Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   "Fun on the Farm" Free BOM from Eleanor Burns (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/fun-farm-free-bom-eleanor-burns-t298654.html)

NZquilter 08-10-2018 05:43 AM

Jane Quilter, I think we have 18 farmers joining us on this tour of Eleanor's Farm. :)

Hopefully we get to make a chicken block. I've loved chickens since I was a kid. I wonder if all the blocks are going to be scrappy like Joy the Pig... So much fun guessing!

I'm going to try to get a head start on the fence sashing soon. Just finishing up my Summertime quilt top made from the swap Judith led here on the QB. It's a bit late for this year's summer celebrations, but there is always next year!

Judith1005 08-10-2018 06:55 AM

NZ, on the Facebook group, I guess they had requests from Eleanor Burns for coordinated yardage. And, she specifically stated this quilt was designed to be a scrap (buster) type quilt.

I can't wait to see your Summertime II Quilt NZquilter. I still have mine in the design phase. I have one block to finish embroidering for the Summertime I Quilt before it is completely done.

NZquilter 08-10-2018 07:05 AM

I didn't know that, Judith. That's great that she designed it as a scrap buster quilt! That way each and every quilt will be different and personal. So nice!

Judith1005 08-10-2018 07:34 AM

On Facebook, the even had some who did black pigs. It's some type of specific type of pig.

I agree, I like the idea of a Scrappy Farm. I like being able to use what I have on hand.

QuiltE 08-10-2018 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Judith1005 (Post 8108932)
On Facebook, the even had some who did black pigs. It's some type of specific type of pig.

Originally Posted by Judith1005 (Post 8108932)
I agree, I like the idea of a Scrappy Farm. I like being able to use what I have on hand.

Here you are Judith ... here's a chart with photos of different breeds of pigs ....

http://www.ontariopork.on.ca/Portals...-05-172519-073

There are more than 29 different breeds (around the world) that are raised for pork.

Yorkshire, Landrace, Duroc and Hampshire are the popular breeds, here in Canada.
Though you will find others.

sJens 08-10-2018 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 8108943)

Here you are Judith ... here's a chart with photos of different breeds of pigs ....

http://www.ontariopork.on.ca/Portals...-05-172519-073

There are more than 29 different breeds (around the world) that are raised for pork.

Yorkshire, Landrace, Duroc and Hampshire are the popular breeds, here in Canada.
Though you will find others.

Thanks for posting this chart. I am not a farmer and have always thought there was one kinda pig. Guess you keep on learning no matter your age.

lawsonmugs 08-10-2018 08:05 AM

QuiltE that was interesting. I have raised hogs one or two at a time for the meat. I never knew what the breeds were. Most were either white or black with a white band. Once we raised a red one. Always liked raising 2 at a time as they have competition on eating and do so well. Also like having a good sized pen for exercise so they aren't fatty. Since it's mostly just my husband and I now we don't raise any hogs. I bet the black and white scrappy pig was cute too.

QuiltE 08-10-2018 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by sJens (Post 8108952)
Thanks for posting this chart. I am not a farmer and have always thought there was one kinda pig. Guess you keep on learning no matter your age.

Originally Posted by lawsonmugs (Post 8108954)
QuiltE that was interesting. I have raised hogs one or two at a time for the meat. I never knew what the breeds were. Most were either white or black with a white band. Once we raised a red one. Always liked raising 2 at a time as they have competition on eating and do so well. Also like having a good sized pen for exercise so they aren't fatty. Since it's mostly just my husband and I now we don't raise any hogs. I bet the black and white scrappy pig was cute too.

sJens and LawsonMugs
Yes, lots of breeds of pigs .... just as there are for dogs, cows, horses and and and ....... :)

Glad it helped you be a little more aware of the food that we eat and where it comes from.

RedGarnet222 08-10-2018 09:01 AM

I live in the north valleys of reno. It is above reno on the north side. My friend connie who lives a couple valleys from me has a pet potbelly pig that would even come into her house! It was surprising to see, for sure. She had a huge white parrot, a donkey, horse and an assortment of chickens. A very fun time to visit there and buy her eggs. They were all colors and very fresh!
Now sue who lives only one valley away, has llamas, rabbits, and horses. I enjoyed her home only once, but it was so interesting and fun to pet them.

I finished my pig last night but my canera had to be charged up before I could post. Dang it.

Judith1005 08-10-2018 09:15 AM

Yeah Red, so good to see your here.