Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/grand-illusion-bonnie-hunters-mystery-quilt-2014-a-t255071.html)

joe'smom 12-17-2014 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Nanny's dollface (Post 7011061)
I did read that BH asked not to post alternative sewing instructions on her FB, which is within her rights to ask since it is her FB.

I believe this is one of the examples of the errant policing I was referring to. As far as I know, Bonnie herself never requested that people not share alternative (correct) methods for doing the clues on the Facebook page, and has, in fact, posted positive comments about some of the alternative methods that have been shared.

edit

To clarify, I believe what Bonnie asked is that people not post instructions for the quilt -- whether hers or alternative methods -- on their own pages and blogs. She wants instructions for the quilt to appear on her blog and Facebook pages only.

baronreads 12-17-2014 08:01 AM

Question about borders, binding and backing. Is it too early to buy this? Will any of these things change based on the final design? I've been perusing fabric on MSQ but didn't want to jump the gun or buy something I won't be able to use. Thanks!

Nilla 12-17-2014 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by baronreads (Post 7011459)
Question about borders, binding and backing. Is it too early to buy this? Will any of these things change based on the final design? I've been perusing fabric on MSQ but didn't want to jump the gun or buy something I won't be able to use. Thanks!

Bonnie seems to have an affinity for pieced borders so that is probably incorporated, at least somewhat, into the yardage requirements she already gave. Likewise, with backing, if you prefer to use one fabric you can, but you can also piece your backing. I like using 10-20in squares myself, but have been known to do an intricate backing at times. If you need an excuse to buy fabric though, then yes, you should buy fabric!

michelleoc 12-17-2014 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Windblown (Post 7010879)
I have all of the clues cut, about half sewn. I got this fabric for the backing, the green grass like strip will be the edging.
I do want truthful answers here because I don't know if this fabric is too pale in tone for this quilt. It also has a lot of pink in it, I did not use pink but purples and lavenders. I chose it because it has black and purple, pale yellow and lots of different greens. So what do you think?[ATTACH=CONFIG]502794[/ATTACH] Yay, I got a photo to upload.

The fabric is beautiful and all the flowers are so reminiscent of the Grand Hotel, I think it's perfect. And that green stripey fabric for the binding? Lots of green/white stripes at the hotel as well. This fabric will look great!

whitepine 12-17-2014 08:45 AM

Windblown, I sure like your purple substituted for the pink. It really works and gives a whole new look to the quilt.

I don't think it's too early for backing and binding ideas. We know all the colors that will be in the quilt and we know the proportion of the colors, so, I say go for it.

SunlitenSmiles 12-17-2014 09:26 AM

I am thinking of an allover geranium fabric for the back, but that would require shopping so I will probably use the large black and white check ( in my stash 2 years now :rolleyes: ) for the back...like the flooring.... and then use the same check for the binding but maybe cut it on the bias even though it is a straight sided quilt ... unless I just happen to find the perfect geraniums.

Emma S 12-17-2014 09:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just wanted to share the fabric I found at a garage sale last summer. It was one of those fabrics that begged to come home with me. Truthfully, I wondered how I could use it in a quilt because it is totally directional. Well I think it works for a back. What's your opinion?

joe'smom 12-17-2014 09:53 AM

Emma S, I would say it definitely works!

I'll often start thinking about backing before the quilt is done, but I tend to wait to buy backing fabric until I have the quilt top finished. Unless it's an obvious decision, like muslin backing, or a fabric within a single line I've used in the quilt, I usually take the finished top to the LQS and choose a backing there, or at least, get a firm idea of what direction to go in.

SunlitenSmiles 12-17-2014 10:14 AM

Oh yes, Emma that is perfect !

brookemarie19 12-17-2014 10:36 AM

Windblown, I love your fabric choices and the backing will look gorgeous with it!

Emma, your backing fabric is just beautiful. It will be awesome when you're done

I have all my clue 1 done and clue 2 except for pressing the last half. Hope to finish that as well at get 3 cut out. I have been working on a few book covers for the composition book for my youngest two kids as well as my two nephews. I hippie to get some pics up tonight of my clues as well as show off my covers. So proud of them. They came out way better than I thought they would.