Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   2020 UFO Challenge (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/2020-ufo-challenge-t308972.html)

NZquilter 01-05-2020 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by zozee (Post 8347805)
I’m in! Thanks for hosting, Conchalea.

For added incentive, can we add a Group Tally Goal per month? I found that gave me an extra push to feel I was contributing to “the community”. There were many binding stitches happening at 11:00 pm on the last day of some months!

Maybe an annual goal of 220 for the group, divided into monthly goals, with higher tallies in the first 9 months (before holidays)?

Anybody else favor this idea? I’d be happy to do the work of setting group goals and counting finishes on the 2nd or 3rd of the month.

I'm game with this idea! Let's join forces and show those UFOs who's boss! (smiley face :)

Sync 01-05-2020 12:48 PM

Okay, I'm in. Let's just say I have a bunch of UFOs that have been begging me to finish them. I figure I can get lots of encouragement and some gentle (or not so gentle) pushing from everyone here.

Conchalea 01-05-2020 01:50 PM

I'll announce 2 completions for Jan 2020! On Jan1, during VQW, I finished binding a small wall hanging & a lap quilt. The lap quilt is Surprise Pinwheels, from MSQC, that I quilted in May & set aside. I don't know why I put off binding-it really doesn't take long! The WH is an art deco piece I designed, with the idea of making a quilt. The test block convinced me it was to be 1 of a kind, so I added borders, did some minimal quilting, & put on binding. I like it, but not enough to make an entire quilt. It will decorate my new (to me) house when I move. Those are my only UFOs at this time...

petthefabric 01-05-2020 02:08 PM

From Post #1 by Conchella, "Whether your UFO is a few months old, or 20, or more (?) You are the one who decides what is or isn't a UFO." So I'm defining mine as any quilt I've started on (cutting) and then put aside for 2 + months. This encourages me to get it finished before I loose interest. With that definition I've got 12 in my sewing room. What's out in the LA room? Probably another dozen. This is part of downsizing that takes perseverence.... I need a lot of practice.

Conchalea 01-05-2020 02:08 PM

I'm in favor of a tally. It helps everyone to know each finish adds to the group count.

Conchalea 01-05-2020 02:13 PM

Wow, Pet, I'm impressed by all the quilts you've worked on! I'm trying to keep mine under control, & this thread really has helped. At this moment, I have 1 top completed, just today, & some pieces started for another top. Piecing is my favorite part of the process, so it would be easy for me to complete a top & forget about it. I dont want to move a lot of incomplete quilts, so i hope to buy backing & binding fabric tomorrow for the finished top.

Bugaroo 01-05-2020 02:39 PM

I'm in toooo! This sounds so motivational... both in encouragement and completion!

1. Need to finish piecing a queen quilt to match husbands grandmother's needlepoint (need to get it framed!)
2. Need to complete last years Christmas throw -- half way done.
3.Taking a collage class later this month for a MOOSE quilt. Have the fabric!
4. Taking another class for Hunters Star. Have the blue batik fabrics. Planning on adding Koi fish along the borders.
5. Have a jelly roll sewn together but it needs something more
6. Quilting as you go Farm Girl 2 queen

zozee 01-05-2020 03:40 PM

Let’s do this group goal thing, since the feedback has been all positive thus far. I’ll do my best to keep track and post.

Please help me by PM’ing me your personal total of UFO’s completed. Do this either as you finish each one, or by 11 AM EST on the first day of the next month. That way I won’t have to scroll through a ton of posts or worry about missing some. I will post a group total on the first or second of the month, as my schedule allows.

To get an accomplishment under our belts, I suggest picking the UFO that is closest to being finished. Go ahead and finish it or donate it or cross it off your list once and for all. It’s like paying off the credit card with the lowest balance on it.

Group Goal for January is 22. Get busy! We’re in this together!

WMUTeach 01-05-2020 04:56 PM

Thanks for being our record keeper. I was really motivated by the monthly finishes last year. Knowing others are posting monthly totals is just enough peer pressure for me to get the next one finished. I have not made a list of what is considered a UFO, but like all of us here, I have plenty. I am currently working on a hand quilting piece that is 20+ years in the making. I'll share the whole story when it is finished. Shooting for February to declare it done.

zozee 01-05-2020 06:02 PM

UFO Group Tally to date

We are off to a great start! To date we are at 4.

1/1 Conchalea.....2
1/3 Quossum..... .1
1/4. dmo....... 1

We have 18 to go. Tell us what your personal goal # is for January and what you’ve chosen to start with.

My Goal is to complete 1 donation quilt and get a friendship quilt sandwiched —after finishing grandbaby’s quilt for shower in two weeks.