Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/grand-illusion-bonnie-hunters-mystery-quilt-2014-a-t255071.html)

Podunk Princess 01-01-2015 05:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I've been busy sewing most of the afternoon and finally took a break to feed the DH and catch my breath. I'm so glad Bonnie revealed this quilt today instead of Friday because I work weekends and wouldn't have had a chance to "play" with it until next week. Here's a couple of photos of my blocks....one without the sashing and one with. I'm pretty happy so far with the way it is turning out and glad I chose more constant fabrics for this mystery quilt.

joe'smom 01-01-2015 05:28 PM

I'm still enthused about the pattern. There are some people on Facebook who have made considerable progress, and when you see several blocks together, the pinwheels really look like they're spinning!

Very nice, Podunk Princess! Thanks for posting photos!

Windblown 01-01-2015 06:35 PM

Podunk Princess I think I like your color way the best! The more muted the better it looks to me. This is my first scrappy and BH Mystery so I'm learning a lot.

VickiM 01-01-2015 06:57 PM

PP...love the muted colors & the fact that you won't have to scramble to try to tame it like the rest of us are going to have to do...smart choices!

joe'smom 01-01-2015 08:24 PM

There's a photo of a finished mini GI on Facebook that I think is really effective! As far as I can make out, the person used purple for yellow, red for pink, green for aqua, and aqua for green. The neutrals are white. The illusion is remarkable. There's so much movement, and I see that the white squares in the sashing add to the effect. It's like dappled sunlight under trees. Fascinating! I tried linking to the photo but it didn't work -- probably not allowed?

joe'smom 01-01-2015 08:51 PM

Yes! Doesn't it look different with the neutral and sashing as the only lighter colors? You don't get that on-point secondary pattern that comes out in Bonnie's version.

zozee 01-01-2015 09:32 PM

I agree. Solid pink .

Originally Posted by carrieg (Post 7029789)
Prefer the solid pink much more.

zozee 01-01-2015 09:37 PM

I just looked at the reveal, having done 2 out of 5 clues thus far (almost). I'm another person who thinks it's too busy. Glad I chose to stick with just 1 white,2 blacks, 1 yellow, a few pinks, 3 greens, 3 aquas, rather than scappy it all up . I have come too far to jump ship, but I will using solid pink in the center, I believe, instead of the busy 2-color center. It is just not something I would want to stare at unless I calm it down with larger solid centers. We shall see.

pennycandy 01-01-2015 11:56 PM

So glad I was too busy with other projects to start this MQ. Add me to the list that find it too busy. The colors don't go with any of my rooms either. Please keep posting pictures of your work, I like looking at the changes! I've downloaded the instructions and may make this some day with modifications and different colors. I'm considering a solid sash between the aqua cornerstone instead of all those squares.

Sadiemae 01-02-2015 01:18 AM

There were two on the fb page that were blues, greens, and one with purple that were not scrappy that I really liked.