Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   2024 UFO Adventure Challenge (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/2024-ufo-adventure-challenge-t322179.html)

retiredteacher09 01-08-2024 08:46 PM

I’m in! Thanks for starting this thread, happylab.

I have followed along for several years and this year I really need to work on my UFOs. A few have been added since I made my list when I first joined this thread. 🤷‍♀️

I have my UFOs in one area. Last week, I pulled out the top for my niece and her family. I measured it and decided on a size for the backing which I have in my stash. My plan for this week will be getting the backing sewn together. Baby steps. 🙂.

JeanieG 01-11-2024 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby (Post 8631257)
I completed several UFO's last year, after quitting my job and then deciding to retire early - and wanting to get as much done while we were waiting for the house to sell. Still waiting, and still working on projects.

I have one very long term UFO that I need help with. I have a set of 50 blocks - Coral Doak's paper pieced stars. I can't come up with a way to put them together that lights a fire under me. I'm pretty sure they are the last set of blocks I have that need to be put together. I think one of the problems is that there are 50 of them, and I don't want to leave any out. I'd be find with adding more setting blocks, or going with medallion style and pieced borders. I know I don't want to go with regular sashing.

I'll go dig them out and take pictures.

I'm attaching a picture of another set of blocks that sat in a tote for a few years. The setting blocks are all the same, just with different fabric color placement. Now it's in the "to be quilted" pile, but I don't consider those to be UFO's.

I started those stars, but only got about 6 or 7 done and decided I did not like paper piecing enough to finish. I think I will make a table runner out of them!

JeanieG 01-11-2024 08:03 PM

Hi everyone!

I have five Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilts that need to be quilted (including Indigo Way that I am still working on)! I am so slow, as I quilt everything myself on my Brother 1500S sewing machine. I enjoy the quilting, but hate the sandwich process. I try to not start any new projects, but cannot resist Bonnie's Mysteries!

Mkotch 01-12-2024 04:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I just finished "Rows Parade," an online row of the month (that I got behind on) by Abigail Dolinger. I find her instructions to be easy to follow. I also tried to follow the Rainbow Scrap Challenge on each row but veered off the track there, too. Still, I'm pleased to have finished this month since I have several more quilts waiting.

Macybaby 01-12-2024 05:44 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Mkotch, that row of the month is very nice. Every time I see one, it makes me want to make one.

While I was digging around, I found a couple more abandoned projects. These are things I started but lost interest and know I'll never make more. One was these PP stained glass looking blocks. This was a block of the month project and after making one, I got the really stupid idea of making them a lot smaller. Got two of them done and that was enough. And in the same tote I also found another tiny PP star. This was another insanity phase where I was seeing just how small I could make them. I have a set of 16 that got put into a wall hanging, but this one got left out.

Since this meant I had three black/batik orphan groups, I'm going to put htem all together into one wall hanging.
I did a rough sketch of my idea, then laid them out on the floor to see if it was going to work. This morning I did a full size layout. I've only done 1/4 as they'll be the same, with the top being taller.

The next step will be to put together the broken glass - stained glass looking panels to put it all together. I already have a lot of black cut for the leading part, as I cut a lot when I was planning on doing the original projects, and had left it aside for if I ever got back to them.

I've also got a tote of batik scraps, so that will get used too.

I'll be doing them like a crazy quilt, just sewing black to one side and sewing another piece to it, and adding groups until I get big enough pieces to cut out what I need.

Macybaby 01-13-2024 07:55 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is my progress so far.

Mkotch 01-14-2024 03:34 AM

Macybaby (Cathy), I recognize some of those orphans - have had a few myself. I love the way you are putting them together! This should make a stunning quilt.

petthefabric 01-20-2024 07:34 AM

When “Bonnie” is complete, UFO starts with goal of 1 completed. Taking “baby steps”. OR ‘How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.”

rryder 01-20-2024 08:45 AM

Hey all,
I started out with 20 UFOs and have gotten rid of 3 by putting uncut fabric back into my yardage and cut pieces into my scrap bins. Not exactly finishing, but those three were sitting, un-pieced in my UFO pile for more than 5 years and I like the fabric enough to use it on other things. What a relief to have made a decision! And my pile is now down to 17. Several are partially pieced, two are ready to be sandwiched, and there are some that I don't remember what they need.

My goal for next month is to get my Debby Brown Oct/Nov? 2019? quilt quilted, it's been sandwiched for a few years now but keeps getting put behind others. I just have to finish ditching my Around We Go quilt in order to free up the Sweet 16.

Rob

Rff1010 01-20-2024 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by rryder (Post 8632937)
Hey all,
I started out with 20 UFOs and have gotten rid of 3 by putting uncut fabric back into my yardage and cut pieces into my scrap bins. Not exactly finishing, but those three were sitting, un-pieced in my UFO pile for more than 5 years and I like the fabric enough to use it on other things. What a relief to have made a decision! And my pile is now down to 17. Several are partially pieced, two are ready to be sandwiched, and there are some that I don't remember what they need.

My goal for next month is to get my Debby Brown Oct/Nov? 2019? quilt quilted, it's been sandwiched for a few years now but keeps getting put behind others. I just have to finish ditching my Around We Go quilt in order to free up the Sweet 16.

Rob

No shame in processing a UFO into "not gonna do it" - often we feel guilty, but its better to direct your energies to what you WANT to work on.