Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/grand-illusion-bonnie-hunters-mystery-quilt-2014-a-t255071.html)

sewbizgirl 11-19-2014 05:40 AM

Thanks for showing your beautiful fabrics, bennie...

Anita, (ILoveToQuilt), I couldn't help but notice the quilt in your avatar looks like it was made with similar colors to the Grand Illusion color scheme. It kind of gives us a preview... :)

Cam's gram 11-19-2014 09:22 AM

SunlitenSmiles, not sure what you mean by ND33, but right now I am putting finished squares together for a king size quilt top, have a quilt loaded for machine quilting, have another 2 waiting their turn and I have no idea how many quilts I have the material and patterns for. When I was working, if I saw something, I bought every I would need to make that quilt. My stash isn't a real stash - almost everything is earmarked for a quilt so do I need to get the material for another quilt??? No, but that might not stop me. I have bought more since I retired. Now if I just live long enough to finish all of it!

dianeinsterling 11-19-2014 09:41 AM

I'm in. This will be my first BH quilt. Can't wait to get started. Three friends that I sew with will also be doing the Grand Illusions Quilt.

ILoveToQuilt 11-19-2014 12:47 PM

Sewbiz: I am partial to the "hot" colors, so this MQ is right up my alley! Since I tend towards those colors, didn't have to buy any fabric with the exception of the yellow.

Yes, the FB page (Quiltville Open Studio) is full of chatter about the MQ and pix of the fabrics folks have chosen. Very similar to the QB, but usually only deals with Bonnie's quilts. Lots of pix of her previous quilts and projects that people have been working on.

Only 11 more days to go!

Cindy60545 11-19-2014 02:27 PM

Well, I've caught up reading this thread. I'm in. This isn't my 1st mystery quilt, but it's a 1st BH one. I've got all my fabrics ironed & ready to go. I've been reading some of the tips for organizing along the way, so I'll probably make use of those suggestions. We've got a group of us going to do this mystery & will be getting together to work on them. This is going to be fun! Can't wait for the 1st clue!

Sophie2 11-19-2014 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Cam's gram (Post 6975647)

SunlitenSmiles, not sure what you mean by ND33, but right now I am putting finished squares together for a king size quilt top, have a quilt loaded for machine quilting, have another 2 waiting their turn and I have no idea how many quilts I have the material and patterns for. When I was working, if I saw something, I bought every I would need to make that quilt. My stash isn't a real stash - almost everything is earmarked for a quilt so do I need to get the material for another quilt??? No, but that might not stop me. I have bought more since I retired. Now if I just live long enough to finish all of it!

I did that same thing - bought while I was working - and I'm still buying if I see something I really like. I have been retired a year and a half and I am making my way thru my projects. I needed to get a couple pieces for the GI.

SunlitenSmiles 11-19-2014 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Cam's gram (Post 6975647)

wow that is what I did also and have been retired 10 years now.....+/_ 25 quilts nowand bearly made a dent, but it is ok my
Daughter and Grandaughter-in-law have both taken up quilting...and ocasionally shopped from my stash, it is so much fun.

must be a different Cam who's your grandchild.....I was referring to a Notre Dame awesome student named Cam.
It is a great name......mabey one day I will have a greatgrandchild named Cameron.

Cam's gram 11-19-2014 03:48 PM

I bought because it was something I really loved and once a material is gone, that's it. I only know of one particular print that has been made more than once. A lady I worked with said "Oh you're buy now because when you retire you won't have any money". Had to explain to her fabric is like clothes, usually do not see the exact same thing again. She was a dingbat so I didn't even try to explain planning for retirement and what all the company we worked for had for retirement.

baronreads 11-19-2014 04:39 PM

I went shopping today and got most of my fabric. I know I won't make the full size quilt, not sure what size I'll make but only bought 1 yd of yellow as opposed to 1 5/8 yd. Do you think that should be OK? I'm happy with my colors, but feel a little light on the green, even though the green is the one with the least amount of yardage. I still might look for a few more to add. I can't wait to start! I probably won't get to start on Friday since my kids will still be home, but it will be nice to see pics from those of you who are on the ball, before I actually start. I have a few friends who are going to QAL on this too, it will be fun!

miss_sonja 11-19-2014 09:27 PM

I found my yellow and know what I want for the green, blue and pink. Black I have but considering using white for the neutral. I am going with the new American Made solids line.