Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/grand-illusion-bonnie-hunters-mystery-quilt-2014-a-t255071.html)

joe'smom 01-02-2015 05:10 PM

No offense taken! Tastes vary. I daresay this isn't the first time this has happened in the history of mystery quilts. It's the chance we take when we sign on.

DogHouseMom 01-02-2015 05:55 PM

WhitePine ... I had that idea too, switch the "new" aqua cornerstone to a green cornerstone and really get a nice secondary spin of greens. Your's looks great, I used scrappy greens so I'm going to have to try a few blocks out to see if works as well as yours does. Some of my greens might be too dark to get the same effect, and I really (REALLY) don't want to do any more ripping to swap them out.

Sorry to hear so many don't like the pattern as everyone has worked so hard. I'm fortunate, I do like it - but it's not a pattern I would have picked (or at least not in these colors). I like it for it's cleverness ... the secondary pattern of two on-point blocks is brilliant (which not everyone is seeing, mores the pity). The reveal wasn't totally unexpected as I know from looking at some of her past MQ's that Bonnie likes "busy" and she is VERY clever at designing secondary patterns. I am turned off by the colors, and I knew that going in when I looked at the palette, but I still chose to keep the MQ colors. The quilt will be finished, and it will probably just be an "extra" quilt for a cold night in the guest room. If they don't like the quilt, there's a Motel 6 somewhere they can sleep.

Keep the alternates coming, I'm still following and I might take my blocks out to play tomorrow. Today was devoted to Dear Jane. Made my first block (yeah!) then totally screwed it up when I trimmed it to 4.5". Can you say STOOPID??

Rhonda Lee 01-02-2015 06:17 PM

I really liked this pattern, my fabrics are more subdued than Bonnies and I think it will turn out wonderful. I don't think I'll have it finished anytime soon. Still in the cutout stage.

pewa88 01-02-2015 06:25 PM

So glad I was not able to start this quilt. I had fabrics all picked but due to unforeseen problems was putting it off til after Christmas. I am in the "do not like" camp. Love the colors, never used them together in a quilt before but the "spinning" is too much, makes me dizzy.

pewa88 01-02-2015 06:31 PM

Now I love that paper pieced block.

NikkiLu 01-02-2015 06:37 PM

Me too! My fabrics were all pulled and in a separate tote and I printed off all of the instructions, pictures, etc. We had two deaths in the family, and I wasn't able to start. Now, I will be putting all of my fabric back. Just don't like it.

Originally Posted by pewa88 (Post 7031378)
So glad I was not able to start this quilt. I had fabrics all picked but due to unforeseen problems was putting it off til after Christmas. I am in the "do not like" camp. Love the colors, never used them together in a quilt before but the "spinning" is too much, makes me dizzy.

Tweety2911 01-02-2015 06:48 PM

Thanks so much for posting your pictures...enjoyed them so very much!! I am in a holding pattern because I have to get three memory quilts finished this month. I look forward to seeing more pictures each day. Great job :thumbup:
I love making BH mystery quilts. The reveal is so exciting!! I plan on finishing this for my niece that lives in California.

Kassaundra 01-02-2015 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by pewa88 (Post 7031390)
Now I love that paper pieced block.

LOL judging by your avatar that isn't surprising. lol (which is beautiful by the way)

fatquarters 01-02-2015 07:40 PM

I have so much enjoyed watching everyone's progress on this quilt, and some of them are turning out very nice. I love the mysteries, and the excitement, and chatter, and I really love Bonnie Hunter. However I never got this one started because of family stuff and the holidays, and now, I don't think I will. after seeing the reveal, I think I will choose to spend my time doing a different Bonnie quilt, I have had several on my bucket list that I would prefer to do, but I so admire Bonnie for doing this for everyone, what a wonderful way to bring quilters from all over the world together!

joe'smom 01-02-2015 08:18 PM

Those of you who are distressed by the pattern, if you flip the broken dishes at the outside corners of the blocks, so that the black squares are at the outside corners, it settles the whole thing down, with an effect similar to the added sashing some of you are trying, but much less obtrusive. You also lose the on point black secondary pattern. It is all more quiet and settled this way.