Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   2019 Fabric Moratorium (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/2019-fabric-moratorium-t301821.html)

Battle Axe 12-31-2018 10:17 AM

This moratorium doesn't include tools.....does it? I just received my Christmas present (to myself) of Bundle # 1 half square triangle loc block rulers. Yeah! I'm ready for what ever Bonnie Hunter can toss in my direction. It consists of 6 rulers, from 1 1/2 inches to 6 inches square. Got them from Green Fairy.

Or patterns??? I have some patterns and a book coming.

Macybaby 12-31-2018 10:35 AM

You are going to love those bloc-loc rulers!

I've got a goal to not buy any fabric this year - if I can't make it from my stash than it can wait. I bought so much fabric last year when the local fabric store went out of business. I sure am going to miss them though, they were my source for affordable rolls of batting. I was able to get one roll so I'm OK for a while. Planning on ordering some on the end of year sale posted in the resource section.

pokeyscorner 12-31-2018 11:14 AM

;) I really need to thin out my STABLE as well! I tried a few years ago & it didn't work for me-- my sisters came to visit & we went to fabric stores for a month( they live in Australia so I understood) Too many beautiful fabrics called to me. I'm ready to give it a shot again. In a way I've already started -- I have 3 tops done from Stash.:shock:

Conchalea 12-31-2018 02:30 PM

Battle Axe, you ordered those things before New Year’s, so you’re good! I think the moratorium can apply to anything each person decides on. If a person has multiples of many tools, s/he could add tools to their personal moratorium. I personally am going to try & avoid any new purchases at all-unless I need something to complete a current project.
Grann of 6, I agree that having a project ready to go is an inspiration, although I like the cutting part of a project is one of my favorite parts, along with fabric choices.

grann of 6 12-31-2018 03:19 PM

I enjoy the cutting part too, but having a project all ready to go makes me excited to start on it. I have 19 blocks done, so tomorrow hopefully I can make the rest of them.

And as far as a tool moratorium goes, I bought several rulers in the last few months that have not been touched yet, so part of my goal is to try them out. It really is silly to have stuff around that you don't use.

AUQuilter 12-31-2018 03:41 PM

Committing to being on board with fabric reduction in 2019. I did quite well in 2018 until the end of the year-Nov and Dec. My goal is to finish UFOs, bust stash for backings and empty the scrap containers limiting to a smaller container. This past Saturday I went to a LQS that was closing at the end of the day. I had been told of the pending closing about two months ago and resisted. Then I had been cleaning up sewing room and saw that I was low on "reads solids" in some of my favorite colors. So off I went to a final reduction of 75% off all purchased.

Teen 12-31-2018 04:40 PM

I have a bunch of specialty rulers I haven't even tried yet so, good idea! I'm adding that to my moratorium.
And, cutting fabric is my most least favorite thing to do. That is why I cut a bit at a time...then sew... Breaks up the monotony for me. I have a friend I quilt with on occasion and she loves to cut...so periodically she'll cut mine so I can just sew. She dislikes pressing so I do that for her since I like that part... We figured out what works for us and have a ball.

AUquilter....Excellent deal! You really can't pass something like that up. I think the most challenging this last year, for me, was turning away from deals. Those annoying emails and LQS sales are so tempting. Then the magazines show up...Lordy...

Judith1005 12-31-2018 07:27 PM

I unsubscribed to a lot of sites so I won't be tempted. But, I need to unsubscribe to a few more. I bought my last 2 yards of fabric today. I need to make a couple of pillow cases to match a quilt that is somewhere on the list to make. I wanted to pick up the fabric before they didn't have it anymore. So, hopefully, I won't need anything else. I'm going to try really really hard to stay out of JoAnn Fabrics. My biggest challenge. Their coupons and sales are just sooo good. But, I don't need anything else. So, there you have it. I start fresh tomorrow. Jan. 1, 2019!

I got out my new 2019 calendar and started filling in my January goals. Hopefully, that will keep me on my goals to finish projects and also to start using up some scraps also. I'm excited to try to reduce my scraps a bit also. Even, if I get them cut and kitted so they are ready to use as leaders and enders.

peaceandjoy 12-31-2018 07:42 PM

Would you believe that with 1 1/2 hours until 2019 begins here, I just bought a layer cake and charm pack?

I'd had a Wilmington Essentials Red Carpet in my cart for a while. It was a daily deal @ Missouri Star, and although I loved it, I just never followed through. Of course, it's no longer the daily deal. However, a FB group I belong to had a post that MSQC had a $10 discount off of a $25 purchase until midnight. So I added today's deal (a charm pack) and had enough "quilters cash" that I'd been saving so that, with shipping, it only cost me $1.22.

For those struggling with stash - I would suggest that if there is any way to do it, arrange that stash so you can see it. If it's in tubs, fold it so that it will sort of stand with the fold along the top edge. When you open the tub, the fold will give you an idea of what's in the tub - instead of layer upon layer to dig through.

Conchalea 12-31-2018 08:08 PM

Good idea, Peace & Joy! I don't have much of a fabric stash (yarn is a whole 'nother matter!) but I still tend to forget what I do have when I tuck it away into bins. And you bought before the moratorium officially starts, so no penalty points for you. I may have to cyber shop for the next 2 hours...