Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Bonnie Hunter's 2018-19 Mystery Quilt "Good Fortune" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/bonnie-hunters-2018-19-mystery-quilt-good-fortune-t300618.html)

joe'smom 02-13-2019 10:09 AM

Looks great, Feathers-N-Fur!

AngeliaNR 02-13-2019 10:23 AM

I got mine basted yesterday. Now I have to quilt it (not my favorite part).

retiredteacher09 02-13-2019 06:59 PM

Feathers-N-Fur: Beautiful!

happylab 02-14-2019 05:30 PM

Feathers-N-Fur, such a lovely quilt top, and creative enlargement borders.

Podunk Princess 02-15-2019 07:41 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Even though I haven't been posting very much, I have been following this thread so I could see all the wonder finishes as they were posted. Everyone has done a great job with this beautiful quilt design. The original pattern colors are pretty but I chose to change mine up a bit when the reveal came out and the orange strings were placed next to the red and neutral 4-patches. I just couldn't put those two colors next to each other and that caused me to have to re-make a couple of the clues that were already done. Now it's "almost" a finished top. After putting on the last border and letting it "marinate" on the design wall, I've decided to add another neutral border so I don't lose my points when the quilting and binding process occurs. It has taken forever to finish this mystery quilt because I only have one afternoon a week to work on it and then only if I don't have something else grabbing my attention during that time. My semi-retirement schedule really interferes with my sewing time. Anyone, here are a few rough photos of the top. It still needs a good pressing before the final photos can be taken but I wanted to share it before this thread runs its course.

toverly 02-16-2019 06:35 AM

Awesome finish Podunkprincess! I really like the black and white instead of the orange. Actually I like all the colorways you chose. Good job.

quiltsRfun 02-16-2019 06:48 AM

Wow! Your quilt is absolutely fabulous, Podunk Princess.

joe'smom 02-16-2019 08:29 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Miss Rita, that's wonderful. I love the tart green with the red and black!

I finally finished my Bonnie colors version star blocks last night. These have to be the ugliest blocks I've ever made -- they are so puckery!

I figured out that my problem with Bonnie's borders was the spiky unit in the first border facing the small spikes of the second border. So I extended the star block rather than the orange block to eliminate that problem

I could continue with the outer border per Bonnie, but my outer border units are scrappy, and they look very odd with my constant orange quilt center. So my options are to use the scrappy orange, put a thin green and then a solid red border, or possibly remake those outer border units, maybe using red and blue instead of orange and blue. Thoughts? For now, though, I am putting all of this away and going back to work on my scrappy version. That may end up being puckery, too, but it won't show as much with the busier fabrics.

Sync 02-16-2019 11:11 AM

Awesome finish Podunk Princess. That black and white along with the sour apple green is a nice combination.

joe'smom, so far it looks good. I not quite sure if I would go to the trouble of remaking those outer border units. Just looking at the picture, I don't feel that the scrappy orange clashes with the rest of the quilt. Just my 2 cents ....

audsgirl 02-16-2019 12:01 PM

This is a lovely interpretation of the mystery, Miss Rita. It cools down the quilt. I did that, too, by changing the orange to purple. You're a lot farther along than I am, and I had been keeping up pretty well, until the last month after I fell. I haven't been down to my sewing room for 4+ weeks. I like your idea of adding an additional neutral border to save the points. I think I will have to try that. Thanks for the idea and the wonderful inspiration.

Leslie