Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   2020 UFO Challenge (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/2020-ufo-challenge-t308972.html)

Rff1010 10-10-2020 01:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally finished my nephew's quilt.
Pattern is "boomerang" by Jaybird Quilts
Fabric is "Yankee Doodles" FQ bundle I got a few years ago from Craftsy (before it became Bluprint and now back to Craftsy).
I added the piano key borders to bring the throw size to a 71x92 generous twin. He's in 4th grade now, but this way it will last a good long time.
I love my longarm lady! She bound and put on the label. So when things go to her- they come back *finished*.

retiredteacher09 10-10-2020 04:16 PM

oksewglad: Wahoo on another finish for you. I look forward to seeing pictures.

Rff1010: Congratulations on a very nice finish. Your nephew will love it!

rryder 10-11-2020 05:33 AM

Nice finish Rff1010- Congratulations!

Sync 10-11-2020 11:54 AM

oksewglad, congrats on another finish.

Rff1010, great finish, your nephew will love it.

Krisb 10-12-2020 12:02 PM

September finishes

Well. i have been stalling on doing Sept finishes, hoping that some more would appear out of the ether. They did not. So here are the 8 that I have, counting all of entangled’s 2020 finishes.

Covid 19 alone can’t beat us, but covid plus wildfires plus hurricanes sure can slow us down. Or divert us from planned UFO completion into buying more fabric or making more tops. Like a bird dog: Look! Pretty fabric! Owner may have wanted me to bring back ball, but I am chasing the squirrel!

It seems appropriate to say “Out of 20 possible finishes in September, you have registered a meager 8. But who is still adding to her UFO tally instead of reducing the pile? Krisb, you are the weakest link!”

Conchelea qnd K continue to save the rest of us from ourselves.

Originally Posted by Conchalea (Post 8419800)
Nice finishes here! K completed the last top from her daughter's collection, so now she's sewing string blocks. This makes 4 UFOs we've finished for September & 28 since June. A local woman will pick up another load of quilts to hand out to needy residents when cold weather arrives. Our first day of fall was cloudy & cool, with some drizzle.

Connie is keeping on the one per month grack.

Originally Posted by retiredteacher09 (Post 8421676)
I just finished a top with 48 blocks of 72 from my Summer Moon UFO. I made the insides of the blocks during our Friday classes last summer at a LQS. Then it took me a while to frame them according to the pattern. I knew I wouldn’t be happy with all of the light backgrounds when I was making it so I decided to use sashing instead of setting the blocks side by side. It’s 69.5” by 80” and will go into the church donation pile for our group to finish some day (or maybe just me if we can’t meet soon).

We welcome entangled to the group and And, yes, I am counting everything she has done in 2020, even before she “officially” enrolled. 🤫

Originally Posted by entangled (Post 8422137)
That would be ideal, WMUTeach! My house is still chaos, with two teens who are lovely about snuggles still, but it means I have no personal space. (Also, I am infamous for causing injury to my family because I've left out craft supplies; two of us have been impaled by knitting needles!) Voila, here are my three finishes for 2020:

i would also love to count Teen’s finish, but she says it does not meet her definition,

entangled 10-12-2020 01:58 PM

Oh wow, I didn't know there was a monthly tally! That's great -- extra motivation! And thanks for counting my babes. They weren't all finished in September exactly, but close -- and September was their QB debut so I think that works well. 😉

oksewglad 10-12-2020 05:19 PM

Thanks for the update krisb! Let's see how October goes for us all. We are already into the second week. We can get more than 8 can't we? As previously noted I have 2 UFO's done (sorry no photos yet) and finished a baby quilt that did not become a UFO...did you hear that Teen? I have a stack of quilt tops from our church that I may finish...I think they will count as UFO's although not my own. They have been around for quite a while.

retiredteacher09 10-14-2020 04:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Another UFO top finished! Wahoo! I even made a backing from fabric that was purchased maybe 10 years ago at a garage sale for only a few dollars.

On the bottom rows, I used the last 4 of my 72 blocks from the UFO Summer Moon. The Dresden blocks were in a church quilting donation as was the handquilted basket block. I framed them to add some color to the quilt top. The colorful strips were orphan strips and the 6” blocks, cut by my church group, have resided in my house for many years waiting to be used. The green chevron fabric is the only fabric from my personally owned stash in the top.

I found out today that my church group met yesterday and can now meet on Tuesday mornings again. I will be happy to join them in November and even more happy to give them all of the tops I have finished. I also have 2 big rolls of batting for the group. It will be nice to say farewell to the quilts and batting. 😀

Sync 10-14-2020 05:27 PM

retired teacher, congrats on another UFO top finished.

oksewglad 10-14-2020 06:17 PM

Connie you do such a great job of putting orphan blocks together! Another UFO count! Yay!