scraps and recycling what I don't want. She also left me jeans. ????? Somehow, the quilting leader told her that I used them for bags. Oh, oh! Well, I will look at the jeans and decide if they get dropped off at Salvation Army or if they will go in the recycling bag through our trash company. (I do take lighter weight denim fabric for my 'baby' charity to make diaper bags so that's where she probably got the idea I use jeans.)

Mary Christine 01-29-2019 06:23 PM

I've been doing so well - staying out of the LQS so I'm not tempted to buy anything, deleting online fabric stores from my email. But yesterday my FIL asked to me start cleaning out my departed MIL's sewing room. She was a quilter of many years and had several WIP. I couldn't let them be donated to a thrift store so I brought them home. :(

happylab 01-29-2019 07:05 PM

Great job everyone. I’m noting most are looking at their stash 1st or thinking about your purchases. Fantastic!

I went to my LQS and did not buy fabric. I bought a new cutting mat and ruler. I lost my other one. I also p/u my BOM. So I consider that a positive. I’m starting some new projects, that will take me a year to complete, but will be using my stash mostly.

Notwendy 01-29-2019 09:56 PM

Mary Christine: I am sorry for the loss of your MIL. However, in her place, I would want someone close to benefit from any remaining fabric and notions. As long as you can find a use for any of her fabrics, I wouldn’t think it violates the spirit of the moratorium. Overwhelming yourself with fabric you don’t care for is a different matter. You are under no obligation to burden yourself with fabric you don’t find beautiful and useful. I’m sure someone could find a use for any you can’t use.

SillySusan 01-30-2019 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Mary Christine (Post 8202224)
I've been doing so well - staying out of the LQS so I'm not tempted to buy anything, deleting online fabric stores from my email. But yesterday my FIL asked to me start cleaning out my departed MIL's sewing room. She was a quilter of many years and had several WIP. I couldn't let them be donated to a thrift store so I brought them home. :(

This doesn't count at all for adding to your stash. This is a special case. You are doing a great deed for your MIL and FIL. Don't you think that she would be super delighted that the quilting stuff she surely loved would be in good hands?

Please keep and use her WIPs, UFOs and fabric. She'll be looking down from Heaven and blessing you!!