Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017 - En Provence (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/bonnie-hunter-mystery-quilt-2017-en-provence-t283327.html)

ddtrina 12-26-2016 08:33 AM

Pam, I had horrible shrinkage, like the kind George on Seinfeld had. No seriously, my first attempt at triangle in a square came out bad because I forgot to starch the fabric before I cut it. Maybe it wasn't the starch that shrunk it as much as the steam.

katybob 12-26-2016 08:51 AM

Same thing happened to me. I'd forgotten to starch and since I was making HST's I decided I needed the starch. The fabric was good quality cotton, but it shrunk just enough that the pieces couldn't be used. Lesson learned!

lawsonmugs 12-26-2016 09:28 AM

Thank you ddtrina for the morning laugh. I remember that Seinfeld show. lol. I'm so glad I used Bonnie's paper piecing pattern. Seems a lot of you are having a lot of trouble. I wish you luck.

Carol in WI 12-26-2016 01:36 PM

Some guesses that others posted

2 Attachment(s)
I saw these two guesses on the Quiltville site today and thought they looked cool. But of course we still need to introduce the yellow and greens. I have tried to follow some of your examples and introduce some bolder neutrals, but that is still outside my comfort zone a bit:). It is so neat to see everyone's beautiful choices and variation. While waiting for clue # 6, progress is being made on the periwinkle quilt.

letawellman 12-26-2016 04:49 PM

It seems that the Tri-Recs cuts are giving several people problems... in a way, that makes me feel better - now I know it's not just **ME** that was having these problems!!

For me, using the Accuquilt dies and finding the "sweet spot" for the 1/4" seam was what got my triangle-in-a-square blocks going perfectly!!! No trimming, no warped corners.

So, I've spent the entire day working on this quilt, and I'm nearly caught up. All my Tri-Recs blocks are completed (thank goodness!!!), and I have 100 of the 168 lavender/purple 4-patches done. The other 68 are half-way completed, and I'll knock those out tomorrow. Then HOPEFULLY I'll get clue #5 done. Having learned that my eyes are not as good as they need to be for this endeavor, I'll be using my Accuquilt HST die for clue #5. Fingers crossed that I get all these done tomorrow as well.

Is Friday one more clue? Or will it be the assembly instructions/reveal? This is my first BH Mystery, so I don't know what she's done in the past.

NZquilter 12-26-2016 05:20 PM

My, I love those guesses you posted, Carol!
Letawellman, we still have the green and yellow fabric to work with, so I'm guessing we either have one more huge clue or two more clues and then the reveal.

quiltsRfun 12-26-2016 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by letawellman (Post 7726655)
Is Friday one more clue? Or will it be the assembly instructions/reveal? This is my first BH Mystery, so I don't know what she's done in the past.

We still haven't used the yellow and green so I'm guessing we have one more clue before the reveal.

joe'smom 12-26-2016 07:20 PM

Thanks for posting those guesses, Carol. They are both quite beautiful, as is your periwinkle quilt!

Did we ever figure out where we got the idea the clue #2 points wouldn't be stars?

I remember Bonnie saying that we wanted the greens and yellows to have good contrast, so that might suggest they'll be used together in a unit. If it is the last unit of the quilt, it's still possible we'll get the last clue and reveal on Friday. Has anyone seen any guesses/calculations as to what percentage of the quilt we've constructed thus far?

SheriR 12-26-2016 07:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I followed tweety's directions with my EasyAngle ruler and have 64 practically perfect HSTs complete! Cutting to sewing in less than 1.5 hours. I pressed them after we took my Granddaughters to see the matinee showing of SING.

I pulled out my UFO Celtic Solstice while looking for my EasyAngle ruler. I think I have three steps done... I should get'erdun now too!

SoBuzy 12-26-2016 09:55 PM

Ladies, you're Clues are looking great! I also am doing En Provence! I have Clue 1 and 2 completed! Have some of 3 and 4 - hoping to catch up tomorrow! Will try and figure out how to post a pic when Im caught up!