Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/grand-illusion-bonnie-hunters-mystery-quilt-2014-a-t255071.html)

Sophie2 12-30-2014 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra (Post 7027336)
I also have no concept of left or right w/o looking. Your left index finger and thumb make an "L", I hold up my hand all the time to see which one I mean.

My DH always tells me, "your other right" when I go left instead of right!

QultingaddictUK 12-30-2014 04:22 PM

Well done you ambidextrous folks, I am primarily right handed but as a retired Chef I can manage 4 omelette pans at a time using both hands, used to be a Soux Chef in the Outer Hebrides and the Head Chef insisted on putting omelettes on the "Tour" menu who had just done a multi hour rough ferry crossing, you learn quickly with a hard Chef and a grumpy load of tourists! Still am ambidextrous to this day on many things :)

DogHouseMum love your choice of colours, super duper.

DogHouseMom 12-30-2014 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra (Post 7027336)
I also have no concept of left or right w/o looking. Your left index finger and thumb make an "L", I hold up my hand all the time to see which one I mean.

Hmmm ... so does your right hand if you hold your hand so your middle finger is pointing toward the ceiling :)

I did TRY to keep a saying in my head when we are driving. If my husband is driving I am right.
Unfortunately, we go to England a lot so ........

Kassaundra 12-30-2014 05:48 PM

The right hand makes a backwards "L"

DogHouseMom 12-30-2014 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra (Post 7027490)
The right hand makes a backwards "L"

Palm facing you, fingers up and thumb out.

When someone tells you to look at your hand, do you ordinarily look at the palm of your hand, or the back of your hand?? I usually look at the palm of my hand, so my right hand forms an L. I think that's where the confusion (on my part) started. OK ... not only do I not know right from left, apparently I'm looking at the wrong side of my hand as well!!

Despite the above, I have a very high IQ. Honest.

sheesh ... back to prepping a quilt for binding.

VickiM 12-30-2014 07:33 PM

Got step 2 done today...starting step 3 tomorrow...YEA! :)

Emma S 12-30-2014 07:34 PM

DogHouse Mom: Can you really thread a needle with your toes? I will believe almost anything but.......! I wonder how many people have that left right thing. The first drivers test I ever took the tester said one more turn and I would have flunked because I always turned the wrong direction. Yeah high IQ, all that meant for me was "You don't live up to expectations."

Pam H 12-30-2014 09:28 PM

When my youngest was in kindergarten I helped out in the classroom quite a bit. My daughter wore a little ring on her right hand and I would tell her "your ring is on your right hand". The teacher was pretty old and maybe getting a bit senile. I heard her telling my daughter one day that her left hand was her right. No wonder some people have problems!

SunlitenSmiles 12-31-2014 01:16 AM

oh, yes, and 'stage right' in Ballet

no fears folks, doing things with 'opposite' hand is supposed to help prevent plaques in the brain.

? that is a hand sewing needle not a machine needle ?

sewbizgirl 12-31-2014 06:56 AM

Great blocks, DogHouseMom.... I'm anxiously awaiting the next clue on Friday.