Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   2021 Fabric Moratorium (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/2021-fabric-moratorium-t313678.html)

Iceblossom 08-01-2021 09:17 AM

I've been posting pix over in the Mission Organization thread. Still so much to do, still so much fabric. After moving these boxes of fabric here and there so I could work around them, I'm currently I'm thinking that my goal is to get all my fabric into the closet and that maybe I am close but it won't yet fit! I do know that I have several groups of fabric that I have determined are about ready to go, but even if that is two boxes, I need to use/let go ore than that!

It's a process that begins by limiting what comes in... I'm doing really good on not buying new fabric except for immediate use and generally I'm doing ok with the thrift store buys. The auction stuff is rare, but I have a lot to get through.

With all this new stuff coming in in addition to what I'm eyeballing as going out, I am actively watching for people in my local Craig's List, Next Door, etc. There will be a "sewing and crafts things wanted" and I will be able to pass on quite a bit of stuff.,, the only caveat will be they must be willing to take lots of stuff :p

rryder 08-01-2021 10:03 AM

Ckcowle- I feel your pain. OTOH- the blocks you made look great- can you modify the design to use the sizes that they ended up being?

I got my Debby Brown July top pieced and am working on piecing the Star blocks for the August top…. Am flying through the 2.5” square scraps making these quilts and also managing to use stash for the sashing, borders and binding. I bought a wide back for the June quilt, and got it quilted and bound before my surgery. Just haven’t managed to photograph it yet. This week I was able to piece a back for the July quilt using stash and got it sandwiched, so it’s ready to be quilted when I feel up to doing a large quilt- maybe sometime toward the end of this week or early next. I haven’t decided on sashing or borders for the August quilt, but there’s likely something in stash that will work- fingers crossed.

Rob

Teen 08-01-2021 12:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Rob….so impressed that you are sticking with the Debbie Brown monthly challenges. You are powering thru your scraps…that must feel good.

I made this cute little quilt for an adorable 3 year old who loves flowers. I used the scraps from a wide backing I used on another quilt for the floral print and stash on hand. It’s 45”sq. I ripped out this pattern from a really old magazine in 2016 and thought I’d give it a try with this little quilt. I cut it out one evening, and sewed it together the next. I have some cartoon animal print fabric that I’m going to make another one. I think it’s the perfect pattern for large print..

ckcowl 08-01-2021 04:15 PM

That’s a cool remedy iceblossom. I’m going to use the strips and might change things up and try a few blocks following that tutorial. For my exchange blocks I need to cut new strips correctly and make the blocks- but that’s ok. I will enjoy playing with all my unexpected strips- see all the different blocks/ layouts I can come up with using them. I think I’ve been waiting for a situation to start me on a new adventure. Since I’ve had trouble wrapping my brain around some patterns/ plans I’ve found each strip block, or log cabin takes me 45 minutes to an hour and that seems to be working for me.

Iceblossom 08-03-2021 06:14 AM

Cranky Bernie (my machine) seems to be much happier with the reorganization I've been doing. I finally sat down to those HST yesterday and had a lovely time without thread errors and with great stitch quality :) Today is ironing, not so lovely but fast and easy enough.

Today being Tuesday group I have boxes of stuff from the Auction pick up for the ladies to go through. I don't think they are going to take much... but you never know. I'll be pinning the 2-fer HST units to the center Squares while they go through the boxes. I didn't keep much for myself, but all in all, it's pretty good just not quilting.

If you somehow missed my auction/hand crank -- here's the at home shots!
https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintag...r-t316010.html

Iceblossom 08-03-2021 06:23 AM

Teen -- I keep meaning to say that quilt of yours has been working on my brain. I really like the potential of it and that it isn't regular old straight up and down... but it is!

As we know, I'm always looking for something to do with a yard or two of large novelty prints... I have a couple that just scream this top! (particularly lavender with silly animals and polka dots...)

rryder 08-03-2021 02:45 PM

Teen- that is one cool quilt! I love that it's so geometric, but not straight up and down and those fabrics work great with it.

I got my August color block quilt top finished, I need to see if there's something in my stash that can be used for backing, otherwise I may need to use my Birthday exemption to purchase some fabric https://cdn.quiltingboard.com/images...es/biggrin.png. July color block is sandwiched and ready to quilt whenever I feel up for it. And- I posted a pic of the June color block in the pics section- go take a look when y'all get a chance. I ended up buying a wide back for it, but the rest is from scraps and stash.

Rob

Teen 08-03-2021 05:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks everyone!

Ice…very cool pattern for novelty prints. I have my next baby quilt kitted up for this pattern and will share soon. Comes together really quickly, too…double bonus.

Good lord, Rob…August done already! You go, guy!!

I’m trying to use up some scraps from my pumpkin quilt…I love those fabrics. Today, I made a 6” block for my little stand and I’m thinking of making one for my sister…I gifted her with the stand and her first 6” block on my last trip so now I need to make a variety for seasons etc so she can change them out, BTW..this is a great Christmas gift idea.. Is this stinkin’ cute or what? Lol..

Blue Bell 08-03-2021 07:03 PM

Cut pumpkin quilt, Teen. Your sister will love it.

Blue Bell 08-04-2021 06:04 AM

CUTE------ No need to make a huge quilt when a little one can put a smile on someone's face.