Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   2021 Fabric Moratorium (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/2021-fabric-moratorium-t313678.html)

WMUTeach 01-02-2021 04:03 AM

I am back again for 2021. This year will be more of a challenge because I used up so much of my stash in 2020, but...there is still a sufficient amount to use.

Oh my goodness, I just looked at the Debby Brown Sew-a-Long and signed up! Thanks for mentioning the site. Off I go to the Birthday Swap thread here on the QB. These folks need to know about Debby Browns year long sew-a-long with 2.5" squares. Whoopie, I am in charm square heaven. One quilt a month....perfect. Good by scraps!

jmoore 01-02-2021 04:43 AM

Me too, I’m in again...although in 2020 it was not difficult to adhere to the moratorium. Like most, I didn’t travel nor attend quilt shows. Thank you Conchelea for keeping this thread going.

I am always intrigued by those of you (Teen, Connie and joe’smom) who make up kitted projects. I wish I could be motivated to try a few...not sure how I would go about it. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Ckcowl that is nice of you to share your stash...I went through all of my stash, even crumb bins right after Christmas and have a pile of “tired of looking at” and “what was I thinking” fabrics to share with a couple of friends. I have a modest stash and like to keep it that way.

I just ordered two new scrappy patterns from Quilting Daily’s 40% sale that are perfect to use up scraps.

Rhonda K 01-02-2021 04:53 AM

I'm in for 2021!

It's day 2 and so far I'm good. There are lots of stash fabrics, panels and kits in the closet to keep me busy. Let's see what we can do this year!

rryder 01-02-2021 05:21 AM

Thanks for getting us going again, Conchalea! I’m in. This thread has been great for me. Over the years it has helped me become more mindful of what I buy for my stash. I will always have a stash, but now it is much more useful than it was way back when I was just buying whatever caught my eye.

Connie- great top.

Rob

retiredteacher09 01-02-2021 05:45 PM

WMUTeach: I’m glad you signed up for the Debby Brown Quilt along. I may do 4.5” square (4 patches) for some months especially if I get behind with 2.5” squares. I’m making my quilt one row longer and am doing pink blocks and yellow blocks on a fabric that reads blue sometimes and at other times purple. 🤷‍♀️ I look forward to your monthly quilts.

jmoore: When you get your new patterns, start by collecting some scraps and put them in a container/bag. Then add to it as you find other scraps that you want to use. Sometimes, I just put fabric together with the pattern in a container and cut when I’m ready. With my Signature blocks, I’m using my die cutter on random scraps that I want to incorporate into a quilt or 2. When I feel I have enough variety, I will start assembling and cut more as needed. Hope this helps.

Conchalea 01-02-2021 05:52 PM

I've completed all 35 10.5" blocks for my Ripple quilt. All fabric is from stash, 35 jelly roll strips in bright colors & 17 neutral strips. I'll also use stash for borders. Still undecided about those. So far, the fabric used equals 3.6 yards!

WMUTeach 01-03-2021 03:41 AM

Retiredteach, I just watched the Debby Brown video on how to spiral quilt. Goodness how easy is that and so impressive. I am dreaming of all the UFOs hanging in my closet that I made last year from my stash that need quilting. Whoo Hoo, I can see the finish line on some of them using spiral quilting. Now I will have to see if I counted those quilts for last year or can I count them as stash busters this year 2021. https://cdn.quiltingboard.com/images/smilies/wink.png

jmoore 01-03-2021 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by retiredteacher09 (Post 8449040)
jmoore: When you get your new patterns, start by collecting some scraps and put them in a container/bag. Then add to it as you find other scraps that you want to use. Sometimes, I just put fabric together with the pattern in a container and cut when I’m ready. With my Signature blocks, I’m using my die cutter on random scraps that I want to incorporate into a quilt or 2. When I feel I have enough variety, I will start assembling and cut more as needed. Hope this helps.

Yes, , your post is very helpful and I will definitely use your suggestion. Thank you for sharing your idea.

rryder 01-03-2021 05:28 AM

Where is the Debby Brown site with the sew along? I keep seeing youtube videos and an old blog when I search on her name, but haven’t found anything that is new.

Rob

juliasb 01-03-2021 06:01 AM

I did good with last years mortarium so I am going to do this again. I have nine quilt tops that I finished from my stash and only had to buy one or two pieces to complete a couple of them. I cut into my stash very well. That is the plan again for this year. I am going to try and not look online at any fabrics.