Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Affairs of the Heart by Aie Rossman QAL (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/affairs-heart-aie-rossman-qal-t257174.html)

Nammie to 7 11-25-2014 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by dd (Post 6980433)
I just told my kids about the book too. I have problems with the black background fabric though. Mine always winds up with white cat hair all over it. I normally use Kona from Joanns. Anyone have any good ideas for a nice black that doesn't wear fur well. Is Moda any better? Another brand? Or is it just the nature of the beast? Love the batiks though.

You might have to shave your cats.:p

#1piecemaker 11-25-2014 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by kaelynangelfoot (Post 6979778)
Me too! I'm so excited that I've gotten such a positive response from everyone here. I've already got my fabrics. [ATTACH=CONFIG]499905[/ATTACH]

Wow you've chosen some gorgeous fabrics. Can't wait to watch the progress!!

Knitette 11-26-2014 12:00 AM

I'm enlarging my blocks 130% to 9" finished and trimming to 9 1/2", so will be cutting 4 x 10 1/2" blocks from WOF.

I've ordered Kona Premium Jet Black (which I've never seen as there's only one LQS here and they don't stock Kona).

Normally I would do all my cutting up front but wonder if it's better to cut as I go to prevent mixing up wrong and right side? I'm concerned that any chalk marks might rub off or transfer.

To cut or not to cut, that is the question :)

kindleaddict63 11-26-2014 02:30 AM

Good point knitette...I chose to have black background too. I think I will have to pin a small safety pin in the corner of the blocks on the right side.

dd 11-26-2014 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 (Post 6984428)
You might have to shave your cats.:p

haha I've always told everyone the cat hair is free. Don't think I could bring myself to shave them.

I didn't know Kona had a right and wrong side. Guess I will have to look again.

kaelynangelfoot 11-26-2014 04:19 AM

I am planning on cutting one block at a time, at least until I get rolling on this and gain some confidence.

dd if you do shave the cats, post a pic, we could make them our mascots.

kindleaddict, I also like take my time with washing and ironing! It does allow the project to marinate a bit.

mojo11 11-26-2014 07:30 AM

I think I will join along, but I will probably be a little behind everyone else. To me........that's ok.

IQuiltnFL 11-26-2014 08:55 AM

I just received my book! Doing a little stash shopping to get started😉. Not sure how much I'll need to buy after that. I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone chooses for their fabrics.

Anoka Quilter 11-26-2014 03:46 PM

This is a stunning quilt. Do I need a project life this for 2015, not really. But it could be fun doing to QAL with others on the board. Will have to give this some thought over the weekend.

IQuiltnFL 11-27-2014 05:11 AM

Hmmm, the shaved cats suggestion is creating a scary visual... ��. I have been trying to decide about background. I just finished a top with Kona background and really don't care to use it again. It frays like crazy and I'm likely to manipulate my squares a lot while appliqueing so I considered a sateen finish black cotton that is a finer weave. The problem is...it's really soft and a bit thin. I probably will try to start with a block and see how it goes. I'm going to hand applique..I think. I prefer the freezer paper and glue method. I get my best results using this method. Turned needle just doesn't look as good when I try it. I must admit I am envious of those who have mastered needle turn.