Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/grand-illusion-bonnie-hunters-mystery-quilt-2014-a-t255071.html)

sewbizgirl 12-31-2014 06:59 AM

Here's one for you: I teach exercise classes and yoga... and have to "mirror" my class while facing them. So I have to say "right" when I'm moving my own left, and vice versa. Out of class, sometimes I get mixed up as to which is my real right and left!

SusanSusan33 12-31-2014 10:20 AM

Doghousemom- I love your colors and your blocks!!

I am a VERY left hand dominant person, but some things I do with my right, like using a computer mouse (feels weird on the left). And I am teaching myself to use the rotary cutter in my right to square off yardage. So much easier than flipping/ turning everything. I can't go as fast and wouldn't try, but it's not nearly as hard as I thought it was going to be...

As far as things MQ- I have more than half my week 4 blocks done and should be able to be finished with week 4/5 *before* week six is posted. That'lll be a first. Next year (I'm already looking forward to next years MQ) I will have all my Christmas crafts done in time to devote more to the MQ.

I hope after the final reveal (this week? Next week?) I'll ne able to adjust the sizing to a full sized bed... Looking at her other quilts I hope I can figure out how to keep the pattern looking right AND have it fit my daughters new bed.

Kassaundra 12-31-2014 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom (Post 7027520)
Palm facing you, fingers up and thumb out.

When someone tells you to look at your hand, do you ordinarily look at the palm of your hand, or the back of your hand?? I usually look at the palm of my hand, so my right hand forms an L. I think that's where the confusion (on my part) started. OK ... not only do I not know right from left, apparently I'm looking at the wrong side of my hand as well!!

Despite the above, I have a very high IQ. Honest.

sheesh ... back to prepping a quilt for binding.

LOL It would have never occurred to me to hold my hand up palm towards me, fascinating how people think differently, with the same information.

Kassaundra 12-31-2014 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl (Post 7028031)
Here's one for you: I teach exercise classes and yoga... and have to "mirror" my class while facing them. So I have to say "right" when I'm moving my own left, and vice versa. Out of class, sometimes I get mixed up as to which is my real right and left!

Oh man that gets me dizzy just thinking about it!!!!!

IrishNY 12-31-2014 11:24 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I finally caught up! I got way behind during the holidays and have been really focused in between other obligations to get the first five clues done. I am doing the half size, which helped. The only scrappy colors are the pinks and aquas, and I switched the green to periwinkle. The colors in the part 5 picture look washed out; they are much brighter than shown.

Now that I'm ready, I can't wait for the next clue. :)

quilt addict 12-31-2014 12:25 PM

I am just getting caught up on the posts since Christmas. I was down with the flu for a week so glad to see an easy week for step 5. I should be able to do that tomorrow for New Years day. I am doing about 2/3 the number and am close to being caught up on the other clues. I enjoy the math and guesses on the layout and what will be next. I have found that I really enjoy the MQ. I think there will be some assembly this Friday.

DogHouseMom 12-31-2014 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Emma S (Post 7027617)
DogHouse Mom: Can you really thread a needle with your toes? I will believe almost anything but.......!

Indeed I can!! Admittedly it's a large curved needle with a fairly large eye, but I can thread it with nothing but my toes. My husband is always making rude comments about all the stuff I can do with my "weird monkey toes" and challenged me to thread a needle, so I did!! I have not been successful with his next challenge (and will not attempt), hang by my toes from the ceiling fan! Wicked man!!!

DogHouseMom 12-31-2014 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl (Post 7028031)

I think my head would just spin off and explode if I had to direct people right/left - get that right, then mirror it and tell them the opposite. Makes my brain hurt just thinking about it.

I just remembered one time that I ALWAYS get right/left correct. When my husband is looking for something in the fridge (and you know what they're like, they open the doors and immediately say "I can't find it" without actually "looking" for it). When he goes to the fridge I will tell him exactly where something is very explicitly ... right side, 3rd shelf from the bottom, behind the ketchup.

No idea why I know right/left in the fridge but no-where else.

DogHouseMom 12-31-2014 01:18 PM

Irish ... I love that black that you are using! Wow ... you got caught up FAST!! Lovely and uniform collection of pinks and aqua's too. Will be interesting to see the periwinkle as well!

grannyrae 12-31-2014 02:40 PM

I am still following this thread as I work on my own. Seeing some lovely fabric combos and well
constructed units. Can't wait to see them all come together.
Happy New Year to you all!