Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Affairs of the Heart by Aie Rossman QAL (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/affairs-heart-aie-rossman-qal-t257174.html)

IQuiltnFL 11-23-2014 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by dd (Post 6980433)
I just told my kids about the book too. I have problems with the black background fabric though. Mine always winds up with white cat hair all over it. I normally use Kona from Joanns. Anyone have any good ideas for a nice black that doesn't wear fur well. Is Moda any better? Another brand? Or is it just the nature of the beast? Love the batiks though.

I have used a fabric from Keepsake called Amish Black. It is not Kona. I have used other blacks and they all pick up a little lint, sadly. I have read this is a good fabric though. My pet peave on most solids is how they fray :-(.

dd 11-23-2014 05:27 AM

I have heard about the Amish Black but have never used it. I was thinking maybe something with a little poly in so it wouldn't fade but they also pick up cat hair. Oh, what to do....

Raggiemom 11-23-2014 06:58 AM

I'm not going to use black fabric for that exact reason! I have 4 cats and their fur is everywhere. I'm panning to use a white or cream background. Considering fairy frost but I'll see what other fabrics I pick first.

Originally Posted by dd (Post 6980433)
I just told my kids about the book too. I have problems with the black background fabric though. Mine always winds up with white cat hair all over it. I normally use Kona from Joanns. Anyone have any good ideas for a nice black that doesn't wear fur well. Is Moda any better? Another brand? Or is it just the nature of the beast? Love the batiks though.

Fran Foss 11-23-2014 11:40 AM

I've ordered the book today. I have never done a QAL before hope there will be some help and explaining how to get each weeks class.
Thanks I can hardly wait

gramquilter2 11-23-2014 11:53 AM

This is going to be a fun project. Thanks for organizing it.

SewExtremeSeams 11-23-2014 12:14 PM

Thank you for setting this up. I have had the book for a few years now but never got started. I am planning to participate and learn but not make a quilt out it. I probably will do one block wall hangings or other small projects from the blocks I create.

crafty pat 11-23-2014 12:17 PM

That is going to be a beauty. Those fabrics are just beautiful. Can't wait to see it finished.

jeanne49 11-23-2014 12:18 PM

I'm going to have to check out that book, maybe I'll join, but need to check it out first. Love those oriental fabrics. I have quite a collection of them and have been waiting for something special to make with them.

kaelynangelfoot 11-23-2014 02:02 PM

@dd - I'm going to be using a cream/gold for the background, so hoping to avoid the lint issue.
@Sewextremeseams (love your name, btw) I've had the book forever too, definately looking forward to starting (and finishing) this quilt.
@Fran Floss - There won't be a weekly class per se but there will be plenty of people here to help you with any advice you need, please don't be afraid to ask.

HouseDragon 11-23-2014 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by kaelynangelfoot (Post 6979778)
Me too! I'm so excited that I've gotten such a positive response from everyone here. I've already got my fabrics. [ATTACH=CONFIG]499905[/ATTACH]

Your fabrics are absolutely gorgeous!

My book just came in the mail yesterday!

Unfortunately, I just don't have the time to do a block a week but I'll be reading every post and drooling over every photo.

This project goes in my After-the-UFOs-are-at-least-90%-caught-up stack. :o