Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/grand-illusion-bonnie-hunters-mystery-quilt-2014-a-t255071.html)

whitepine 12-31-2014 03:05 PM

Love your fabrics, Doghousemom, great display of your units.
I was waiting for the story behind the threading the needle with your toes. You have a very bratty husband. :)

I like to try to do things left-handed, just for the heck of it. Especially the mouse and the phone, when my right hand gives out or goes numb. My husband writes right, kicks left, has no concept of left or right but never fails at north, south, east, west. I have read that the hardest thing to switch is brushing your teeth.

QuiltingAddict, Maybe if your ride Judy's next mystery train you can whip us up some omelets. Or just come on over to my house anytime.

Very pretty colors Irish. Love that blue.

I'm only doing 1/4 of the quilt and am a bit worried that it's not enough for the pattern. Hope it works.

Pam H 12-31-2014 03:25 PM

Whitepine, if your right hand gives out you will have to invest in an electric toothbrush. That's what I bought my mom when she broke her shoulder. As well as some large handled knives and crochet hooks due to her losing her grip.
I'm doing a little over half the blocks and I anticipate I may have to make more of some if not all of them. Heaven forbid I made extras!

DogHouseMom 12-31-2014 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by whitepine (Post 7028624)
You have a very bratty husband. :)

You've met him!?!?!

SusanSusan33 12-31-2014 05:04 PM

We need a tutorial on ahem "monkey" toe needle threading doghouse!!

DogHouseMom 12-31-2014 05:44 PM

OK ... remember that conversation we had earlier on the naming of the units as "Broken Dishes" and I mentioned that it didn't look like broken dishes to me? Well I finally found time to look it up in Barbara Bachman's book.

The unit we made in clue #1 matches a block called "Homeward Bound" attributed to Nancy Cabot in 1937.
There are 4 examples of "broken dishes" in BB book, none of which match the unit we made.

that said ... I really don't care. It's Bonnie's quilt and she can call it whatever she wants :) Just thought I would share what I found if any others were curious about this kind of stuff like I am.

I must confess though ... even more than being curious about "what block is this" I am really curious about how some of the blocks got their names!!

quiltsRfun 12-31-2014 09:13 PM

Guess what? Bonnie posted the reveal! Two days early. YAY!!

It's not at all what I expected but I really like it. Can't wait to get into the sewing room tomorrow morning!

SusanSusan33 12-31-2014 09:33 PM

Bonnie posted the final quilt. Wowsa! I loooove the final reveal. And more importantly my daughter who im making the quilt for does also. I have no idea ilhiw to resize the borders for a full size. Gotta work all that out. I'm thinking 4 blocks across and 5 down. Hope I can make it all work out. Gotta get to more sewing tomorrow hopefully.

Im Taking the kids and their friends to sky zone. Trampoline rental place. Lots of fun.We are winding down. Big New Years eve party here with lots of kids and fun times.

Happy new year mystery quilt friends!

SusanSusan33 12-31-2014 09:34 PM

Lol at doghouses video!!

quiltsRfun 12-31-2014 09:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK, I couldn't wait. Here's what I put on my design wall tonight.

Nanny's dollface 12-31-2014 09:55 PM

I showed DH the MQ finale... " OMG that is a busy quilt" . LOL I guess he is used to traditional quilts, civil war quilts, and appliqué wall hangings. This quilt was definitely out of my comfort zone; however, I will finish Parts 2 and 4 this week and put it together. It will be interesting to see how this all turns out.