Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   ART Quilt Challenges Monthly (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/art-quilt-challenges-monthly-t189772.html)

dotcomdtcm 10-02-2012 05:41 AM

Beloved memory: The seasons change and there is a certain smell in the air. I am on The Hill at Syracuse U. It is very beautiful and there will be football tomorrow. Go Orange! I am 19 or 20. My first art project was a monochromatic collage. The prof is awesome. I chose orange.

suziehammond 10-03-2012 05:57 AM

dotcom I love your memory! Hope you make it up into a gorgeous piece if art for us to appreciate.

nancia 10-07-2012 10:39 AM

you might have seen my husband there! you are , i think, younger. he was in the college of forestry. what else for a brooklyn boy? he graduated in '72 and then went for his masters. not in art classes, but he is quite creative.

Julie1 10-07-2012 05:11 PM

Just found this group. Love the concept and hope that it is still going strong. Can't wait to work on October's challenge of a good memory, starting tomorrow. See you soon with a WIP

Julie

suziehammond 10-08-2012 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1 (Post 5569385)
Just found this group. Love the concept and hope that it is still going strong. Can't wait to work on October's challenge of a good memory, starting tomorrow. See you soon with a WIP

Welcome Julie! So happy you found us. We are small but friendly and lively here. You'll get some good ideas from what we all variously attempt to achieve I hope.

Looking forward to your memory idea and a WIP--we all seem to love photos and lots of explanations of what did and didn't work for you.

suziehammond 10-08-2012 03:43 AM

hi all,

As you know I am working on a piece to commemorate our burnt house and wouldn't you know it...it seems to have a mind of it's own! The the fabric I salvaged from the debris doesn't fit with what wants to go on the design wall!!! LOL

The idea is using the Tumbler pattern in a kalidescope of browns, oranges and blacks from light to dark for the fire. Since I am still happy with the direction it's heading I am just going to go with it and see where it leads. Maybe that other burnt piece of fabric is for another work later............ ;) It's been known to happen.

What are you guys up to and how is it going?

Julie1 10-09-2012 07:29 AM

I have decided to work on a piece to remember my many horse back rides. Yesterday, I even drew a horse head. Don't know what I'm going to do with it, but I have started.

julie

goldendog55 10-09-2012 08:31 AM

I'm going to do one about my memories of my grandmother.

nancia 10-09-2012 06:52 PM

julie--your comment brought me to an abrupt halt! i spent hours everyday drawing horse heads, and bodies and fields around the horses. lol! my life revolved around horses!! i would have given up either sister for a horse! i never did get a horse, well actually, there are several horses i've been given, but i've never had them! drawing horses was my start into art! i wonder if i could draw a horse today?
i went to one of my favorite lqs today. they had a 6 foot long arm set up! super cool and just the right size for my lr, which is about to become another part of my quilting room. i won't be getting the la any time soon. it's just under 9 thousand since it's custom made. sounds like another 'horse' to me! i can dream!!:cool:

Tothill 10-12-2012 06:59 PM

What an interesting group and idea. A memory project....

If I think of the older women in my life who are no more, I think of one grandmother who talk me to work with wool (I have not done so for 30 years), a great aunt taught me to bake wonderful birthday cakes and granny gave up on trying to teach me to knit, but willingly made me beautiful sweaters.

I think I can do something, but I will not be finished in this month.