Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   2021 Fabric Moratorium (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/2021-fabric-moratorium-t313678.html)

Rff1010 10-25-2021 05:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've been doing a bunch of reading on Zero Waste life - and well - I have all this decor fabric and I'm going to make some bags and use them as wrapping for my gifts. Here are 2 toiletries bags and a gift bag. I did need to buy interfacing but that's it - everything else was from stash.

Give it some thought - especially if you've got big prints and can't quite figure out what to do with them.

retiredteacher09 10-25-2021 06:09 PM

Gemm: Great use of the QSTs! Very nice quilt.

Rff1010: Great way to use up the decor fabric.

Gemm 10-30-2021 04:37 PM

Rff - that bag is great - such a super way to use a stunning graphic print.

ckcowl - thanks for including that tidbit about Ben's using graph paper to draft his quilts - I'm just starting to think about a new project and wasn't sure if graph paper would cut it, but now I'm encouraged to give it a try!

There are so many great ideas out there - every time I log on here I find new inspiration. Thanks to everyone for being so generous with your projects, experiences and observations. :-D

ckcowl 11-01-2021 11:32 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Digging through stash I found some panels and kits I’ve probably had for years- put away in a tote of holiday projects. Managed to get this apron done before my machine had a problem. Also have a good start on a really cute tree skirt.
of course the tree skirt being mostly blue LittleBit is sure it’s for her

Iceblossom 11-02-2021 07:16 AM

I've been mostly working at my quitling down projects and getting ready for the Bonnie Hunter Mystery this year. When I designed the Froggy Beach project I found the perfect piece of fabric to use as the backing. Unfortunately, when I made the top larger the backing didn't magically grow in size and is now pretty much exactly the same size as the top. I've figured out a way to use more of that bolt of Olfa green solid to make the back larger so score -- use up more and no fabric bought!

I sent a box of fun fabrics out to a board member. As I say, it is a box of "weird and some better than usual stuff". Always a good day when fabric comes in the mail, even if it is adding to stash.

I am fighting the temptations to indulge in retail therapy.., all the bright fabrics are calling to me but I'm not answering.

petthefabric 11-02-2021 11:38 AM

Moving is stressful. It's forcing me to reevaluate my priorities. At my age of #$%^, I've got to be more realistic of what I'm capable of doing (including hunting in back corners), what I really want to accomplish and what time I have. Retail therapy: the need to get rid of stash is next to the drivers door of the car. A very visual reminder I'll probably have buyers remourse.

Reduced my stash by 3 lg flat rate UPSP boxes. Didn't make a dent.

I'll talk myself into depression if I keep this up. Grab that next box, sort and shut it down for the move.

Looking forward to the other end of the move.

Teen 11-03-2021 12:18 PM

Ckcowl….such cute projects… satisfying when done quickly..

petthefabric….A good lesson for all of us, I suppose…I have really made a good dent in mine this year and ended up giving some away, too. But, still….bought stuff when I really shouldn’t have. Oh well! Continued good vibes for your move. I know it’s stressful

ckcowl 11-07-2021 05:30 AM

Since I won’t have my sewing machine back from the shop until Wednesday I’ve been straightening, sorting and cutting, putting together little ( kits) of gift projects ready to be sewn. I will be ready to get lots of little things made when the machine comes home. I have 4 sets of pot holders ready, 3sets of placemats ( might get more prepared today) a couple candle mats, I am thinking about making a couple nice totes too. I have today to putz more and continue to use more stash fabrics.
I think I’ve made better progress making dents in the amount of fabric on my shelves this year. The previous years I’ve participated it never seemed like I was getting anywhere even though I wasn’t shopping. I still have a number of ufos to deal with but I haven’t created more of them ( until now with my little prepared kits) but the ufo topic is for a different post. ;)

Rff1010 11-07-2021 09:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
CK - if your sewing space is anything like mine - some organization puttering is always needed!

​​​​​​I used Melanie Ham's box bag tutorial to make these 2. The left is with interfacing and the right with some scrap batting and I did some practice FMQ.
1) I hated the fabric originally - but it's grown on me. I think these came out downright cute!
2) for those of us with very little FMQ skills I think it was a great practice-with-a-purpose.

Well it's not like I have a fabric shortage around here and Christmas is coming...

ckcowl 11-08-2021 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Rff1010 (Post 8518213)
CK - if your sewing space is anything like mine - some organization puttering is always needed!

​​​​​​I used Melanie Ham's box bag tutorial to make these 2. The left is with interfacing and the right with some scrap batting and I did some practice FMQ.
1) I hated the fabric originally - but it's grown on me. I think these came out downright cute!
2) for those of us with very little FMQ skills I think it was a great practice-with-a-purpose.

Well it's not like I have a fabric shortage around here and Christmas is coming...

those 2 box bags are so cute and that fabric is a perfect choice for them. They will make great gifts. I need to make a few bags too. I came across a whole large tote of holiday fabrics I honestly thought I had used up.